News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

fan monitor light thought

Started by Lucky, August 15, 2007, 10:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

I'm installing a fan monitor light (12v bulb tapped into the fan plug)

I'm thinking it'd be more noticeable if it flashed, so i thought, use a generic 12v turn signal module.  I'm also thinking i might have to throw in a resistor to make it flash faster than it would by itself with that one tiny bulb.

think a diode would be needed to keep the bulb from completing the curcit?

any thoughts?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Hmmmmm..
That gives me an idea of what to do with one of the two extra lights on my new digital gauges.  Or, now that I don't need the "idiot lights, I can rewire it for other indicators.  The possibilities are endless.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Coil Coyle

Lucky,
          An electronic or motor driven 'Heavy Duty' 2 wire unit will flash OK. You only need the load of multiple lights when the flasher is a bimetal spring switch. They need the current to heat the flasher switch bar enough to bend and 'click'

$0.02
;)
Coil

Tanno

Heavy-duty flashers will flash slower with only one bulb on it. Use a standard flasher and no resistor is needed - this will only dim your light and decrease your flash time. If you want it to flash faster, use an LED (w/ a 820ohm 1/4w resistor inline) instead of a standard bulb.

You could use a 10mm jumbo LED super bright LED and use a 560ohm 1/4w. This would be so low of load on your flasher that the flasher might flash too fast.

Just my 4¢.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Lucky

Stupid simple little job kicked my @ss, so i didn't post results last night.

put the bulb in, wired one side to ground, the other to the blue wire at the connector, works like a charm, & is bright enough.

problem came when i went to replace the shortie stalk that kevin sent me to replace the one i broke when i dropped the bike this spring (i had super glued it back together for a quick fix).  after everything was back together i couldn't get the turn signals to flash.  i had also taken all my connectors apart & sprayed them with CRC, so i thought i misconnected something, then i went thru the tests for the flasher relay, etc & still couldn't get it. 2 hours later i was still at it!

turns out that i had the t/s wires hooked up wrong.  since i've converted them to 1157 bulbs, i had 6 wires to deal with & had my grounds mixed up.. DOH!!

anyway, while i was trying to get them working i had the bike running in the car port, & in the 98 degree heat, the fan came on. i wouldn't have noticed it but the light came on, lol!

--Lucky

Coil Coyle

Quote from: coilXZcoyle on August 16, 2007, 03:34:15 AM
Lucky,
          An electronic or motor driven 'Heavy Duty' 2 wire unit will flash OK. You only need the load of multiple lights when the flasher is a bimetal spring switch. They need the current to heat the flasher switch bar enough to bend and 'click'

$0.02
;)
Coil

Lucky

btw, the bulb i used is Radio Shack # 272-1141, & i modified a panel bulb (just used the socket) from Ace hardware: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1286386&cp=2568454.2632232.2632332.1259239&pg=2&parentPage=family

and used a black paint marger on the white part to blend in with the dash

YellowJacket!

Thats the exact same one I was looking for in my workshop for you the other day. ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

My solution?
Clothesline clip, baseball card.

Tell me you wouldnt hear that at 9k :P
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Tanno

"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

MotorPlow

Quote from: Lucky on August 15, 2007, 10:18:22 AM
I'm installing a fan monitor light (12v bulb tapped into the fan plug)

I'm thinking it'd be more noticeable if it flashed, so i thought, use a generic 12v turn signal module.  I'm also thinking i might have to throw in a resistor to make it flash faster than it would by itself with that one tiny bulb.

think a diode would be needed to keep the bulb from completing the curcit?

any thoughts?

Radio Shack sells all kinds of LED lights, all sorts of colors, including ones that flash all by them little selves. I bought one today (Non-Flashing) for $1.99

George R. Young

MotorPlow

Here is a secondary "Fan Monitor Light Thought"....

I am thinking of putting one of those CPU Computer Fans on my R/R and having the fan for the R/R come on when the Radiator Fan come on all with the indicator light on the dash. Whadayathink?

Lucky

my R/R gets hot way before the rad fan ever kicks on...  cooler airstream gets my vote.

kevin makes these dandy mounting brackets for them.

--Lucky

h2olawyer

As one of the CPU fan users, I have mine come on with the license plate light.  On whenever the key is on.  Those fans use so little power that the V's battery would run it alone for many hours.  If you leave your key on, the lights will kill the battery much faster than the CPU fan will.  One of my pre-ride checks is to listen for the faint whirr of the fan.  While it's a neat idea, I'm a firm believer in keeping things (especially wiring) as simple as possible.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tanno

So far, I just watch my temp gauge. Fan monitor light will go in later. Just for something else to look at. I do have an ammeter and voltmeter on order and thinking on a custom pod for them. They won't get here for about two weeks. We will see.