News:

Main Menu

Any computer Geeks?

Started by ColinthePilot, September 27, 2007, 01:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColinthePilot

So I have a 4 year old Dell desktop with a Dell LCD monitor. A few months ago, I sprang for a new 22in Samsung HD flat screen monitor and went to dual monitors. My media and browser is on the big screen while my older monitor holds instant message, music, etc. My old monitor seems to have gone on the fritz. The power light blinks and the monitor is off. At first, the power cord was loose so i snugged it in and the problem went away for about a day. Now I can disconnect it for a while and it doesn't come back. Is my monitor dead?
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

kwells

now might be a time for a new flat screen monitor eh?  That seems like one of those things that would have to be in front of one to make the assessment if it were dead but if it were mine I'd be looking for a new monitor.  It is possible the cord or the connector could be the issue though.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Aelwulf

Yeah, if not the monitor altogether than it might be reading a false sleep signal.  Either way sounds like the monitor's about done to me.  Going for new ones so far I've liked Viewsonic, seem to be good quality and reliability at a decent price.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

YellowJacket!

If its the dell monitor, I have the same problem with one of mine.  Tap the right side of the monitor several times and it will come back on.  Apparently there is something that comes loose on these POS monitors.  I know several other people that have had similar problems with the same type.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

ColinthePilot

Thanks, Dave! I discovered this trick this morning actually. I got turbo-P.O.ed at the monitor and gave it a whack and it came back on. problem solved...temporarily
Colin
It pissed me off, so I jammed a screwdriver into it, hit it with a hammer, and spun it around with a pair of vice grips. Let that serve as a warning

YellowJacket!

LOL  Great minds think alike.  I found out the same way.  I've been doing it to mine that wayt for about a year and it still works.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

kiawrench

MAG innovision is low priced, good picture-
SCEPTRE makes good monitors, ,a bit steep, but still good, just avoid walmart "special  purchase"signs,  no warranty service on most of that stuff,,, cant even find a remote for the tv they make - dont ask------
i use gold star brand monitors, home and work,, cheap, sleek and lot of little sparkly lights ,fools the most snoopy of my co-workers - lol
i also use gold star  meters, parcel tracking, stock supply tracking and bar code readers--- not expensive, but have you ever bounced a 17 in crt off the second floor steps and it still work? mine does , lol .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Tanno

I have several Samsung flat screens. No  problems.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown