News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Yikes the YICS and flapper door

Started by Lou, July 27, 2004, 07:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

I was just going to ask if yamabond would work, I am getting ready to do the YICS myself, and have a tube of yamabond already (left over from the stator fun!!) But what is this hammer method you speak of......sounds destuctive... I like it already!!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

basicly you place the YICS on a towel on concrete, and spack it on the corners & sides. be carefull not to crush the mounting hole on the corner.  it should start to seperate on the seams.  Jason says it'll pop open, but the 2 i've tried it with took a little prying with a small flat screwdriver. it should take a little more force that feels comfortable to get it open
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Glyn Pickering

Hi All,

My copy YICS box is all made and installed so will report on it's performance if I get the bike out between rain showers this weekend. I'm sure it's needed as a Yamaha fix for the carb issues and I don't intend to run the bike without one.
Heard alot about synching the carbs without the box connected. This seems strange to me since in reality the box will be connected when the bike is running? I've still got to do the synch job - is there any possibility - even remote that the ATF used in the manometer could get sucked into the motor?

Cheers

Glyn :)

Lucky

the YICS was never a fix, it was allways original equipment.
Caping the YICS just gives you more accurate settings.
We all want to see pics of your YICS (send one to me if you have no place to post it)
Sure, the ATF can get sucked into the engine, but all that will happen is your exhaust will smoke for a little while.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

I used yamabond to seal the YICS, and clamped it overnight, tested it 24 hours later, and it seemed great,  put it on the bike and started riding.  2 days later, I wanted to check the Yics, and it sprung a little leak in one chamber, and the other chamber was blown completely out,  I might try an epoxy next time.....
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Glyn Pickering

I wonder how many other fixed YIKES are leaking? Why not make up a stronger version from metal? I'm trying out my lash up this w/end made out of electrical connector boxes from local supplier. Should eliminate one of the weak links in the chain. Proof of the pudding is their long term reliability however.

Cheers

Glyn