News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Want to add a Voltage meter

Started by Superfly, August 23, 2004, 11:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

Hey All,  I want to add a voltage meter to my bike, & I am wondering what wires in the headlamp bucket everyone uses.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

I tapped the blue(?) wire for the lights from the ignition switch for the guage light, ran a heavy ground to the RIGHT coil mount bolt (the left coil mount bolt is one of the wire harness grounds) and ran the positive wire to switched side of the ign switch to get as direct a reading as i could.

did you find a dash panel? have fun cutting a stock one, their thick!  :o

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

Hey Lucky,

Thanks for the wiring ideas.  I have not found a dash yet, I am still sanding and primering the fairing.  It works great.  I can not believe how much it helps the handleing of the bike.  

The bike's engine is all done, I have been taking her out, and she has been running like a champ.  I know why people love these bikes so much,  because right now she is running great, and a blast to ride.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

kiawrench

fly::
  you have several choices on a voltage meter
 standard marine grade meter, 2 in set up with white face and backlight is popular, @25.00 any marine centr
 http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store   has a couple of really sweet digital setups, one of which i prefer,,, two wire hook up,,, only have to have a single 1/4 inch space to mount the indicator,, this is l.e.d. indicator, colors alert you to the state of charge,, red green amber or combo of blinking  signals your current state of charge. this comes with a cool little decal to identify each light change ,so you dont have to memorize it
 mine is hooked directly to switched power and back to ground side of battery,, for most direct notification of output change.   and it is also the cheapest one i found with a written warranty .i now have one on my vision,my truck and one in my wifes car. am waiting for one more to mount into my boat too( also a stator and magnet system in my outboard )
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .