Love of strange Yamahas a Vision Curse?

Started by wolfman, August 10, 2004, 11:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfman

Why oh why do I keep falling in love with wierd 1 or 2 year only Yamahas? ?Is it a curse from owning a Vision? ?Check the link for the object of my desire... ?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2486141745&category=6718&sspagename=WDVW

h2olawyer

Wolfman -

I know what you mean, and think there's something to your idea of a Vision curse.  I remember wanting one of those GTS's when they came out.  Interesting machine that shows just how forward thinking Yamaha can be at times!

Since my Vision is finished - as far as fixing stuff - and very rideable, I've been considering a new project.  Another wierd Yamaha - the 650 Seca Turbo.  I've heard they are more maintenance heavy than Visions and the turbo didn't live up to expectations but I still think they're pretty cool.  Could be a challenging restoration!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Walt_M.

I want a TDM850 but they might be more rare than the Vision. I'll have to wait a while though as I just blew this year's bike budget on a YZ250F. I just looked on ebay, there is a Seca 650 Turbo and a TDM850, oh well.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lead_Deficiency

I loved my vision should of kept it. I had one of those 650 seca turbo's too, bought it for 3500 when yamaha dumped them, they also installed a tubo boost kit (Yamaha Retro Fit) made it go like an FJ1200, ate bateries though. : :o

Lead_Deficiency

gbranche

QuoteWhy oh why do I keep falling in love with wierd 1 or 2 year only Yamahas? ?Is it a curse from owning a Vision?
Not a curse at all - you just know quality when you see it.

For the record, I've owned my GTS since September of 1996. I found one relatively close at a Suzuki dealership that used to be a Yamaha dealership. They had the GTS left-over from their Yamaha days, and didn't know what to do with it. It had been a demo machine, but had less than 500 miles on it. I've got almost 30K on it now, and it's pretty much my daily rider (when I'm not forced to drive a car for logistical reasons). The only thing I would consider abandoning the GTS for would be an FJR 1300, but Yamaha hasn't been visionary enough to put the RADD front end on it yet.

The GTS is all that it was claimed to be, and then some. The handling is superb at speed, although it can be top-heavy at parking-lot speeds. The braking performance is the best in the business, and still can't be beat today - 60 to 0 in 90 feet. It's comfortable enough for long distance rides (my wife and I rode from San Jose to Denver and back last year), yet sporty enough to satisfy me when I hit the twisties. In the hands of a capable rider, it has no trouble keeping up with today's sport bikes ridden by the crotch-rocket wannabes who haven't yet learned that it's the rider, and not the bike, that makes the difference.

Like any bike, it has its share of common problems. Some exhibit excessive oil consumption if run at 80+ MPH. The ABS pump can seize from non-use, and so must be exercised periodically. The US-spec headlight is somewhat anemic. Most of this is discussed on a GTS-specific mailing list. Info about the list can be found here.

The major problem with the GTS, and the reason that it was only imported into North America for two years, is the ignorance of the North American rider. The bike was actually produced and shipped into Europe through the 1999 model year. Apparently, the Europeans have a better appreciation for sport touring than the myopic American riders, who can't be satisfied unless the bike looks and sounds like a Harley.  :-/

Oh yea, before I forget, there is one other negative aspect of the bike that I've never understood. Yamaha, bowing to the "sport" side of sport-touring, put a drive chain on the bike.  :P I would have preferred a drive shaft, but I'm willing to put up with the mess and hassle of the drive chain just so I can thoroughly enjoy the rest of the bike.

If you'd like any other details, feel free to email me, or ask here (if you think there's enough general interest), keeping in mind that this is the Vision forum, and not the GTS forum. ;)

Greg

Ron_McCoy

After being curious about the GTS since it came out, Greg
graciously let my wife and I ride it at the CROV Rally. What he says is true. The bike has more than enough power and
handles great after very little acclimatization. The braking is
strong and very controllable as even under very hard braking
on bumpy and harsh surfaces, including buckled pavement
due to earthquake actvity, the suspension continues to work freely. Once you get used to this, its kind of a shock to go
back to conventional forks and feel how they bind up under
similiar conditions. If I hadn't given in and used my motorcycle fund for a down payment on a new car for my wife,I would be riding or looking for one now and I still plan
to get one in the future.