Main Menu

82 V.S. 83 vision

Started by mdskinner731, September 10, 2007, 03:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdskinner731

all right much to my suprise i went out and looked at my vision toda yand found out i had an 82 vision.... i looked at the tag on the steering stem a lil hard to read but i managed  :P all along i thought it was the 83 :o whats the difference between those 2 bikes ??? ???
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

Tiger

:) Here is a brief run down....The '83 has:

:) Twin front brake's.
:) Up-rated progressive front shock springs.
:) Air assisted front shocks.
:) A fuel guage on the dash.
:) A fuel sender unit in the gas tank.
:) A different petcock.
:) Up-graded carb's.
:) An up-graded rear shock, adjustable both top and bottom.
:) Lower handle bar riser's.
:) The rider's foot peg's are set further back.
:) A full fairing. (Also came on later '82's).

What did I miss ??? ??? ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Tanno

Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

mdskinner731

i must deffinatley have the fully faired 82 then... mhm all along i thought i had the 83.. im glad i have you guys here to help me along
Redneck Law

Tiger

Quote from: Tanno on September 10, 2007, 03:45:26 PM
Tapered head bearings.

:) Nope...this is an aftermarket upgrade, not by Yamaha.

Quote from: mdskinner731 on September 10, 2007, 03:48:35 PM
I'm glad i have you guys here to help me along

8) We're all here to help each other, where we can Mike 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

h2olawyer

Missed items:

83 has a glossy rear cowl, a different rear motor mount, different air box bottom, longer shifter linkage, shorter brake pedal, the 83 tach printed circuit board is two pieces, the wheels are gold & aluminum.  The aluminum side plates by the footpegs have the grooves painted black on 83s as well.  There was also an internal engine modification but I can't recall at the moment just what it was.

The progressive fork springs may have made it into some 83s, but Lucky, Brian Moffett & I have all rebuilt 83 forks that did not have the progressive springs.  The rear shock on an 83 is adjustable for both preload & rebound damping - the damping adjuster is the one at the top of the shock - a plastic ring numbered 1 ~ 5.  It can be accessed & adjusted through the right side TCI / coolant overflow cover.

These differences apply to the US version 83s - those in Canada may be different - such as the red / white paint scheme.

What does your tag say for month & year of manufacture?  My 82 was made in October of 81.  If yours was made in late 82, it is still most likely an 83 model.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiger on September 10, 2007, 03:41:27 PM
What did I miss ??? ??? ???

don't forget that shiney little metal piece that covers the stator wires coming up between the left side case and the drive shaft cover...

......and the 83 also has the hollow end on the front axle

......and a shorter rear brake arm , not just the foot pedal.....

just little trivial bits we also noticed this weekend..it's all starting to come back now  ::)

having an 82 with the full fairing is not a bad thing.... most of the unobtainium parts are 83
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

mdskinner731

its printed date on the manufacturing tag says 11-81.. and it has the black/silver rims, shorter handle bars, and the full faring like i had said b4.. no adjustments on the shock....
~tiger rememer i said i think my macs exhaust system lookd different than yours... well i was right,, mine appear to mount different in the rear???
Redneck Law

h2olawyer

11-81 is definitely an 82.  Sounds like it either had the fairing added by the dealer or a P.O. got all the right bits - lower h-bar risers in particular - to do it right.  I've got almost all the 83 bits installed on my 82.  Just waiting to get my 83 tank lined, de-dented & painted before I finish the rebuild of the 83 carbs, giving me an 83 fuel system.

One more thing we missed in the US 82 vs 83 differences - the 82 speedo goes all the way up to 85 MPH, while the 83s go to 140!  :o
Also, the rear swingarm is black on 83s as are the fork lowers.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) I knew that I may have over looked something ::) ;D :D :D :D :D... ;)

:) Can you post some picture's Mike... ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)

YellowJacket!

Add me to the list of rebuilding an 83 front end and not having progressives either.  It'll be something I eventually add.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Lucky

i just used PVC spacers, never bottom the front end.  save your $$$'s
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

mdskinner731

ya i will try to add some pics if i can figure it out...
Redneck Law

Night Vision

;D

mdskinner731

Redneck Law

Night Vision

that's a good find... 3300 miles, the custom paint looks nice, you have the low risers, but not the rear set pegs...... you have it running... done laps around the yard...

get that seat covered and it'll look totally different  ;)

plus you have all winter to ship shape your ship  :) keep at it... cure the milkshake and you're almost there...

;D

h2olawyer

Very good place from which to start.  Agreed with the seat cover - when selling older bikes, a $45 Saddleman seat cover can add a hundred or more to the bike's value!  I've put almost as many miles on my V this summer as yours has total - & I don't ride that much.

Time  & patience - you will have a great bike!

H2O

Tiger

8) Nice one Mike... 8) Some elbow grease, T.L.C, time and a wee bit of money and you will have a great Vision to join in with the "Family" ride's. Look forward to seeing her next spring... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

mdskinner731

im not to sure on the milege because the speedo cable is not there and i dont kno when it was taken off... but yes i do need to get that seat covered
;D ;D
Redneck Law

Kevin

83 sidestand has a tang and the gascap is metal.