News:

Main Menu

My new DIGITAL Gauge Cluster

Started by YellowJacket!, August 03, 2007, 09:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Brian Moffet on August 20, 2007, 11:57:12 AM
3 is about equal to pi, (being 3.141592654...) Did you measure diameter instead?   ;D

Brian

Nope.  ;D

I measured the circumference of the tire.  I tried several ways too. I first wrapped a string around the tire and then measured the length of the string.  Then I put a paint dot on the tire and rolled the bike down my driveway and measured the space between the dots and I also used the measurements one of the other guys posted. (1280mm).

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

mdskinner731

does your digital gauge cluster have an instruction manual that tells u how to set the speedometer???
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

Night Vision

at first you said circumference was 1955mm... that would be 24.5" in diameter (18" rim plus around 3.5" of tire on each side? would be 25") I think that's close.....

JasonM said 1238mm.....
a bare 18" rim would have a 1436.3mm circumference......

if it's easy to punch in numbers, try 977.5mm.... that's 1/2 the circumference you measured. The Vision speedo pickup has two tabs on it... maybe others only have one?

jest a guess  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Quote from: mdskinner731 on August 20, 2007, 01:21:35 PM
does your digital gauge cluster have an instruction manual that tells u how to set the speedometer???

Yup.  Been trying different settings (measurements to get the speed close).  It even has the formula printed out for calculating circumference in mm based on inches measurements.
David
Quote from: Night Vision on August 20, 2007, 02:06:37 PM
at first you said circumference was 1955mm... that would be 24.5" in diameter (18" rim plus around 3.5" of tire on each side? would be 25") I think that's close.....

JasonM said 1238mm.....
a bare 18" rim would have a 1436.3mm circumference......

if it's easy to punch in numbers, try 977.5mm.... that's 1/2 the circumference you measured. The Vision speedo pickup has two tabs on it... maybe others only have one?

jest a guess  ;)

I tried 980 and it still measured a bit high.  Im going with the 890mm which seems to be the closest in speed.

From the looks of how it works, the inner part of the sensor inserts directly into the stock speed sender assembly on the wheel just like the oem cable. The sensor is probably an electro magnet since it connects to the speedometer via two wires. As the wheel turns, the cable spins inside a housing and generates a speed signal. If I manually rotate the cable, it registers a speed.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)