Started by YellowJacket!, August 03, 2007, 09:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taank

Quote from: kiawrench on August 07, 2007, 10:18:10 PM
little tuner cars out of kia optmas-

HA HA :D never heard kia and tuner car in same sentance before

(Jacob h    "former kia master tech")

YellowJacket!

She's all finished....for now. I test fitted the Shark fairing and you could not see all the rough edges, so I figured it'd be overkill..and too much extra time to round them off.  So, I just finished mounting the shark and it looked good.  Heres some pics of the final product.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Looks HOT (95.5F)!   ;D  Really, I like the update.  Have you thought about making a dash that covers more of the opening behind the shark?  With the extra room, you could add all kinds of gauges & switches, a power port, weapons control, etc.  After all, you no longer need to access the trip meter knob.

Now, you just need to get out & ride it!  At least make a smoke (or lack thereof) test ride after you & Lucky get the temp sensor fitted.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

I have a bunch of the plastic left over and that may actually be a winter project.  95.5 was in the garage at 5pm!  It was actually 98 outside.  Freaken heatwave going on.  Its both hot AND humid.

I did a shakedown ride around the block yesterday.  It was good to get out again.  Lucky and I are supposed to ride tomorrow but both por tags are expired!  :-(  Oh well, may go anyway.  Know any good lawyers?  ;D

Gonna probably ride over luckys tomorrow.  I have a wedding to go to at 6 so we'll see if we have enough time to get it done.

David

h2olawyer

I don't know any lawyers in your jurisdiction - if you ride, expect a ticket or just don't get caught!   ;)

We had hot & humid here last week.  It was upper 90s & 70 - 80% humidity.  Awful!  I'm used to 80s & 15 - 20% max.  At least we got some good rain during that heat wave.  Too bad it all came down at once.  I had 3 inches in 45 minutes about a week ago.  Doesn't match the 12+ inches in 8 hours we had 10 years ago.  Flooding derailed a train in the middle of town (glad none of the chlorine gas leaked) and washed away a trailer park, killing 5.  That was a year after the town was honored for its flood plan, preparations, catch basins & stuff.  A similar storm washed down Big Thompson Canyon on July 31, 1976 & killed 139.  Several of the bodies were never found.  They say storms like that happen someplace along the front range almost every year.

Its in the 90s again for the foreseeable future, but at least the humidity is back down in the 30 - 40% range.  Still high for here, but more tolerable.

The dash project could be pretty sweet.  When I had a shark fairing, I always wanted to do something like that so I could mount a manual fan switch & install a volt gauge.  Was looking into it when the full fairing came available to me.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

67GTO

"A similar storm washed down Big Thompson Canyon on July 31, 1976 & killed 139.  Several of the bodies were never found."

My wife's aunt and uncle died in that one.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

h2olawyer

Sorry to hear that.  It was a very sad time out here.  I know a girl who lost her entire family in that disaster.  Her parents are among the victims that were never located.  She was visiting friends outside the canyon that night.  That was the centennial celebration weekend for Colorado's 100th year of statehood.

I was living in Steamboat at the time, but was in Ft. Collins at the annual Summer Music Camp hosted by Colorado State.  My dad had just brought a friend and me down and was considering heading home that direction.  He looked up at the mountains, saw the dark clouds & decided to take a different route.  He would have missed the flooding by several hoours, but Trail Ridge Road sure would have been treacherous that afternoon with all the rain.  Not only did it rain hard that day, but it rained fairly heavily every day that week afterwards & I didn't have a raincoat with me.  Went to every rehearsal soaked to the bone.

H2O

YellowJacket!

Did the last bit of work on the gauge job with a little bit of help from Lucky this weekend.
We were orriginally going to tap a new hole in the hose junction and put the temp sensor inthere but lucky thought it might fit into the existing temp sensor hole.  It was almost a perfect fit.  He used a slightly larger tapered tap to enlarge the hole just a fraction and the new temp sensor fit right in.
The fun part was getting the junction off the bike.  When I rebuilt YJ a couple years ago, I put all the hoses on before I put the motor back in the bike so my hose clamps were all facing away and down from teh right side of the bike.  I had to take the radiator off to get at one of the clamps which took a while but I was finally able to get it out.
I have some work to do today so I'll try to get it back together in hopes that I can ride it to work tomorrow.
My next project will be final paint and sealer on Euro-Tank and I'll be able to swap them out.

