News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Shiny

Started by Aelwulf, July 25, 2007, 03:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aelwulf

Look what Dennis Kirk's gettin' in soon:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=282760&store=Main&catId=418&productId=p282760&leafCatId=41804&mmyId=

Bit pricey but no mercury or storage concerns, easier to bring with on gatherings for on the fly adjustments, etc. :) Would we need the optional 6mm adapter?

On the topic of tools, what size flywheel puller do we need for when it needs to be done?  Notice I said when and not if... ;)

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

h2olawyer

Flywheel pullers are multi-fit tools.  You can find a good one at Sears and a cheapie (but functional one) at Harbor Freight.  I opted for the Harbor Freight version, as I prefer not to hammer on many of the more expensive tools.  Especially with the pounding required to remove the V's flywheel.  However, I got it before I bought my compressor.  With a pneumatic impact wrench, I'm wishing I'd bought the Craftsman version.

$95 is a lot of money for a carb synch tool.  Get some tubing & fill it with ATF.  Attach it to a yardstick & hang it next to the bike.  Attach each end to a vacuum port on each intake boot & voila!  A manometer that costs under $10 and is very accurate.  There's a diagram on Lucky's site - look in the Vision Artwork section.  I've been using this type for years & it works great.  It can be transported if you plug the ends.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

I wonder if the new fluid would work in my old motion pro manometer..?  i'd have to find a place to dispose of it properly, or flush it....

that was a JOKE! (H2O just stroked out)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Aelwulf

Resurrecting an thread, do we need 5mm or 6mm tubing to make one, or does it matter?  I don't know the mm size of the points they're attaching to *yet*.  Also where would I get the #60 jets for the end, the dealership?  Those're carb jets?

*thunk*
What was that?!

Night Vision

3/16 id vinyl tubing at home depot.....

I mounted the yard stick on a 6 foot 1x3 up about 12-18" from the bottom. Then took a sports drink bottle cap and screwed it to the 1x3 so the tubing makes a nice round tight turn on the bottom.

the 1x3x6 fits nicely in an empty jack stand so you can put it near your bike and not fiddlefuk with the manometer when syncing

get about 20 feet of tubing so you can run it around the bottle cap at the bottom and to the top of the 1x3 (this gives you extra room in case it's really unbalanced) and still have plenty to play with. use zip ties to keep the tube tight to the stick....

you don't need a whole lot of fluid... I think ATF is too thin so I used 15w fork oil... only 18-20" on each leg... it takes awhile to pour it in and let it settle out and balance itself...

don't know about the jets

oh, yeah, make sure the tubes are equal length of course

oh, yeah 1x2 not 3
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

I used extra long tubing - like 25 feet.  I hang it from the garage door track & it sits right in front of my face while I'm fiddling with the synch rod.  How Convienent!   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Aelwulf

The pic looked like a 12-inch ruler so that's what I got, need a yard stick?  Think I can get one at Home Depot when I get the tubing.  The auto shops didn't have any.

Dealership said I'd need to bring in the original jets for comparison to get 'em there, don't care to pull about the carbs right now just for that so will go without for the time being.  Got some ATF, we'll see if it should be oil on this one.

*thunk*
What was that?!

h2olawyer

The yardstick gives you more volume to work with.  A ruler may work, though.  ATF is easier to see in the tubing because of its color.  If the carbs are way out of synch & you are late in disconnecting the tubes, shutting off the engine or evening out the vacuum, it won't harm the engine - but you won't need to worry about mosquitos for a while.   :D

The diagram came from the BMW Airheads forum.  There's an entire article there about the $4 manometer.  Figure credit belongs where it's due!

