News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Need a bit of carb help

Started by inanecathode, October 28, 2007, 03:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

My bug doesnt seem to be running the best it can. Upon jamming the gas to accelerate it hesitates pretty good, backfires a bit, then kinda sorta works its way through it. After i'm already moving and when i'm accelerating pretty hard it seems to run perfectly.
I think maybe its the accelerator pump dumping too much fuel it, the PO said he adjusted it all the way forward to compensate for a bad (was pretty crispy) accelerator pump diapragm.
Any help would be appreciated.
If it helps, pretend i'm talking about a vision carb <_<
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Tanno

Replace the diaphram and re-adjust. Too rich of a mixture does usually cause backfiring. If you think it is, then back it off.
Hesitation on take-off could be not enough fuel.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

supervision

Hi Ben, long time no see!  Another thing on older cars that causes hesatation, is the timing not advancing fast enough.  The Distributor may have a centrifagal advance as well as a vaccum advance.  pop the cap and see if the rotation of the rotor feels spring loaded,  then pull some suction on apiece of hose to see if the vaccum advance is not leaking.  Make sure your base timing is not too slow to start with.

" border="0

Tiger

:) Pull the spark plug's...What's there colour... ???

White, to lean.       Light Tan, just right.       Black, to rich...

Get someone to sit in the drivers seat, with you at the engine. Get them to work the gas pedal and choke lever, (not at the same time!!!), and make sure they are working properly...As in, not binding, no excess slack, etc...Adjust as required.

If you want to save yourself some grief BEFORE the winter sets in, follow these instruction's...

Install a New set of points, a new condensor, new rotor arm, new cap, new spark plug wire's/caps/plug's...NOW...regardless of there condition and what the previous owner may have told you... ;)

Also, the heating during winter is poor, to say the least... ::) The heater flaps sieze up...The only way to free them is tho sit your ass on the floor, at the engine, spray the heater flap hinge pin with a good penetrating oil and with a set of vice grips attached to the bottom edge of the flap, (it has an edge to grip onto), keep working back and forth, spray pen' fluid, and keep working back and forth. Repeat as needed to free them...PITA job done by the first year apprentice ::) Don't ask ::)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

supervision

Hey ben becarful not to buy JUNK points, some replacement stuf nowdays is very low quality.  I always pull the distributer out of the engine to work on it.  Just put a mark on somthing so you get it back in the same location. As you lift it out it may twist abit as it comes of the gear below, slip it right back in, and line up the mark.
" border="0

Tanno

If pulling the dist... mark the case position AND the rotor position.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Walt_M.

Sometime ago I had heard the only people who drive VW beetles are serial killers and FBI agents.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Tanno

I thought that was only a thought. ::)

kwells

and I dont think he works for the gov!!!
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

inanecathode

Muahahahaha!
I think its the accelerator pump, its adjusted all the way forward. I'll get on it when i get some time/weather this week.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.