Ready to POR, still rust in tank

Started by Tiffanator, November 10, 2007, 05:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Vision

Quote from: Lucky on January 02, 2008, 09:49:07 AM
Tiff, the light has to be triggered by both the neutral switch and the safety relay.

You might also try pulling the (electric) cable going to the clutch perch out and spray some cleaner into the button end. There's a little hole on the bottom of the connector into the perch to stick a small screwdrive up into to release it.

Use your thumb and push the button in and out a few times/ spray a few times... if that doesn't do it, chase the other end into the headlight bucket and check that end's connection... I think it's the pretty bright green connector inside the nest.

that's pretty easy to do and hopefully fix it, or rule it out.

I had a bad one of those on SmokeBomb. That and a couple of bad relays drove me nuts. damn multiple electric gremlins.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiffanator

GOOD NEWS! Took the bike out for a longer ride today... well... by longer I mean maybe 10 minutes, it was just around the neighborhood and I live in a small neighborhood so it would annoy the neighbors if I went around and around in circles for an hour. So I took it down the road (about 1/4 mile) to my brother's house to feed his cat then made a few laps around the hood.
MORE GOOD NEWS! I have hit a HUGE milestone in this process... Satan's Spawn aka the tank... is now dressed with 2 coats of primer. YAY! Why is this a big deal? Cause I'm finally halfway confident that it leaks no more. The real finale will be in the morning when I check it for any leaks... cause I learned that gas will take off the primer. So if the primer is sticky or missing, I know its leaking. Fingers crossed.
BAD NEWS! I don't think she's charging. I rode down to my bro's house, shut the bike off for maybe 5 minutes, got back on and the starter was noticeably slower and the bike had trouble cranking. Rode it around the neighborhood a little while and shut it off when I got home. Started her up again, starter turning over even slower and she barely cranked after a nice fart.
I was more used to the seating position on the bike this time so was more comfortable on it. Tomorrow I'll run the electrex tests on it to see if my stator is toasted, if it is that throws a big wrench in my plans.
Anyone know how much it costs to have the frame painted?
Oh.. and thanks to everyone for all the help on everything. You guys are a life saver and I'm sure you all can relate to what an awesome feeling it is to know that your hard work has made the bike run.
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Lucky

Quote from: Tiffanator on January 12, 2008, 07:49:16 PM
Oh.. and thanks to everyone for all the help on everything. You guys are a life saver and I'm sure you all can relate to what an awesome feeling it is to know that your hard work has made the bike run.
Tiff.

sorry, no idea what your talking about... :>
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

Quote from: Tiffanator on January 12, 2008, 07:49:16 PM
BAD NEWS! I don't think she's charging.

Several used, inexpensive one's here girl... 8) http://search.ebay.ca/yamaha-stator_W0QQfromZR41 N_V, me and one or two other's are running used Virago stator's with good success... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!