News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

historic tags

Started by auto, October 18, 2007, 12:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auto

I don't post alot,but do check in now and then.We'll my 82 vision is now a antique.As far as New Jersey is conserned.I just got my historic tag.41 dollors one time fee.50 dollors insurance,the bike runs great.life is good.Anyone else go this route?

zore

I think i'm paying 25 a year for registration and 80 bucks a year for insurance in NJ.  Having looked at historic plates in the past, I thought you were limited to how often and how far you could go with historic plates (like to car/bike shows and such).  I ride mine almost everyday so, if I'm correct, those limitations would suck.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

h2olawyer

Each state has its own regulations on what you can do with vintage / antique plates - or if they are even available.  Colorado has no use / mileage restrictions on them that I'm aware of.  You pay 5x the taxes when you get the plate, but only have to register it every 5 years.  They used to be exempt from emissions tests (may still be) & say "Collector Series".  Available for autos & light trucks (under 16,000 gross wt.) but not motorcycles.  Very few vanity or message plates are available for bikes here.  Support Our Troops, Fallen Soldier (Sailor, Marine, Airman) and personalized standard types are about it.

I'd never consider getting one for Silver V.  It still has the same plate it got after I bought the bike new.  Even still wears the original 84 registration tag under the current registration.  Totally different look than the newer plates & still has the old letter - number system where you could tell what county the vehicle was registered in.  The plate on my truck is the same vintage.  In Colorado, the plates transfer from vehicle to vehicle with the owner, they don't go with the vehicle like some other states.  My V is $16 yearly to register & $82 per year to insure.  Pretty cheap transportation.

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Aelwulf

I don't know about historic tags for Florida (I know they have 'em but don't know about the rules or if for bikes as well).  My registration I think is about $15 and roughly $100/year insurance including uninsured motorist shtuff.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

MotorPlow

Quote from: zore on October 18, 2007, 12:22:20 PM
I think i'm paying 25 a year for registration and 80 bucks a year for insurance in NJ.  Having looked at historic plates in the past, I thought you were limited to how often and how far you could go with historic plates (like to car/bike shows and such).  I ride mine almost everyday so, if I'm correct, those limitations would suck.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This is the way it is in Virginia. Even says in the code section that the vehicle can not be used for regular commuting and only ridden so many miles from home unless traveling to a car show/meet.

kiawrench

i cant get a old timers plate for any of my rides, but was sort of thinking to get one for myself, i mean, why not , i set off metal detectors everywhere i go now, a  vintage tag on the back end of my laptop case would just be a riot !!     

i got one for my 68 cougar, but once i really understood the rules of use, i went back down and got a "regular " vanity plate - "6 CAT 8"     have had plate stolen 4 times in three years - never did understand that .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Sable

I was told that I have to wait until my Vision is 26 years old... Which means when I renew the registration in January, I'll be getting my antique plates.

~John
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

auto

Come on 25 years is 25 years.My vision is Historic.The tag is on the bike and I ride that way.Unless it's 12:00 at night,let a cop tell me I shouldn't be on my vision.I've owned this xz since it was new and waited 25 years for this.It might not look antique,but it is!

YellowJacket!

Quote from: auto on October 27, 2007, 11:19:29 PM
Come on 25 years is 25 years.My vision is Historic.The tag is on the bike and I ride that way.Unless it's 12:00 at night,let a cop tell me I shouldn't be on my vision.I've owned this xz since it was new and waited 25 years for this.It might not look antique,but it is!

Exactly.  I have worked at my hospital since December of 1986.  I went to HR last December to collect my 20 year pin, sticker and bonus and was told that I had to come back in Dec 2007 for it as I was not considered a 29 year employee until I worked a FULL 20 years!  GRRRR  (Slightly OT but along the same lines)
So, I guess they want you bike to be a full 25 years old before they call it an antique.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

zore

Quote from: auto on October 27, 2007, 11:19:29 PM

I guess my quesion is why?  I can see it for a car given the cost of registration and insurance but insurance and registration for the xz really doesn't amount to much.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900

glennw

I get hosed for $51.00 a year for my V reg...
By contrast my 06 Suzuki is $81.00.
So I guess in comes down about a dollar a year
here is Kalifornia..
Half Mad Max

zore

I think registration was 28 dollars and insurance was 110 maybe.  Between all 3 bikes I put near 25k miles a year on them.  That's why i'm trying to figure out what I'd save in the long run.
1982 Yamaha XZ550
1995 Ducati M900