H2O

kiawrench

i used the yardstick type for a while, but with the number of older bikes / riders that are part of the local community(we all seem to ride the same places and in groups at that) , i had to find a more mobile system. the twin bottle method that was posted online before is perfect for my needs .

i took two clear snapple bottles, two large rubber stoppers and 20 ft of tubing and made one of my own.  after building it and checking it for accuracy against a real meter, it isnt too bad- provided you are able to keep the bottles upright and level to start with.  that is where a little thinking came into play.
i made a small carrier for the two bottles, holding them tightly to each other, and then attached a small leveling vial to the top runner- each corner has a 3 inch screw as a "leg" and when ready to use, i just sit it on the floor near the bike and  level the set up first, the attach it to the bike. our little group of riders are more in sync now than ever,,( lol  lil pun )

surprising thing is - local bike shop doesnt even offer carb sync - no one there is even trained to do it anymore.  oh, this set up also works well for hot rods with dual carbs, and the one car in the area with 4 2bbl carbs has used it too, he matched 1/2 then 2/3 the 3/4 then cross checked 1/4 to double check. car runs better than before and very very smooth idle . i use it on volkswagon air cooled engines too, and as of yet, have not found any engine with multiple carbs it doesnt work on, with a bit of thinkng first .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lucky

The jets are my trick: (i haven't tried this but it seems reasonable)
if you insert one in each end far enough so that you can still plug the hoses into the intake fittings, it should smooth out the pulses

use # 60 pilot jets or smaller.

--Lucky

Aelwulf

Thanks, I'll see about pesterin' 'em again.  I got a 20 foot roll of 3/16 i.d., and a metal yardstick.  For plugs I got a 3/16 to 1/4 adapter and a 1/4 flare.  Flare wound up being too small but the adapter did screw into the bottom of a plastic funnel I have so that helped filling.  Managed to dump some on the garage floor trying to hold it out and up enough for it all to flow down without pooling in a dip.  I managed to over-adjust the idle screw and the first round of ATF went through to smoke out.  After some fixin' the second bunch worked and got it fairly close.  I'm pretty sure my mix is off though so need to see about how to adjust that and sync.  I know there's a screw on each but have to read on how to tell which is what and how much to adjust.  I also need to re-check the sync as-is since after the goof I had to put it on prime to get enough fuel going to start it and forgot to put it back to On.

The bottle one sounds interesting, with potentially a better reserve if it's jacked.

*thunk*
What was that?!

Lucky

umm... instead of trying to pour the atf into the tubing, why don't you just stick one end in the bottle & suck the atf in with the other end?...

Night Vision

Quote from: Lucky on September 24, 2007, 06:55:21 PM
umm... instead of trying to pour the atf into the tubing, why don't you just stick one end in the bottle & suck the atf in with the other end?...

hmmm.... the easy way eh?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Lucky

My apologies NV, i forgot you were here!   ;) ::)

Aelwulf

Probably because I likely have a similar mindset to N_V from the sounds of it. ;) I did wind up using the siphon method to even it out in the tube.

*thunk*
What was that?!

inanecathode

Then cap the ends and swing it like a lasso, keeps the oil all centered in the bottom of the V shaped tube
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ColinthePilot

I just built mine. Got the last wooden yardstick at home depot assempled with zip ties and I'm using a pair of small (otherwise useless) vise grips to keep the fluid in.
On the topic of carbs, where are the mixture screws on the 82 carbs?
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

Aelwulf

Looking in from the petcock they're on the rear underside of the carbs over each cylinder.  The front one should be in the neighborhood of the sync rod locknut.  The other one is slightly hidden but accessible with a long thin screwdriver (doesn't have to be overly long but wouldn't necessarily hurt).  I'll see if I can't toss up a pic in a few of 'em.

*thunk*
What was that?!

Aelwulf

Here's the screw pics:

Front:

Rear:

*thunk*
What was that?!

Rick G

When I was rebuilding carbs I threw in a  synqroniser much like luckys , except it was on a 15 inch of  piece of aliminum 1 X 1/6  I put an aqurium valve  in the line to dampen to occilations caused by the  pressure surges in the  intake tract. You just turn the valve in until the needle or  atf  stoppes bouncing.

I have a four gang manifold  which consists of  four vacuume  gages  with dampening valves ,  I like this type better that the  mercury type  because with the mercury type if you rev the engine  to clear it out , you will suck the mercury out of the  tube and through the engine and then in to your lungs . Besides I don't like handling the stuff
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike