Main Menu

POR'ing two tanks

Started by Lucky, May 05, 2012, 08:36:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

As if one wasn't enough of a pita..
Since i'm working on a budget, i used Superclean instead of Marine clean. Spectre bought a quart of Metal Ready & a quart of POR (package price).

My tip to get the last of the water out of the tank (and any dry bits beforehand): I Duct taped a piece of 1/2" pvc to the hose of a mini shop vac & use that to suck out the rust before the first rinse. it's thin enough to go down to the bottom of the r/f low spot. 

After you've drained all the water out of the petcock hole, use the same procedure to get any 'running' water left in the tank out, this way you only spend a few minuets getting the tank to the hair dryer stage & it's easier on the arms.  My hair dryer rig pictured below: (handle of a fly swatter taped to the drier)

tomorrow more drying then POR!

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

carotman

Nice setup you got there!

Lucky

Jimustanguitar

I'll be doing this soon too. I put POR 15 liner in the tank on my Seca, I was well pleased with the product. I sprayed regular POR15 on the frame (not sure if its any different than the tank liner). I was surprised when the overspray on my visquine peeled off in a sheet and could be snapped like a dollar bill. Its strong stuff!

Drying the tank after marine clean was the worst part, looks like you solved that hassle pretty easily.

This time, I have some Kreem to remove first, wish me luck!

Lucky

Yup, Poring a tank is definatly Boring Intensive, lol.  good luck!

67GTO

Jim,

My Honda CB160 had Kreem in it when I got it. I used acetone to remove it.

Dan
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Jimustanguitar

Another forum said acetone to soften it and a handful of drywall screws for abrasion.

What did you do to plug the hole from the fuel tap? Won't acetone hurt the o-rings and vacuum diaphragm?

67GTO

I bought a cheap replacement gas cap (non vented) to use.

For the petcock hole I made a piece of metel to block it off, and used a piece of

inner tube as a seal.

I put about a 3 foot length of chain in the tank as well.

Dan
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Jimustanguitar

I took the strainer and the rest of the guts out of my petcock (needs a rebuild anyway) and screwed it right back on the tank with a cork gasket. No metal fabrication required. At first I was worried that the rubberized cork gasket that I made might get melted by the acetone (the rubber part of it at least...) Well, it's been several days and I haven't sprung a leak, so I think she's good to go.