News:

Main Menu

Gas Cap Venting

Started by kwells, June 25, 2007, 04:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aelwulf

Quote from: inanecathode on June 27, 2007, 03:17:50 AM
And if you need any gastanks undented/pored/ and worked out to a primer gray ready to rock i know some people...

Unless you meant you & kwell, where and how much? lol this moving stuff is getting me seriously out of the mood to prep tanks when I get to Cali. :P About ready to pay to ship the main one to someone to be done, then I can do the one that's on it now myself after.  If ya did mean you two, where & how much? lol

I've had mine geyser once after filling it up then putting the cap right on and standing it upright quick.  After filling it up to near-full at the station then pulling it up easy it didn't do it.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

inanecathode

Depends on how bad the tank is, and if you actually have the tank with you. How much depends on how bad the tank is of course plus materials plus my cut of course :P
You still in fountain?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Aelwulf

For the moment yeah.  July 10th I'll be in an extended stay apartment place in the Springs up off Fillmore & I-25 until August 15th-ish.  I don't have the bad tank, it's now in California with my household goods.  the other one I still have but need it to ride the bike. :-\

*thunk*
What was that?!

inanecathode

Ah, ok then. I won't order an extra thing of por15 then.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

kwells

here's a pic of my remake

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

MotorPlow

This is what I found from one of my old posts:

Quote from: MotorPlow on August 20, 2006, 09:11:03 PM
Quote from: h2olawyer on August 14, 2006, 01:13:19 AM
No hurry on finding the picture, MP.  I've lived with the overflow problem for quite a few years now so a while longer won't be a big deal.  Thanks for taking the time to get an image of the gasket!
H2O

Okay, this is what I found...
I didn't actually photocopy the new gasket that I cut, but I did keep the old gasket and found a drawing I made of what the gasket is supposed (?) to look like. I do remember when I made a new gasket that I used the gas cap parts to trace onto the gasket material to get an accurate outside diameter. I them used the other gas cap pieces to get approximate sizes and then kept cutting the gasket material a little at a time to make it fit. Yes, I know the drawing is hideous. However, the cross hatched sections get cut out. On the inside of the gas cap it's self, there is a small cotton plug that keeps the gas from splashing out. Then there is also a very small "track" that the gas vapors (or is it fresh air) follow to vent the tank. The gasket needs to work with that track as it winds it's way around the top of the inside of the gas cap.

PS: If anyone can resize this .jpg down to a more reasonable size, please do and email it to me. I will up load it to my server and repost it. Computers and I are not getting along today.  ~Thanx H2O

jasonm.

You did good to replace the gasket. The other issue is the filler neck. Because when you fill the tank. There is only one way for expansion when hot. The filler neck. I drilled 2- 1/16" holes at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock just 1/2" down from the top. Use a 12" long bit. They are flexible enough to get you in there. Now when there is expansion it rises evenly in the tank. I can truly fill'er up now. And not worry about a gas bath.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Aelwulf

Quote from: jasonm. on July 20, 2007, 07:42:21 PM
You did good to replace the gasket. The other issue is the filler neck. Because when you fill the tank. There is only one way for expansion when hot. The filler neck. I drilled 2- 1/16" holes at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock just 1/2" down from the top. Use a 12" long bit. They are flexible enough to get you in there. Now when there is expansion it rises evenly in the tank. I can truly fill'er up now. And not worry about a gas bath.

You have a pic of that by chance?  I think I've had this happen twice on mine in the past week or so with the heat.  The first time it overflowed a decent bit then sank back down again, confuzzled me I must admit.

*thunk*
What was that?!

Night Vision

Quote from: jasonm. on July 20, 2007, 07:42:21 PM

hmm, since I haven't por'd the project tank yet, I'm going to try that.... now all I have to do is find a 12" bit?
I don't recall ever seeing a bit that long except a wood bit

wait a second... I have a right angle adapter and and a brand new Makita drill  ;D
I smoked the craftsman wire brushing the swing arm last Sunday  >:(

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

jasonm.

I will clarify. There is a groove that goes all the way around inside the filler neck. That's basically where I drilled. I have done it on 2 Visions. Go slow and don't push hard on the drill. If you have gas in the tank. I suggest greasing the bit. I had gas in both times I did it. Takes just seconds with a sharp bit. Also drill it after you seal the tank with POR15. Otherwise you'll just clog the holes.  Maybe Home depot a good tool or hardware store will have such a bit.12" x 1/16".  Sorry, I don't have a digital camera...yet.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Cdnlouie

Jason, did you happen to do your Venture tank as well?  I should do that to mine, since it takes so much time to squeeze in about another liter (or US quart) of fuel and that really helps with adding a few extra miles to tank ups, especially on a long tour.

This is a good idea on these style of tanks,

Louie