News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Missing carburetor ball

Started by Paul@Sheffield, October 11, 2007, 11:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironb12s

THANK YOU, Lucky, thank you...   8)

Sorry 'bout that PM concerning cables.  Tiger's busy with a gaggle of Visionaries, I'll ping him when the time comes...

Yeppers, I been wrenching for nearly 40 years now.  I tend to overinvestigate things when I work on them, and come off as a know-it-all sometimes, I'm not.  I will dutifully admit, I'm a doer of all, master of none.  Smarter than the average bear, as it were.

Looking at the cross section of the carb, the aforementioned ball is none other than the check valve for the Accel Pump?  Should be rather easy to replace, just get the size from an expert here, mosey on down to your local bicycle shop and let them you're missing a ball...   ;)  a very *small* ball, that is.   ;D
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Paul@Sheffield

ironb12
Is the ball vital? I am reluctant to pull the nozzle out of the carb body when the bike is running otherwise o.k.
It is as you probably know a 'delicate' procedure using mole grips.

inanecathode

The ball keeps fuel from being sucked in like a regular jet. I suspect if the ball is missing its pulling extra fuel through the accelerator pump schnozzle.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Paul@Sheffield

Thanks. I will replace it next time I have the carbs off.
Do you think I will have to adjust the tickover/ idle speed once fitted?

inanecathode

If you've tuned it with the ball missing theres a good chance the accelerator schnoz was leaking, so yeah i'd re-tune it.
Even if it doesnt do anything, at least you'll fell better :D
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

ironb12s

Quote from: Paul@Sheffield on October 16, 2007, 10:29:56 AM
ironb12
Is the ball vital? I am reluctant to pull the nozzle out of the carb body when the bike is running otherwise o.k.
It is as you probably know a 'delicate' procedure using mole grips.

If it is the BALL for the accelerator check valve, yeppers, it's impotent.  (nyuk, nyuk, nyuk)  ;)

http://www.ridersofvision.net/Technical/Carbs/carb3.gif

You could post a pic of the place where it's missing from.  As there is only one pump, the fuel is piped to both nozzles from it.  Would cause a rich running condition if fuel was being drawn thru the open valve in the pump.  However, if you are anywhere else BUT the pump, it's not the BALL we are referring to...the pump is a bolt on accessory to only one of the carbs; the pump well has been dummied off in the second.

Paul@Sheffield

ironb12s,
From your link it is definately the ball below the accelerator pump nozzle.
I checked the spark plugs and looked to be the correct colour (light grey) i.e. not running rich (black sooty.)
However I don't want to be wasting fuel.

ironb12s

Unfortunately, the ROV Techie on the carbs is only for the 1983, but they weren't THAT different from the 1982.  If the ball is missing, then I would look to replace it.  The diag shows that it should be there, so I'd make sure it was, and in the right location related to the weight.  That ball can be found at any bicycle shop, easily.  And, I repeat, that pump is only on one of the carbs...

Unfortunately, my only reference is from a rather foggy memory of taking mine apart back in the 'day'.  That reference model is currently 1800 miles out of reach...  If I had one to look at, I'd be better able to advise.  So's how's 'bouts our local contingent of techies weigh in?  At least you have some closer reference than I do.  Tiger, Lucky, H20?

Rick G

Not to be a smart a**  ,but if the ball wasen't vital they wouldn't have put it in there in the first place. If you take your air box top off and stuff a rag in the carb throats you can reinstall it with a minimum of hassel . I probably have one, if you want it PM me and'll send it to you no charge.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

ironb12s

Quote from: Rick G on October 18, 2007, 01:38:08 AM
Not to be a smart a**  ,but if the ball wasn't vital they wouldn't have put it in there in the first place. If you take your air box top off and stuff a rag in the carb throats you can reinstall it with a minimum of hassel . I probably have one, if you want it PM me and'll send it to you no charge.

Better a smart arse, than a dumb arse.   ;)

Paul@Sheffield

I had better fit one then. I'll try and get one here, if not I'll pm you (Rick G).
Thanks.

ironb12s

Oaky-dokey, has any of'n you Visionaries ever measurated the check ball to see what size BB it is?  I'm just guessing, it's around a 5/32", or a 2mm.

Night Vision

nope, I haven't bothered measuring it because at least three of us with balls have offered to send him one or two
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano