News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Kreem

Started by mastergunny, October 27, 2007, 01:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastergunny

Ok, for the guy just getting into Visions what are we talking about?

YellowJacket!

Kreem is a polymer tank liner that is similar to but not nearly as good as POR 15 or Caswell which are (I think) epoxy type liners.
Many of us try to avoid kreem or remove it becuase it has a tendency to break down over time and flake off, especially ifyou use fuel additives.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

ironb12s

At the risk of annoying y'all, or coming off as a know-it-all, when I learned of the problems with the tank of the Vision, at the behest of the friend that told of such woes, I went right out and got the only thing that I knew to be available:  Kreem.

Now, if you do a simple Google on "tank liner", there's 10 pages of links to various liners, and the most popular isn't Kreem, nor is it POR-15 or Caswell, but KBS.  Had these been available back in the day, I might've chosen something other than Kreem.  The web then wasn't as it is today, which has a lot to do with how things are done now.  I would urge any and all who are thinking about or in the middle of relining your tank(s) to do the Google and research it a bit more.  Bill Hirsch's sealer is a favorite with car restorers, RedKote is mentioned, so are the favorites (many times), and many others are out there too.  One of many that speaks especially to the additives in fuel:  www.enginads.com/pedersen/sealer.htm

The popular ones known here are all competitively priced, I dunno what the others run.

Just wanted to let you know that there are other choices when lining your tank(s).     8)
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Paul@Sheffield

I used JB weld to plug the holes and a tank cure kit from LB Restorations;
www.lb-restoration.co.uk/

It has only been in six months- no problems so far.

After doing this the bloke that welded the rear swing arm said that I should have done
the same with the tank i.e. welding.

kwells

The tank liner that you choose probably doesnt matter with the exception of perhaps Kreem as it has been found to come off later.  The important thing is that you line it with something.  If you have yet to line your tank, an in-line filter is a must.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

ironb12s

Quote from: kwells on October 27, 2007, 04:11:13 PM
The tank liner that you choose probably doesnt matter with the exception of perhaps Kreem as it has been found to come off later.  The important thing is that you line it with something.  If you have yet to line your tank, an in-line filter is a must.

Wouldn't you agree that having an inline filter is prudent whether your tank is lined or not?   :)

YellowJacket!

IronB mentioned in another post that preparation is the key and is probably why the kreeme in his tank has held up so well.  I agree and it goes for any type of liner.  Preparation is the key and if its not done right, you will have problems down the road. (literally and figuratively)  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

QBS

Lest we all forget:  If your tank isn't leaking and it hasn't been lined, the very best thing you can do for yourself Right Now is to add a 79 cent bottle of gasoline dewaterer product to the tank.  Do it again once a month, every month thereafter.  If your tank is caught before it rusts through, this preventative maintenance will very likely preserve it from ever rusting through.

Having said this, I'd still line my tank, even if it wasn't leaking.  In fact, I did.  I POR treated it ten years ago.

ironb12s

Quote from: QBS on October 27, 2007, 04:45:37 PM
Lest we all forget:  If your tank isn't leaking and it hasn't been lined, the very best thing you can do for yourself Right Now is to add a 79 cent bottle of gasoline dewaterer product to the tank.  Do it again once a month, every month thereafter.  If your tank is caught before it rusts through, this preventative maintenance will very likely preserve it from ever rusting through.

Having said this, I'd still line my tank, even if it wasn't leaking.  In fact, I did.  I POR treated it ten years ago.

Funny, as it has been raining for the past 3 days out here on the right coast, I dumped Heet into the tank today, when I filled up.  Not so much to keep the Bandit's tank from rusting, it came lined from the factory, but I have had water get into the tank without the filler being open.   ::)

I, too, got to the Vision's tank, the GS750's tank, and the XS850's tank, before they showed signs of leaking.   ;)

Tiffanator

Kreem is BAD mmmkay? Just refer to my post "Tank Warefare" and you will see what I have gone through to remove a flaking Kreem liner from a rusted tank.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Walt_M.

