News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Bridgestone Mag Mopus 90/90-18

Started by Night Vision, July 17, 2007, 07:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

what a cute little tire.... found one tonight when I started taking the front end off StinkBomb ....

I always wondered who put that dinky front shoe on... figured it was the same fool that mounted the rear tire backwards.....

I've read some folklore that this was the original OEM tire on the V?  ??? ??? ??? ???
YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME..... if I ran over a squirrel, it could hide under the front fender  :o

anyway, I'll soon have a rare OEM 1982? Bridgestone Mag Mopus with 8500 miles or less and plenty of dry rot... (but don't worry because it still holds air ) available to anyone who pays shipping  ::)

anyone? Zore?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

The Bridgestone 90/90H-18 Mag Mopus is the OEM front tire on most (if not all) US 82s.  It's not folklore.  That's what came on mine from the dealer back in '84.  You're right about the gap between the tire & fender.  Look at the photo on the cover of the Haynes manual.  You get a good look at the tiny size of that tire.

I may like nostalgia, but I have absolutely no desire to own another vintage Mag Mopus.   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

abogado68

What would be a front tire upgrade on this particular model?

wolf

Yup. It was OEM on mine. Scary tire when you ran it just a little too fast...didn't take people too long to size up with their next tire.

h2olawyer

Quote from: abogado68 on July 17, 2007, 08:31:08 PM
What would be a front tire upgrade on this particular model?

Upgrades are anything in a 100/90H(or V)-18.  No matter what you buy new today, it will be better than the Mag Mopus.  Pirelli Sport Demon, Avon RoadRider, Metzeler Lasertec, Dunlop GT501 and Brdgestone Battlax BT45 are the most common brands & models.  Some are available in a 90/90H-18, but normally, the carcass construction is not as robust as the 100/90-18.  Some manufacturers don't recommend the 100/90 on the Vision's skinny rims as it alters the profile of the tread.  It's really a borderline situation and the 100/90-18 was the standard size for the 83 models.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Quote from: h2olawyer on July 17, 2007, 07:54:50 PM

I may like nostalgia, but I have absolutely no desire to own another vintage Mag Mopus.   ;D

H2O

yeah, but think concors .... little armor-all ... instant points!
;D

Tiger

:D :D :D :D I "trump" you N_V...I took a PAIR off of "The Black Panther", (last winter project), that Lil'Blaster now owns :o and they are in "next-to-new" condition, no rot, cracks, etc :o ;D :D :D :D I may just mount them on my garage wall like a white hunter's trophy ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

I'll see your pair and raise... I have a wall of shame that has hanging...

a toasted stator
petified fork seals
dead YCIS box
and.... ummm... I'll frame them out with the Mopus

heck, I'll throw in the tank and pipes from StinkBomb if they'll fit  :D :D ;D
;D

Tiger

:) I think my six Vision's could top that N_V, and some :o ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Night Vision

;D

Tiger

zore

If it wasn't dry rotton I'd be interested.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

Night Vision

Tiger has two minty ones...

in all seriousness... I am again amazed at the different "size" of a 90/90-18 tire.... my 90/90-18 Avon looks huge compared to the Mopus..

makes me think more that Jeff Swan's BT45 100/80-18 front and 110/90/18 rear setup may be the way I'm going.
;D

zore

Quote from: Night Vision on July 18, 2007, 08:39:42 AM
Tiger has two minty ones...

in all seriousness... I am again amazed at the different "size" of a 90/90-18 tire.... my 90/90-18 Avon looks huge compared to the Mopus..

makes me think more that Jeff Swan's BT45 100/80-18 front and 110/90/18 rear setup may be the way I'm going.

I believe that's the same setup I have.  If they wear well, I'll just keep buying them.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900