News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Rebuilding alternator stator coil

Started by corwin, July 23, 2007, 01:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corwin

Hi!

A week ago my Vision failed to charge battery, it turned out to be fried alternator stator coil :-\
I know that it is at least the 2nd time in 4 years, previous owner had the same problem, and since then it has run only ~17 000 km.
It is a $100 part and it looks just like i have to 'wait for the next time'... No, thanks!

As this particular part is very sensible to heat, i have some questions and ideas, how to improve that:
- does anyone know the original wire diameter of the alternator stator coil, mine have been rewired with 1,25mm wire!?
- and what if i rewire it with a larger 1,32mm wire: larger diameter means less resistance and thus less heat, even if the difference is not so big, it certainly has some positive effect (actually, one reason is that i just happen to have 1,32mm wire ;) ).
- and perhaps someone can suggest me specific (heat and oil) resistant varnish - if there are too many options - which also could improve endurance regarding vibration and heat.

Or You have other suggestions, ideas?

Thanks!

Night Vision

I would be happy to get 17,000 km out of a $100 stator... I only got 4,000 miles on my first $139 aftermarket replacement...

I am over 2,000 miles on a $30 OEM Virago Stator...

don't see much on re-winding your own here...
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

corwin

You are right. It eventually might take more time and money to rebuild one than to buy even that $100 stator.
If you use Virago stator, then does it have the same dimensions so you could fit it? Wish i could get one like that..

Edit: i looked that XJ600 stator has better isolation, perhaps it is more durable http://motodepoo.ee/details.php?id=1045&grupp=502

Night Vision

The Virago stator I used is slightly smaller in diameter (110mm diameter) and slightly wider than the Vision stator. I had to get longer bolts to fit.

Yes it has nice thick insulation like your picture. I call it a low voltage stator. It only charges around 12v at idle, then gets up to 14.5 above 2,000 rpm..

here is a list of stators that have the same dimensions as the Vision:

Stator Size in mm - outer diameter/inner diameter/thickness through hole
115/54/20.

1.Honda VT500C
2.Honda XRV750 
3.Honda XL600V Transalp 
4.Honda VT500E/FT 
5.Honda VT600C 
6.Honda VT400C 
7.Honda VLX600 
8.Honda VLX400 
9.Honda NX650 Dominator 
10.Honda CBR900RRW-RRY 
11.Suzuki VS800 Intruder 
12.Suzuki VS750 Intruder 
13.Suzuki VS700 Intruder 
14.Yamaha XZ550 
15.Yamaha XV1100 Virago 
16.Yamaha XV750 Virago 
17.Yamaha XV700 Virago 
18.Yamaha TDM850 
19.Yamaha SZR660

when I bought the ElectroSport that only lasted 4,000 miles.... the part number was ESG070
These models were listed on the box it came in

VT500 Ascot, VT600 Shadow, VLX600, XV535 Virago, XZ550, XV700/750 Virago, TDM850, XV1000 Virago, XV1100 Virago.... they don't say what years...

maybe you can find a TDM850 stator where you live.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

George R. Young

First, I've never rewound a stator.

The thicker wire idea is interesting, but it might prevent you from putting in the required number of turns in the space available.

I've read that there are wires with fancier coatings (e.g. teflon) that are more tolerant of high temperatures.

inanecathode

Who you really need to be talking to is people who build brushless motors for rc cars and planes.
That being said, its quite easy to rewind your stator. Don't quote me, but basically its wrapping a pole, skipping a pole, wrapping a pole, skipping a pole so you end up with 3 lengths of wire wrapped around different poles.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

kwells

yes easy job...in fact I have 30 spare stators I did while I was on the can
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

dj

Quote from: kwells on July 25, 2007, 02:04:20 AM
yes easy job...in fact I have 30 spare stators I did while I was on the can

Man Kwells, you need more fiber in your diet if you are on the can long enough to do 30 stators.   :P
2008 Honda Rebel (Black)

corwin

NightVision, thank You for the list!

I decided to postpone rewiring stator coil and bought another one. I found 4 applicable stators around here for sale and it turned out that the most decent looking was the Vision`s original!  :)
So, today i replaced the stator and quick check showed that I`ve got rid of the problem. On idle i got voltage output around 13.5V - thats not bad!  8) At least it gives me time to think about rewiring the old one  ;)

Corwin