Heres some pics of the hose junction and the new temp sensor.

David

Lucky

Dave!!
Penny just walked by & said if you put another hole in her wall she's gonna tell your wife you had bike parts on the dining room table!
lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

haunter

82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

YellowJacket!

I got everything back together again this afternoon after recovering from my pepper spray incident (see OT forum).  I took YJ out for a 5 min shakedown ride and she fired right up, idled great and ran strong.  Took her back into the garage to burp her since I had the cooling system disconnected and she burped pretty good.  Replaced the tank and took her out for a 15 min ride. Again, she ran great.  It was a slow ride around my neighborhood a few times just to get the coolant flowing and when I got back to the garagem she was peeing all over the place!  There was a steady stream of yellow cooland leaking down from somewhere up inside.  I'll have to pull the tank off and track it down.  My guess is it'll be the temp sensor and I'll have to add a little teflon tape.
The cool thing about the gauges is that I get an actual numeric reading of my temp.  After the slow ride around the neighborhood, the gauge was showing 169 degrees and peaked at 174 after I let it sit and idle a few minutes.  I love these gauges!
Well, off to the garage to find a leak.

David

YellowJacket!

Yup, looks like its coming from the new sensor.  I have to wait for it to cool so I can take it out and apply some plumbers tape.
I was hoping to ride to work tomorrow.  Looks like thats off for a few more days.

David

h2olawyer

At least you can be sure it is now well burped!

I really like all the info it gives.  Once it is all sorted out & not leaking, it should be a great upgrade!  That looks more like a project for Tractor all the time.  

H2O

YellowJacket!

Ahhh.  Success!
I took the tank and airbox off again after things cooled down a bit and sure enough, there was a slow drip coming from the new sensor.  I removed the sensor and applied some teflon tape and reinstalled it.  I ran the bike with out the tank for a minute or two to see if there was any leaks and there were none.
For good measure while I had the carbs exposed and the bike running, I sot a few squirts of carb cleaner into the pilot airs and the other thin brass tube next to them and the bike coughed a little but, call me crazy, now seems to run better.
I put the tank back on, tightened everything up again and fired her up.  After a minute of priming, switched back to run and took her for another spin and.... NO leaks this time.  And....that carb cleaner must have done something because she does definitely run better.  ;D  Im still getting little pops when I decelerate so I'm going to play with the pilots some more and tweak it a bit.

David

YellowJacket!

I rode quite a bit yesterday and all went well without any coolant leaks.  Temp generally stayed between 177 and 186 degrees but went up to 199 while I was sitting at a long traffic light but came down to 180 after I started moving again.
It was quite hot outside too.  The radio said the official temp was 98 but several banks I passed said 101 and my Aerostitch dash gauge that measures outside temp was constantly reading 101 to 102 while I was moving....a bit toasty.

David

Riche

Brian Moffet

I agree, if I wasn't tryin to keep my bike mostly original, that's a really cool setup you've got.

Good job.

Brian

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Brian Moffet on August 16, 2007, 01:39:07 PM
I agree, if I wasn't tryin to keep my bike mostly original, that's a really cool setup you've got.

Good job.

Brian

The way I did all the wiring and such, I can go right back to original in about an hour or so.  I thought long and hard about it because I was wanting so bad to keep mine original but, the gauges really looked functional and I thought I'd give it a try.
For mileage and legal reasons, I took a picture of my original mileage on the gauges, and of course, packed them away nice and such in case I ever (doubtful) sell it.

David

YellowJacket!

Is there some kind of reduction gearing in the stock speed sender drive on the front wheel?  The reason I'm asking is becasue I followed the directions for setting the tire circumference (in mm) and my speed reads about 3 times higher...unless I was doing 95 in  a 35 mph zone. :o
I have set the circ setting to 890mm - pretty much a go kart tire - and it now measures the correct speed.

David

Brian Moffet

3 is about equal to pi, (being 3.141592654...) Did you measure diameter instead?   ;D

Brian