News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Silver Cafe V

Started by Lucky, October 24, 2007, 05:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky

finished changing the oil again (i say finished because i left the drain plug out when refilling it last time & wasted 2 new qts of oil!!  :'( )

ran it a few minuets & i THINK there is no more water in the oil..  i'll watch it closely & let you know.  if the oil stays clear, i'll drain it once more & refill with something good.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Lucky

I made new baffles to replace the missing baffles in the stock exhaust today, & the oil seems to be holding up..

details of the exhaust repair are on my blog:
http://xz550.spaces.live.com/

--Lucky

YellowJacket!

nice job!  Looks good Lucky.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

Thats interesting , one of my sets of MACs has 1 baffle stuck in place and befor the other rusts up I had thought of  converting it to a defuser type baffle , so I wont have to wrestle the cores out to repack them.
Thats another  defered project! ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Rick G on November 11, 2007, 06:28:38 PM
Thats interesting , one of my sets of MACs has 1 baffle stuck in place and befor the other rusts up I had thought of  converting it to a defuser type baffle , so I wont have to wrestle the cores out to repack them.
Thats another  defered project! ;D

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I'm still trying to figure how to get it out so I can add some packing.  I really think there is none at all and it's flowing too freely as I lose my top end power.  I may spray a little phosphoric acid on it and see what happens.

David

Rick G

Dave , on my first set I used a pair of  large channel locks to grip the bar and pulled and twisted  them out . I got them from Ron Ghetti,  so they were well cared for and not very old. (I think he has sensitive ears,lol) :D .  The second set were off of eBay and prolly came from a junk yard . I finally borrowed a slide hammer and after hoseing them with WD40, managed to get one out . My third set came from a former forum member in MN., DT,  who sold his V in favour of a Ducati. Having  no further use for them, sold them to me for shipping, as he had used the  front cylinder head pipe on a custom  exhaust he built .  I had destroyed my first set  in  a crash , and all that was left was the front head pipe!  A marrage made in heaven!! The third set  come out fairly easily , I suggest any one who has MACs to pull them every three months , and mayby leave them out all winter , as part of seasonal moth balling.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

YellowJacket!

Thanks Rick.  I had asked this a few months back and got many suggestions for getting them out but lost track of the post.

Hey Lucky, You have a slide hammer????

David

Lucky

i don't think so, but i'll double check...

Lucky

I just ran out to start it before work & the oil is definatly better, i think it'll be fine now. 

It has developed a new problem though, it won't start if the signal fuse is in, but once running, if i put the fuse in it continues to run fine.  it has the stock fuse box, & i haven't really touched the electricals much, so i'll have to look into that one...

--Lucky

Lucky

can someone take a micrometer & tell me how deep the threads are for the horn cover bolts please?
mine are very shallow & i think i may need to clean/tap them out.  i'm off work tomorrow & want to grab the bolts & washers today while i'm at work.

Thanks, --Lucky

Aelwulf

Speaking of those, I posted a fair bit ago asking what was used to hold that on.  You have the size info for 'em?  Just bolts and washers I'm guessing to go under the plastic plug covers?

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

h2olawyer

Lucky -

The holes for the horn cover bolts go through to the tubes.  I just took a depth gauge to the ones on parts bike & came up with a bit over 1/2 inch.  Don't know how far the threads go in - I couldn't get to a good angle to see into the holes.

If you need a better measurement of the depth, I can go back out, measure again & write it down this time.

Tractor had plugged holes, too.  I took a tiny drill bit & got a hole in the gunk so I could use a length of copper house wiring to finish getting most of it out.  Then some WD-40 to clean the crap out of the threads, followed by a good blast of compressed air.  Then chased the threads with a tap.  Worked slick & took all of 30 minutes max for both sides.

Alewulf - there's a special shouldered bolt & washer you can order from Yamaha (at least they still had them last May).  2 bolts & 2 washers ran just under $10.  I'm sure you can make something from hardware available at ACE or other good hardware stores.  Maybe Lucky will post with his solution.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

OK, SO I SHOULD BE GOOD WITH 1/2 - 3/4 " DEPTH (WHATEVER THAT IS IN mETRIC)  I DON'T HAVE COPVERS, BUT STAINLESS WILL LOOK FINE

SORRY ABT THE CAPS, I'M AT WORK, IT'S THE DEFAULT ON OUR PC'S & I DIDN'T LOOK UP TILL AFTER I TYPED THIS

--lUCKY

Aelwulf

Off the cuff I'd guess 16mm, give or take 2mm?

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

h2olawyer

A half inch gets you into contact with the fork tubes.  The Yamaha bolts use about 1/4 - 3/8 inch of the threads.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiger

:) If you are using hex head bolt's, you will need... 2 x M6x12mm and 2 x M6 flat washer's, to button the horn cover back on... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

Dave , one thing I neglected to mention,  was that the slide hammer in question had a hook bent on the end , and I drilled a 1/4 inch hole at the end of the baffle to insert it into.   :)
Rick G

Lucky

Dave, sorry, no slide hammer...  > :(

worked on Cafe V today, a little fix up & a bit of spit & polish:

opinions please on the last part...
http://xz550.spaces.live.com/default.aspx

--Lucky

kwells

looks good lucky...should do the trick...I'd prob leave the coolant tubes...but hey...that's ur choice...either way...would keep the yearly polishing to a min
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Lucky

yeah the tubes & exhaust look pretty good after cleaning up, but i do eventually want to dump that 25lbsih of exhaust for Macs...