News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Blinker trauma

Started by packman85, July 17, 2007, 11:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packman85

SO I laid my vision down 2 weekends ago and in the proccess busted the left front blinker.  So instead of searching for a replacement I just bought all new, much smaller (nearly half as long) blinkers front and rear at the local Cycle Hell (aka Cycle Barn).  Installed them and then the fun began.  Now when I turn the blinkers on, they wont blink, they just stay on.  I havent really paid attention to see if they self cancel after the alotted time.  It could be my charging system, seeing as I belive my stator is on its way out, or it could be that the new bulbs draw more or less voltage then stock therfore screwing things up, or my flasher relay is toast.  Does anyone know a test to determine the problem here? 

Also, contemplating rewinding my own stator, read a few posts on it, doesnt seem to difficult, does anyone have a recommendation on the type/bramd of wire I should use for best results?
"Real men don't need full fairings, go naked or go home!!"

Kevin

They probably have LED's or smaller wattage bulbs and don't have enough resistance for the flasher to work. You may have to get a electronic flasher.

louthepou

I had a similar issue when I changed my original signal lights to small ones - issue was, more watts, not less. So I did just what Kevin suggested - got an electronic flashing thingy (can't remember if it was the 2- or 3-prong one).

It's not self-canceling anymore, but I use my left thumb to cancel it on my own, I'm a big kid now :)

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic