cometic gasket & price?

Started by Lucky, August 23, 2007, 09:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

anyone have the part # & price? H20?
for the stator cover.
in the pics in Don's write up i see what looks like either the right crank seal or the shift shaft seal.
is that included or just on top for the pic?

Also, i was thinking i might stud the case instead of using the 20+ year old bolts...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

As I recall, the gaskets (I got the one for the clutch side as well) cost about $25 for the pair - so figure somewhere around $12 for the stator gasket.  If you call Cometic, they are very helpful - at least they were when I ordered mine.

The seal in question is NOT included with the Cometic gaskets.

Part # for YAM XZ550 82-83 GEN 018" AFM COVER GASKET is:   EC1062018AF

Part # for YAM XZ550 82-83 CLUTCH 018" AFM COVER GASKET is:   EC1063018AF  (just in case you're interested)

I'll be tearing mine apart this afternoon.  The Cometic gasket has been in there for a year.  I'll see how reusable it is & give a report.

Hope this helps!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

Quote from: Lucky on August 23, 2007, 09:37:04 AM
Also, i was thinking i might stud the case instead of using the 20+ year old bolts...
--Lucky

:) I bought a set of stainless steel off of e-bay...Look real purdy 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

Well, Silver V is now apart.  The stator is toast - continuity between all wires & ground.  Each wire tests to .3 ohms between each pair, so they're still fine between the phases.   ::)   The past failures have all been the same.  A couple also had too much continuity between phases, but the last two were only ground to frame.  The insulation on this one looks great all around.  Nice, even chocolate brown with no crispies on it.

However, this time I experienced a little (very minor) melting in the connector (first time in 4 failures).

As for the Cometic gasket - one word:  FANTASTIC!!!!!  It came off easily, didn't stick to anything & looks like it will work just fine for many stators to come.

Now to tear Tractor's charging system apart and put it on Silver V.  Then, when I get a replacement stator, I can put Tractor back together.  I already have 3 spare R/Rs and all test fine.  Still debating on swapping flywheels as well.  Maybe there's something in mine that creates just the right frequency to vibrate the stator's innards to the point of failure.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

my thinking for the studs was to make guiding the gasket & side covers on easy, especially at the point where the rotor rips the cover from your fingers, lol.

so you used no sealer right? just scothbrited the mating surfaces?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Night Vision

here's a pic of a used cometic gasket compared to a new cometic gasket... the used one came off the left side case I replaced...

still fingering out the software... bear with me

http://www.photoshow.com/watch/xY5dj5TQ

haha that one has jazz  :o  I thought "no line" meant no muzak... guess that's the name of the song
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

No sealer.  Gasket goes on dry.  Kind of tricky getting it all lined up when going together, but sure beats buying a new gasket every time you remove the cover - which is getting to be an annual (twice this year) project for me.  Don't even need instructions any more!  ::)

H2O

Night Vision

use a couple dabs of permatex tack and seal to hold the gasket on next year  ::)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Actually, it sits very close to the right spot.  As I put the cover on, I hold it in place on the front end & everything goes together real slick.  Took a bit of trial & error the first time, but tonight, it went great.

All together & tested.  CHARGE!!!!  14.5 @ idle, drops a bit (14.2) as the revs go up, then starts to climb again.  Too late to give it a true test - that comes on the morrow (Friday).

Tried something different this time.  didn't remove the rubber grommets.  I just pulled the wires through them.  Had to put some shrink wrap on them to get the "new" ones fed back through, but it worked like a charm.  Added just a tad of Threebond 1104 at each wire hole as I pulled them through.  Should seal fine & no grommet cleaning!

I managed to install the new negative cable I recently received from Tiger (Thanks a ton!!!).  If you are debating whether or not to get the new cables, I highly recommend them.  Larger ghauge than stock & nice, soft copper wire.  Plus, Tiger does an awesome job of installing the connectors!  Will do the positive cable as time permits - maybe Friday.  At least now I know I have a very clean, solid ground!   ;D

H2O

don_vanecek

Lucky, been on vacation so this maybe too late, if you order one of the cometic gaskets you may want to see if they will compromise with you on the shipping. On my bill from 12-18-2006, gasket 10.95, shipping, 9.95. They COULD have put the gasket in a big letter for a buck or so.

Stock code on my invoice, EC1062018AFM.

Happy to say I have not tested the durability of mine yet. Well, I guess I did take it off once but the engine had not ran-so it had not gone though a hot and cold cycle. Afraid I did not seal my wires real good however and I had some oil get though, but I only noticed it if I drove the bike a few hundred miles in a day (such as going to Colorado and back).