Previous topic - Next topic

JETS CLOGGED?

CARBS
2 (50%)
JETS
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 3

abogado68

My bike has been sittibg for the past 20 or plus years. It has 1600 original miles. All I have changed on the bike were tires because the originales, all though new, were cracked. The tank is superb, no rust. The brakes feel a bit funny but they are going to get bleeded and maybe a steel braided line installed. But the bike idles and jerkes at low RPM. At high RPM it works fine. I'm incline to think the carbs or jets might be clogged because it sat for such a long time. Maybe a good liquid carb cleaner in the tank and a long straight 300 mi run would do the trick. What do you ROVERS think? Any suggestions?

ironb12s

If it's been sitting, it prolly need more than just rebuild/cleaning of carbs, go to the TECHNICAL link in the Header, find the FAQ link and go from there.  Fluids will need changed, bolts will need replaced...   :)
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

QBS

Put a fuel filter on it and run very high concentrations of Berrymans' ChemTool #12 through it.  By high I mean 1 can of Berrymans to 2 gals. of gas to start with, and 1 can per full tank for 4 tanks.  If that doesn't render a vast improvement, then its probably Berrymans dip time.

kwells

your idle circuit is clogged...gonna have to dip to get that out....your YICS box most likely is a vacuum leak at this point as well....
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

abogado68

Thank's guys, I will follow up on your suggestions. I have to fix it for the long trip I'm expexcting to take on the V.

h2olawyer

Great suggestions - nothing to add except you ought to do the stainless brake lines.  One of the best upgrades you can make to the Vision.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

that and spinners to add that certain Bling that the V lacks...

www.wellsmoto.com

abogado68

Well counsel the braided brake line is being installed and.....some bling also. Maybe daimonds, a disco ball, vlevet or a velour seat... :D :D

h2olawyer

OOOOOH!  A diamond studded seat & matching handgrips?  Can't figure out how to hang a disco ball, though.  Is it on top of a stalk on the fuel tank?   ;D  How about one of those chrome lady figures truckers put on their mudflaps - it would look great on the rear fender!   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

abogado68

There you go counsel now you're talking :D Maybe an East LA lowrider Vision  ;D

gph

On the subject of putting a Vision back on the road after sitting-in this case 17 years-is there a consensus on the oil and crank case? Need to change of course and perhaps really frequent changes but beyond that is the a way to "clean" the entire internals? Additives? I had heard of a small amount of automatic transmission fluid added to the oil or running vast quantities of diesel fuel throught to flush the crankcases. And what of the cylinder walls? I have put oil in on principle but the thought of any rust being scraped off has my nerves on edge. This particular '82 was rescued from the original owner far in the back of a garage. The last tag on the plate was '89. I am up to three....the sickness progresses.... it is getting harder to hide them in the garage.

ironb12s

A little MMO in the cylinders, the rings will take care of any rust on the walls.  Diesel in the crank will clean the gunk out and take any residual water with it.  The procedure is usually to take a 50/50 of oil and diesel/ATF, run the bike for about 15 minutes, then drain and refill with new oil and filter.  Even clean up a wet clutch with it.   ;)

Of course, your neighborhood will be bug-free for months to come after you do this...   :D

SeaFoam is also suggested.  A little MMO in the tank will clean the intake as you ride.

mastergunny

I have used sea foam with great success. Is Berryman's the same type stuff.

kwells

Berryman's ChemDip will take the varnish off the interior of your carbs.  SeaFoam will do great as a water remover for your fuel system but is more of a preventative maintenance chemical.  Most likely u will be dumping the tank and rinsing out so water in there will not be an issue. 

www.wellsmoto.com

ironb12s

I meant that the SeaFoam was used in the oil, in place of ATF or Diesel.   :)

abogado68

The bad low RPM idle has been taken care of in about 99%. Air was pumped thru the carbs and it did the trick. The front brake was bled but that didn't work, so a steel braided brake line will be installed.

Lucky

Quote from: gph on October 31, 2007, 01:04:05 PM
On the subject of putting a Vision back on the road after sitting-in this case 17 years-is there a consensus on the oil and crank case? Need to change of course and perhaps really frequent changes but beyond that is the a way to "clean" the entire internals? Additives? I had heard of a small amount of automatic transmission fluid added to the oil or running vast quantities of diesel fuel throught to flush the crankcases. And what of the cylinder walls? I have put oil in on principle but the thought of any rust being scraped off has my nerves on edge. This particular '82 was rescued from the original owner far in the back of a garage. The last tag on the plate was '89. I am up to three....the sickness progresses.... it is getting harder to hide them in the garage.

the fluid used in auto shops part cleaning machines is mineral spirits.  to clean an old dirty crankcase, drain & refil with some cheap oil, replace the filter. add 3/4 cup of mineral spirits to your fresh oil. run the engine till warmed up, no need to rev it, probably better not to.

drain & refill with fresh quality oil.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black