News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

New Rider

Started by AEB, August 20, 2007, 04:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AEB

Hi everyone
I reterning to two wheels after a few years on four. I am a little out of touch with bikes so decided to buy a retro style. I have today purchased an xz550 (collect it tomorrow). I had never heard of or seen this model before but liked the look and fancied a V engine. Can't add any more but will update after collection and riding my new pride and  joy (hopefully). Any advice, info etc appreciated for a returning biker. I am UK based, are there many UK riders registered on this forum?

QBS

Welcome to the land of Vnary.  You've selected a great bike to get back to riding with.  Unless you have been extremely blessed, you will shortly have a lot questions of a technical nature.  Don't give in to the dark side of frustration.  Hang in there, ask us questions, and you will have a truly unique bike that can be joy to ride.  Where are you in the UK and how mechanically experienced are you?  There may be one or two UK Vnaries on the board.  I'm really not too sure.  But....I am sure that there is a full fledged hard core Vnary in the Netherlands.  He makes a lot of us look like Harley riders. Dig into the Forum data base to find him.

kiawrench

welcome aeb!    no question is silly, so never fail to ask if you need help.

there are many vision riders near you, some closer than others, but i do think most are across the channel- still,, plenty of help there too.
  use your internet search engine and you will find a website based in the netherlands , they have a solid ,thriving group, most that speak english and a really sound parts swap base too. many there are into modifying the bike, so that may be your direction. we here at this site will  help you in any way possible , so always ask !
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Coil Coyle

AEB

Welcome to XZ550 riding! 8)

UK members that I remember are Simcha and Simsport. Contact them from the Members menu and they will know more members.

Enjoy your ride,
;)
Coil

simcha

Yes i am still here. Think simsport left the XZs for bigger things. If you need any help or parts let me know. I have just added number 4 XZ to the garage and have loads of spares if needed. Where in the UK are you? I just met up recently with a number of XZ owners via the VJMC shows. Seems to be a large collection of us in Yorkshire!
Anyway welcome to the best bike forum web site, sure if your XZ is like all the others you will be back on here soon!

louthepou

Welcome!!!

You've just found THE place for XZ owners.

Cheers!

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

AEB

Hi everyone
finding the new bike quite good, a good ride home (70 mile) collecting bike. Travelled half way on minor 'A' roads slowly testing it on the bends. Rest of my journey was on the motorway going faster and in a straight line. Few minor niggles, but over all quite happy with it. Previous owner has put a toggle switch on bars to control the fan, not sure why? The engine seems to run sweet but has an exhaust leak (preditor stainless system fitted). Whilst riding bike has delay on acceleration, on throttle it responds slightly after, plenty of power there though. Generally bike in good condition, been touched up here and there, polished and looks like its generally been looked after. Only one thing I am finding difficult is the fork dive on breaking, wicked. Will investigate.

In answer to simcha I am south of Manchester UK, I bought my bike from a shop in Lancaster who received it in part exchange. I have noticed spares very rare, even searching ebay (althought at time of posting there is a complete bike for sale on there)

YellowJacket!

Glad you enjoyed it AEB and Welcome to the enjoyment of being a RIDER of Vision.  There have been a few posts lately about the front end dive.  If yu have an 83 vision with the air adjustable shocks, check the air pressure.  Also check you fork oil level and condition.  If its low, absent (like mine was) or old, its not going to do you any good.

Now that you have the bike, tell us a little about it and share some pictures.

;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

AEB

Have tried to upload pic but the following error comes up:
"The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator"
The pic is 87kb in size.

My bike is an 84 model with 26000 miles recorded. It appears in good over all condition. It is black paintwork with gold pinstripes (not original). Looks good. The exhaust was new stainless last year and is in very good condition (receipts given with various other paperwork when I bought it). One side panel has small crack in along with a couple of wires that are not taped, mainly the ones taken to toggle switch on bars. Motor sounds OK (novice listening) but exhaust has slight blowing. Other than slight delay on accelleration there appears to be no running problems. On riding home my first thoughts were the growl it made as I accellerated from 50mph up to 70. Nice.

If anyone can give advice on uploading pics I will mail some as soon as, cheers.

YellowJacket!

I opened up a photobucket account for free and host my pics from there.  www.photobucket.com  R=That way, they never take up space on Rons server.  If you don't want to mess with a photobucket account, email the pics to me at xz550rj AT gmail dot com and I will post them for you.

David

QBS

With 26k miles on the clock you should be able to hear a definite engine knock at idle.  The knock will disappear above 2500 rpm.  If this isn't the case, someone stole the pleasure of reattaching the starter clutch from you.  Research the bikes history if you can.  If this is the case, rejoice.  Cheers.

AEB

Thanks for the offer DaveTN, I never thought to put them up myself so I have put a few pics up for now and will add some more at a later date. Go to: www.andrewbardsley.co.uk.

I am going to try and contact the previous owner to find out what work has or hasn't been done, I'm just hoping as QBS says I can rejoice.

Cheers:-)

YellowJacket!

Very nice looking bike!  ;D

David

h2olawyer

Agreed - very nice looking.  I really like the way the pinstriping runs 'through' the tank emblem.  It appears to be in much better condition than many have started with.  Welcome to the forum!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.