What is truly bad about Kreem is that it is so readily available! I was at a local Yamaha shop in Orlando last Friday and they had Kreem on the shelf.
Whale oil beef hooked!

h2olawyer

Kreem is everywhere.  Most catalogs & internet stores carry it as well.  The dealers don't care because they won't work on older bikes anyway.  They just want to sell parts & accessories to owners of older bikes.  Dealerships really don't care about owners of older bikes unless they are coming in to buy a new one.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

ironb12s

Yeah, I think it takes a good long time for the problems to develop with it.  A lot of folks aren't like us here, they'll turn the bikes over every few years...   ::)

I just watching a successful bid by GSR to win a truckload of GS850G parts...for less then $60.   ;)

mastergunny

Ok, to better understand, did the Vision tank come lined from the factory when they were first made or is all this lining stuff a practice for older leaking tanks.

I never knew that anybody even added stuff to line the inside of their tanks.

When I get my two visions in a week or so, how do I check to see if it has a liner and what that liner might be? I am reading a lot about people wanting to get the Kreeme out so are they planning to re-line with something else. If a tanks is sound (welds and thickness) why put junk in the tank in the first place?

Lucky

No Vison tanks came with any lining.  at the time Kreem was probably De Rigur, but with modern epoxies, there is just no point. i'm surprised anyone even buys it anymore, except that's what was 'always used'... so people are familar with the brand.

if you look in your tank & see a white/tan/yellowish vinyl like coating. if so & you can scratch it with a screwdriver, it's probably Kreem.  you may have to look closely if the tank is badly rusted like my project is.  I didn't even notice 'till Dave pointed it out to me the other day.. most of the area under the fill hole had no Kream on it, just flaky rust.  what Kreem you could see was covered in rust dust.

it seems the rust had coated the cream instead of the other way around, lol

right now it's soaking with a couple gallons of acitone in it

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

Quote from: mastergunny on October 28, 2007, 07:47:08 PM
If a tanks is sound (welds and thickness) why put junk in the tank in the first place?

I'm with you on this one...I don't line my tank's. I DO use gas additives, Berryman's, to keep everything running clean.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Lucky

That's fine unless your lazy like me & forget to treat the tank regularly..  :)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

ironb12s

Quote from: h2olawyer on October 28, 2007, 02:22:01 PM
Kreem is everywhere.  Most catalogs & internet stores carry it as well.  The dealers don't care because they won't work on older bikes anyway.  They just want to sell parts & accessories to owners of older bikes.  Dealerships really don't care about owners of older bikes unless they are coming in to buy a new one.

H2O

Yeah, it's still quite popular with the unenlightened.  It is the first one that people see when they are really worried.  How often do any of us research a product when it's to fix an immediate and alarming problem?  You grab the first thing that makes claims to fix the problem.  Hindsight, remember?   ???

Not to worry, my Vision will be undergoing the same procedure, Lucky, that your's and other on this forum are currently in the process of.  At least I started with tanks that weren't rusted to begin with, should make the task easier.  Butt, we'll see...   :-\   Of course, I run filters on everything that runs of mine, even the generators - which have plastic tanks.   :)
So, the GS750 and the XS850 will remain as they are...as they say, if it ain't broke...   ;)  at least, as far as the tanks are concerned.    LOL

h2olawyer

I nearly used the ubiquitous Kreem.  Sure glad I asked around for what to use.  The first two auto restorers I talked to told me to avoid it.  They had stuff that was only available to pro shops & couldn't give me any line on where to get something better.  This was the mid - late 90s.  The local parts store (now closed  :'( ) had something new - it was exactly like POR-15, right down to the silver color.  Wish I could remember the brand - wouldn't know it even if I saw it again.  They highly recommended it, even though they had several Kreem kits on the shelf.  Even they told me to stay away fro Kreem.  Got a couple drops on the exterior near the fill hole.  Well waxed paint.  Those two tiny drops are still there & stuck solid.  No prep & over waxed paint - still holding strong after 10+ years.

I have an 83 tank I'll be lining this winter.  It is not rusted through - or even thin at any of the corners.  I just don't want it to ever rot, so I'll be doing one of the liners.  May try Caswell this time.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

Quote from: h2olawyer on October 29, 2007, 12:41:40 AM

I have an 83 tank I'll be lining this winter.  It is not rusted through - or even thin at any of the corners.  I just don't want it to ever rot, so I'll be doing one of the liners.  May try Caswell this time.

H2O

speaking of lining '83 tanks.... do you pull the fuel sender unit out?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano