Main Menu

Petcock ?

Started by russellsea, October 24, 2007, 01:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russellsea

WELL I REBUILT MY 82 PETCOCK JUST SO IT WOULD LEAK AGAIN.  I THINK ITS LEAKING FROM THE SQUARE RUBBER GASKETS.

WERE  DOSE  THAT LITTLE HOLE ON THE PLACTIC SQUARE THAT GOSE BETWEEN THE TWO RUBBER GASKET POINT (UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT)

AND IS IT SAFE TO USE REAL GASKET MATERIAL ON EACH SIDE OF THE PLASTIC SQARE TO TRY AND STOP THE LEAK?

THANKS

ironb12s

Do a search for Petcock Rebuild, pay particular attention to entries with Tiger's or Lucky's id on them.  There's bound to be a show and tell version here somewhere...  And if not, there should be.   :)
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Tiger

Quote from: russellsea on October 24, 2007, 01:23:09 PM
WELL I REBUILT MY 82 PETCOCK JUST SO IT WOULD LEAK AGAIN...

???...Did you acquire a rebuild kit ???...or...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

ironb12s

Tiger, if you know where the Petcock Rebuild How-To is on this forum, just send him over there...  There are hundreds of threads concerning petcocks, so it's gotta be a sticky or sumthin...

russellsea

Quote from: Tiger on October 24, 2007, 06:09:08 PM
WELL I REBUILT MY 82 PETCOCK JUST SO IT WOULD LEAK AGAIN...

???...Did you acquire a rebuild kit ???...or...

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Yes, the ones off of ebay

Night Vision

WERE  DOSE  THAT LITTLE HOLE ON THE PLACTIC SQUARE THAT GOSE BETWEEN THE TWO RUBBER GASKET POINT (UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT)

facing the petcock, that little notch would be opposite the word "prime"
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

:) Ironb, I'm not aware of any "Petcock Rebuild How Too's", as such, on here...However, the '82 petcock is pretty straight forward.
There are FOUR main component's in a rebuild kit:
1 - Diaphram...Remove the four screw's from the back of the petcock...NOTE: There should be a spring under the cover that you are removing!!!...if the cover sticks, do not lever it off with a screw driver, etc...just give it a tap with the handle of the philip's driver that you have in your hand ;) Lift off the cover and set down on work bench, if there is a spring set it down to the right of the cover, lift out the diaphram and remove it from the "plastic" block spacer and install new one...and set down on the bench to the right of the spring.

2 - Small "O" ring...Remove the two screw's from the chrome retaining ring, on the front of the petcock, (reserve, prime, on...), set down on the bench. Remove the wave washer and put next to the selector lever. Pull out the gas selector lever...remove the "O" ring that is in a groove on the outer edge, install new "O" ring, set down on the bench to the right of the wave washer.

3 - Selector Gasket...When you removed the gas selector lever, this component should be sitting right there, in the petcock, generally in a state of degredation ::) (Rubber ring with four round cutout's) Remove and set down on the bench, next to the gas setting lever.

4 - Large "O" ring...Remove the old one from the mating face that goes to the gas tank...

Now, before rebuilding, completely clean ALL the petcock/part's, inside and out... ;) You can "dip" it, use a dremel type tool...very carefully, etc.

Rebuilding is a complete reverse of the strip down, aided by the layout that you have in front of you, on your work bench. NOTE: Make sure that when installing the diaphram, that little notch, on the spacer block, would be opposite the word "prime", facing the petcock. (Thanks N_V). Also, make sure that the gas tank mating surface is clean and free of any rust before installing the petcock.

GENERAL NOTE: Tighten all fastener's, (screw's, etc),...but DO NOT over tighten... ::) 

I hope this is of help to anyone thinking of doing a rebuild ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

ironb12s

Quote from: Tiger on October 25, 2007, 07:23:43 AM
:) Ironb, I'm not aware of any "Petcock Rebuild How Too's", as such, on here...However, the '82 petcock is pretty straight forward.

Well, don't you think there might be a need for one?  You're off to a VERY good start with this.

There are FOUR main component's in a rebuild kit:

[Hmmmm, A Pic of the rebuild kit to start?]

