News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

YellowJacket! Gets a Major Front End Overhaul Long post- Updated - 8/2/07

Started by YellowJacket!, July 24, 2007, 06:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

YellowJacket!  Is back on her feet again but she’s not quite ready to run yet.
I finished some schoolwork early today and decided to go out into the oven, um sauna…I mean garage and work on YellowJacket!’s front end some more.

I had reassembled the lowers last weekend but didn’t get a chance to take any pictures.  Basically, everything was in reverse order.  I replaced the oil seals with the ones Lucky gave me, replaced the dust seals with some I got online and then slid the damper assembly into the upper tube and bolted it back together.  You will still need the nut and bolt tool as previously described to hold the damping rod in place while you tighten the hex nut.  I clamped the lower assembly into my workmate vise and had my son hold the damper rod tool in place while I cranked it down tight.  I repeated the process for the other tube.

Today, I finished the job by adding the fork oil, spring, cap, spacer and air valve cap and then putting everything back on the bike.
I started by measuring out 9 ounces of fork oil (for the 83 shocks).

And added to oil to the tube…minus the spring and associated hardware.

For the 83 shocks, the manual states to fill to within 5” of the top of the tube.  I made a little cardboard dipstick to measure the distance and was pretty much right on.  Note: I made the measurement after pumping the tube a few times to get the bubbles out.

Here’s my  dipstick:

After that, I installed the spring, spring cap and spacer.

And then placed the Air cap/shrader valve back on and tightened it down good.

I repeated the process for the other fork.  Note to self: remember to replace the drain plug and washer on the bottom of the fork otherwise you’ll end up with a mess on the garage floor.  ;D

After cleaning up the shock pee from the floor, it was time to move on to the bike.

I installed each fork into its respective mounting point and lightly tightened the nuts down to make sure my alignment was correct.  Here’s where you have to remember that the Vision has a TRAILING front axle and not a Leading one.  In other words, make sure you have them on the right sides.

Tighten it all down good:

And, after a little touchup work, I was able to remove the jack and the wooden blocks, and YellowJacket! stood up on her own feet for the first time in over a month!

Here’s a pic of the air valves too:

Next, I have to find a working right side caliper since the one that came with the front end is toast.  I’ll also have to get another SS brake line as well.  I hope to have everything in order in a few more weeks and be able to ride again.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

ironb12s

Quote from: kwells on July 26, 2007, 11:39:54 AM
what's a ten speed?

What you really need to do is head to your local bicycle shop, and ask for a used 27 inch or 700c tube, width and stem won't matter.  Tube changes are a regular item in bicycle repair, and they should have one that they were going to throw away, you can get it for nothing.  One 27x1.25 or 700x25 tube should be enough to cover both sides of the fork lowers...   :)

Or, we can just hang out until KIA gets his shop running and builds up a stock of Vision fork lower bras...   8)
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

h2olawyer

Actually, the clear plastic stick-on front end bra material would be easier to work with - it was discussed in a different thread.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

I went the other way, when I got my 83 fork lowers . They were black and the paint was chipped up , so I applied paint stripper and after all was gone, proceeded to apply lots of mothers , with a sheep's wool buffing pad in an electric drill. It looked so good that I stripped the engine outer cases and buffed them too. I do them every spring and they have stayed very bright.
I don't like all the black paint on modern motorcycles. To my eyes it looks like they were too cheap to finish the bike off and just slapped black paint on everything .   I guess I come from an era when chrome and polished aluminum  were king . :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

Raj1988

Found the thread  ;D. David, the manual explicitly states that the air caps be facing forward. Not sure why. Maybe if the covers pop off they wont hit you in the gut???
My 83 is way too soft and it bottoms out a lot, Can i put in the the spring and the spacer from my 82 forks?

Does it help in firming up the ride at all?
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Tiger

:) The springs in '82 and '83 forks are, in most cases, the same...However, some will have progressive springs that will stiffen things up with no need for air assist. You can always buy a new set of progressive springs... 8)

Also check that the spacers you have are the same/different length... ;) You can make a set of longer spacers from ABS pipe for pennies...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

My 83 front end is VERY stiff with the progressives.  I may have a little too much shock oil in them too.  I'm running neutral air pressure since going with the progressives.  I used the spacers for the 83 along with my new springs but may go with some PVC pipe just a bit shorter.  I may also have to check JUST to make sure I didn't use the 82 spacers which, I think are a bit longer.

David

Raj1988

Looked up the part numbers for the spring and spacers for 82 vs 83. They seem to be different. I will try the swap today. Thanks for the tip abt the PVC

EDIT: thanks for the quick reply guys
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Kiwi

US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Kiwi on April 03, 2010, 02:20:03 AM
i am very jealous of your bike.... so clean !

Looks can be deceiving.  The pictures look good and overall, most of the bike is clean but there are two things I'm not happy with.  The fairing paint job is passable.  Looks good from a distance but up close you can tell that I'm not too experienced with painting.

The motor:  One day mine will look almost as good as 67GTO's does.  His looks absolutely gorgeous.

Anyway, thank you very much for the complement.  8)

David

VFan

Dave,
Thanks for spending the time to document and take pictures of your fork upgrade. I love reading threads like this. They're quite helpful and like all the other help threads add value to the site.

Did your wife see her Pyrex measuring cup full of fork oil?   ;D

YellowJacket!

Quote from: VFan on April 04, 2010, 03:14:18 PM
Dave,
Thanks for spending the time to document and take pictures of your fork upgrade. I love reading threads like this. They're quite helpful and like all the other help threads add value to the site.

Did your wife see her Pyrex measuring cup full of fork oil?   ;D

VFan,
Glad you like it and glad I could help.

Yep, she saw the pyrex measuring cup and I paid dearly for using it.  Fortunately it was only fork oil and cleaned up nicely.  8)

David

Jimustanguitar

Quote from: Rick G on November 11, 2007, 06:01:21 PM
I went the other way, when I got my 83 fork lowers . They were black and the paint was chipped up , so I applied paint stripper and after all was gone, proceeded to apply lots of mothers , with a sheep's wool buffing pad in an electric drill. It looked so good that I stripped the engine outer cases and buffed them too. I do them every spring and they have stayed very bright.
I don't like all the black paint on modern motorcycles. To my eyes it looks like they were too cheap to finish the bike off and just slapped black paint on everything .   I guess I come from an era when chrome and polished aluminum  were king . :D

I did that on my Seca a couple years back, except instead of polishing them, I used a scotch-brite pad to give them a brushed aluminum look and clear-coated over everything. It's very neat to look at, almost reflective because of the bright aluminum underneath a flat coating of clear.

Digging up those pictures really brings back memories :)

Rick G

I'm not a fan of clear coat at all. it gets scratched up and turns yellow . If I go to all the trouble to get the paint and clear coat off, I'm sure not going to put it back on . As I said I come from and era when chrome and polished alloy were king.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

iain

Jimustanguitar

I sandblasted the wheels and gave them a coat of "Sterling Silver" from POR-15. Apparently I did a poor job of it, it required an abnormal amount of weight to balance the wheels.