Best Battery?

Started by Brian Moffet, November 09, 2007, 03:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

I'm thinking of the Odyssey 625, other ideas?

Brian

Aelwulf

I've got a Yuasa that's done pretty well.  It was even able to be resuscitated fully after sitting without a battery tender for almost two years (after I bought it new, yeah clueless).

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

mdskinner731

honestly yall will prolly laugh but.. i bought a wal-mart cheepie and it still is good after sitting and its cranked and cranked on my bike
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

Tiger

:) U.S. WalMart...$32.78, $5.00 battery core charge, refundable at the customer service desk if you take in your old battery...Total only = $27.78 8)

:)...Battery tender...$18.44

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

I'm having really bad luck with the ones form Advanced Autoparts.  I have had to buy one a year for the last three years and I use a battery tender.
All fluid levels in it are normal but lately ith as been lacking the jusice to start YJ up after sitting for a day or so off the tender.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

VisionMeister

Look at Mikesxs.com for the AGM (absorbed glass mat)battery. $59.00
Supervision has been running one for over four years without a problem.

h2olawyer

With all my stator issues, my Interstate sealed, maintenance free battery has been going strong for 4 riding seasons & about 9,000 miles.  I use a battery tender jr. all the time.  Part of my post ride parking ritual.  About $70 - so the AGM battery like supervision runs is a better deal.  That is what I'll likely go with for my next battery purchase.  Tried batteries from Wal-Mart, Batteries Plus & Checker.  Got 1 - 2 years out of those, but didn't have a battery tender then.  Tractor is running a Batteries Plus, but it is only one season & few miles old.  Also on its own battery tender.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Night Vision

I have all kinds... NAPA, Wally, Interstate, parts plus.... no problems with any of them..... but if I were to buy another, I was thinking about an AGM and that's a good price
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

Tigers' above post is my strong recommendation.  Buy a cheap Walmart battery.  Start it off in life with a good charge.  Have your BT Jr. on it at all times that the bike is parked at home.  Top it off with distilled water every three months.  Declare Victory.

If maintained in this manner, a Walmart cheapie should last for at least three to four years, but will probably go more like four to seven years.

Never, ever, under estimate the value of a BT Jr.

supervision

Slight correction, I just pulled the paper work out on my battery. I bought it 10/4/02, that means it is 61 months old. At the time it cost $80.00 with tax.  The other day while shopping for some pipes for another bike, I came across the deal that mikesxs.com offers on the same size battery for $ 59.00 INCLUDING shipping. Also I've heard that a wet battery needs tending, because they lose charge while sitting, but the agm doesn't lose charge. I rarely charge it at all.  No water to check, no vent tube, don't think I'll do anymore wet cells if possible.  Plus they are slightly better cranking power
" border="0

Rick G

I had a cheap one from Tucker Rocky,  it lasted a year and a half . I ride the bike at least once a week and usually 4 times a week, so no tender. I replace it with a Deka sealed battery , ( they supply batteries for new frieght liner trucks) its about 9 months old  and is a joy to use , the thing starts instantly even as weather gets colder.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

mdskinner731

the only maintenance iv done to the wal-mart battery on my gs550 is every couple months i gotta take it out and refill it w/ battery fluid and recharge it on boost for a lil bit
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

XZv2

Hi, Brian,
I am really enthusiastic about Odyssey batteries.
Three years ago someone on a motorcycle fair told me about the technique, durability of these "deep cycle" drycell batteries.
As I was walking around with the sizes of the standard Yuasa XZ battery in my pocket, looking for a new battery, I saw that their mini-size, the PC310 would fit.
I bought a 310 at a reduced price. I used this for half a year. It fills slightly more than half of the battery compartment. It has just about the same capacity as the standard Yuasa.
Then I discovered that it would also fit the small XZ luggage compartment in the rear after some modification of the tool box. So I bought a second 310. Used a spare XZ starter motor cable to connect + to + and connected both - to ground, so the total is 12V. Really superior starting performance, like my XZ with sidecar that has a 35 amp car battery in the sidecar boot.
However two PC310's are an expensive solution.

You do not have to charge these batteries. I was three months abroad. When I returned the XZ started right up without charging the battery.

After studying all Odyssey information, I saw that the PC545 model fits the standard XZ battery compartment, if you fit it on its side (all positions are allowed except upside down). I had to fit a thinner base rubber. This 545 has about the power of the 2 310's. I bought this for the XZ of my son-in-law. It performs very good. Gives real cranking power in the cold.

I was looking for a more powerful battery, because of the powerful battery in my XZ with sidecar. It results in such effortless starting. I really wanted that also for our non-sidecar XZ's.
I don't like the feeling "wil it start or not". I had that too often with the standard batteries, even new ones.

The Odyssey PC625 does not fit the XZ battery compartment, if my measurements are correct. The factory gives 170 x 99 x 175 mm as dimensions. The 625 is even more powerful than the 545.
If you can fit it, use that! That would be the best battery for an XZ, if you cannot fit it, I guess the Odyssey PC545 is the best.
XZv2

jasonm.

I buy the cheapest battery I can. I get a minimum of 5 years out of each in the bike.  Then it goes into the tractor for another 2.  It's called maintenance. I got 7 out of my Venture battery. It only went bad because I had a bad diode in the dash causing a drain. I probably could have gotten 10 out of that one.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Brian Moffet

I ended up ordering an AGM battery.  I'll let people know how it works out.  (yes, from Mikes, 59.00 with free shipping.)

Brian

supervision

Hope it works out for you Brian, that guy has some good things for low prices, and free shipping over 50bucks.  I'm thinking of geting a pair of reverse cone megaphones for my old honda cb77 superhawk, only 45 dollars each    Barb and I were over at Manressa beach last Tues., too cold, only 51 with clouds.
" border="0

Rick G

XZv2  can you tell me more about you side car ?  I have thought about putting a chair on my spare V and would appreaciate  some in put and  maybe pics.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

XZv2

Best not in this battery-topic, Rick.
For my present sidecar-XZ see xz550.nl topic "the sidecar".
I am building a second sidecar-XZ with auxiliary frame at present. If you want the most recent info, let me know your email address or start sidecar topic.
XZv2 (email: xzv2@hotmail.com)

Extent

That Odyssey 310 is pretty interesting.  It's a full pound and a half lighter than the Yusa, might not be a bad choice on it's own if your bike's a reliable starter.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Rick G

Yes, I was going to move the topic general, if you were willing to  continue it . I'll call it side cars.
Rick G