Main Menu

Shiny

Started by Aelwulf, July 25, 2007, 03:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironb12s

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2004169/p-2004169/N-111+10211+600014252/c-10111

This is what you and I are talking about.  Also helpful:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2004173/p-2004173/N-111+10211+600014252/c-10111

I've used both, albeit I got mine from Dennis-Kirk a while ago.  Gauges are safer, and more durable.  I need to get another of the latter, mine got stolen off of my Bandit when I stopped for the night in KS on the way back to CO 2 years ago.
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Rick G

Yep thats it,  I paid  36. for mine   I have a home made hang tank  it consists of a  snow blower gas tank mount on a  revolving book rack . Its assembled from junk that was free, best kind!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

ironb12s

Yes, and the "Bouncing Needles" is caused by the little "check" valve on the line being open just a little too much.  You need to tighten/close the valve until the needle smooths out.  Allow less air thru the valve and slow the reaction of the needle.  It still draws the vacuum, but not as sporadic.

Wherever and however these are aquired, they are universal.  Of course, YMMV, and this wouldn't be aimed at the CBMMA.  I've got a tool that will fit right into that category, with my Bowl Float Level Gauge.  It's a piece of tubing that fits on the bowl drain, as is marked over a 10mm span near the opposite end, like a vernier flask(?).  You make it a tool by putting calibration marks on with a pinpoint Sharpee, or some such.  Put it on over the drain, and open the bowl drain screw, and hold the top mark at the reference point in your manual.  Read it back down counting off your marks to see how many MM the fuel is below that reference point...or if it is over.   :o  Use that to set the floats.

I made this tool when I was TShooting carburetion on a 1993 XV750 for a friend.  We'd done rejetting, idle mixture and float adjustment, but until I actually saw what was happening in the bowls, and made the necessary adjust to the floats, did the bike finally stabilize.

Cost of tool:  I dunno, how much of any size tubing in a 6-8 inch length cost?

This "gauge" is used with the bike running, and can gauge the fuel level at any RPM.  Suspect fuel starvation?  Easy way to find out.  And it is done without removing the carbs or anything else.

h2olawyer

There are directions for making the float bowl level 'tool' in the Haynes manual.  Cost would be under a buck.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ironb12s

That would be obvious.   ;D

Didn't have a Haynes with me at the time...had the FSM.