1 - Diaphram...Remove the four screw's from the back of the petcock...NOTE: There should be a spring under the cover that you are removing!!!...if the cover sticks, do not lever it off with a screw driver, etc...just give it a tap with the handle of the philip's driver that you have in your hand ;) Lift off the cover and set down on work bench, if there is a spring set it down to the right of the cover, lift out the diaphram and remove it from the "plastic" block spacer and install new one...and set down on the bench to the right of the spring.

[INSERT FIRST PIC HERE]

2 - Small "O" ring...Remove the two screw's from the chrome retaining ring, on the front of the petcock, (reserve, prime, on...), set down on the bench. Pull out the gas setting lever...remove the "O" ring that is in a groove on the outer edge, install new "O" ring, set down on the bench to the right of the chrome retaining ring.

[INSERT #2 PIC HERE]

3 - A rubbery ring thingy with four holes...name escapes me ::) When you removed the gas setting lever, this component should be sitting right there, in the petcock, generally in a state of degredation ::)
Remove and set down on the bench, next to the gas setting lever.

QuoteThe "thingy" is the selector valve plate, for lack of a better term.  Yamaha Parts calls it "VALVE"

[Oh yeah, INSERT PIC #3 HERE]

4 - Large "O" ring...Remove the old one from the mating face that goes to the gas tank...

[INSERT LAST PIC HERE]

Now, before rebuilding, completely clean ALL the petcock/part's, inside and out... ;) You can "dip" it, use a dremel type tool...very carefully, etc.

Rebuilding is a complete reverse of the strip down, aided by the layout that you have in front of you, on your work bench. NOTE: Make sure that when installing the diaphram, that little notch, on the spacer block, would be opposite the word "prime", facing the petcock. (Thanks N_V). Also, make sure that the gas tank mating surface is clean and free of any rust before installing the petcock.

GENERAL NOTE: Tighten all fastener's, (screw's, etc),...but DO NOT over tighten... ::) 

I hope this is of help to you russellsea...and anyone else thinking of doing a rebuild ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
[AND MAYBE PIC OF SHINY REBUILT PETCOCK HERE]

See, you have a new Technical in the works...   ;)  I may borrow this bit of oratory and put pics in to dress it up...once I've seen MY Vision again.

Tiger

Quote from: ironb12s on October 25, 2007, 04:28:04 PM
I may borrow this bit of oratory and put pics in to dress it up...

:) Be my guest, happy to be of service... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Lucky

the 82 is pretty straight forward to rebuild, i guess we've never seen the need of a 'how to'

the 83 on the other hand, is a whole different ball of wax:

as far as i'm aware, i'm the only one with the one-off tools to make the special double diaphram, & the results are not as 'factory' as i'd prefer.  i've made at least a half a dozen for members, but never heard back from any of them on how they are holding up..

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

The round rubbery thingy  is the"4 hole donut"
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiffanator

Too late to really help you now.... but one thing I found VERY useful in my projects was to take an excessive amount of pictures during the disassembly. For each part I took off... I took a pic of where it went and how it was positioned. I even took pics of the screws/bolts that came out. That way I would know how it went back on. For the carbs I had the exploded view of the carbs and labeled each part as well. I also used Tiger's method of putting everything in a line according to order of assembly.
I do have photos of my petcock as it was being disassembled if you need to verify something.
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Tiger

Quote from: Tiffanator on October 26, 2007, 07:34:53 AM
...I do have photos of my petcock as it was being disassembled if you need to verify something.
Tiff. 

Tiff, maybe you could incorporate them on/in this discussion thread... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Lucky

here are the 83 pics. as you can see, there is a lot packed in a small space...
--Lucky

Tiger

Quote from: Rick G on October 26, 2007, 12:11:38 AM
The round rubbery thingy  is the"4 hole donut"

:D :D :D :D :D :D...or commonly known as the selector gasket ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Rick G

I've never heard it called that , must be a translation from Japanese.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kiawrench

i always called it 4 hole thingie too,,, except when in the company of those who prefer more polite conversation, then i just called it - the " next part on the table" 

i cant even call the whole thing by it's name around some people, they start thinking in strange directions and making comments
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

h2olawyer

Does it have a leash?   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Tiger

;) Kia, just tell people that its called a petcock...because it sticks out of the tank ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)