News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Ready to POR, still rust in tank

Started by Tiffanator, November 10, 2007, 05:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

The Metal Ready in the POR15 kit is the phosphoric acid/zn.  And yes, it actually isnt a very strong molarity.  That is why I used a 'primer' acid when i did mine.  The 2 hr time limit I think could be taken with a grain of salt.  I would say not to leave it in overnight though.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

67GTO

"Next possible problem. The kit I have gave me 8 ounces of POR... that just really really doesn't seem like enough. Anyone used that amount successfully? Should I go ahead and order another 8 ounces?"

That amount was plenty to coat my tank with. Had to pour out the excess.
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

YellowJacket!

Tiff,
Heres some words of encouragement.
When I got my Vision, I did not know anything at all about fabrication, rebuilding, painting, body work, motorcycle electronics and mechanicals, nothing.  I had ridden dirt bikes as a kid a long time ago and that was it.  I got my Vision the same way you did; it was given to me and I didn't have a clue where to start.  But I did.  I took one part off, then another, and another until I had half a garage full of motorcycle parts and 500mb of digital pictures.
There were many, MANY times I wanted to throw it off a cliff, but, like you, it became a mission and I was not going to give up.  I got all sorts of criticism from my wife about not only getting a bike, but even thinking about riding one, let alone restoring one (which is deep down inside why I think you are so very cool.... ;D  )
Anyway, hang in there.  You have beat 90% of the tank battle.  The rest will come much more easily.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiffanator

Thanks guys... The soak in phosphoric whatever that stuff was is done and the tank is sitting here next to me. There is still something jingling around in there, its either epoxy putty or JB weld... and its not wanting to come out... I did the vacuum thing.. which is actually very handy for getting the rest of the water out. I'm about to hit it with the heat gun til its good and dry then POR it and hope for the best. Its not totally clean, in fact its only a little better than it was, but I'm going with what Lucky said and making sure its free of stuff rustling around (except my one little tagalong) and dry and doing it.
Dave... good to hear you were like me and still made it. My family thinks I'm nuts for having a bike, riding a bike, having a bike that doesn't run, and fixing up a bike... maybe they are right... but its going to be SO nice when its fixed and they are saying how nice it looks. BOOYAH!

Ok.. here we go... wish me luck.
Tiff.
Wish me luck.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

kwells

The 8 ounces is more than enough...You actually end up draining a bit of it after it is all coated.  After it was coated and I drained the excess I let it dry in the upright position so that the amt that is left in there will settle in the low spots for a bit of extra protection.  After about 3 days of sitting I then put some gas in.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiffanator

Ok... I hope someone is reading this soon... I have the can of POR open and I've been stirring for about 10 minutes and I'm not getting a uniform color. Its a light silver but where I stir it turns dark. Is this just from the silver flake in there or is mine bad? I've had it for several months.
Help?
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Lucky

it should be fine, throw caution to the wind!!

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiffanator

Thanks lucky... I went ahead and put it in... have it drooling around in the tank now... man I hope this works.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

YellowJacket!

Ohhhh I hope I'm not too late.  Make sure the tank is at room temp before puring in the POR.  The first time I did my first tank, I had just finished drying it with the hair dryer and it was still quite warm.  As soon as I poured in the POR, it started to set up. (on the hump in the middle).  I stopped and let it cool down by aiming a fan at it to accelerate the process since I didn't want the POR in the can to set up either.
And yes, I never could get a uniform color either.  It ended up kind of swirly in the can.

now, back to my homework...

David

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiffanator

Thanks Dave, the tank was inside and had been sitting for a while before I poured the POR in.. hehe... poured the por.. nice.   :D
Anywhoo... my tank is either bigger... has a different neck... or I'm doing something wrong cause I can't get any excess to come out... so its just going to sit there and cure. I had to use the brush and some of the leftover in the can to coat the area just inside the filler hole cause it wouldn't puddle there. Looking down in the tank its still not a uniform color and you can see some bumps from the rust spots... man I hope this works. If not... NEW TANK! I'll let you all know what happens as it starts to set up. Fingers crossed.
Tiff
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Night Vision

now that you're close to being done.... and before you gas it up a week from now...don't forget to drill the holes in the filler neck to avoid those boil overs
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

??? So how is it looking Tiff'... ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Tiffanator

Well... as of this morning no peeling. Its still a little tacky in some spots inside the tank... well... that I can feel just sticking my finger in there. Around the filler hole its dry and appears to be sticking well. I pulled off the plug that I had over the petcock, the bolts came out quite easily.
Fingers still crossed. Its sitting in the living room (its wonderful living alone) so its not exposed to the humidity outside. I'm going to let it stay there all day today then I'll move it out to the shop and start sanding down the epoxy putty on the outside and prepping it for paint.
N_V... holes in the filler neck? First I've heard of that. How many holes? Any special size or spacing or is it just enough to let the air through?
Thanks
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

ironb12s

Step back from the tank. Let it sit for the next 2 days, don't even look in there.  Let the POR finish curing before you do anything else.  Any peeling isn't going to happen right after you've applied it, but down the road a few months or years.  Next weekend you can drill vent holes in the neck, just be sure you get all of the metal filings out after...drilling from under (tank overhead) would avoid that, but then your eyes would be at risk.  Butt, you wear protective gear when you're doing this work, no?   ;)

And, the perfect place to let a CBMM's tank cure would be the dining room or kitchen table...    ;D

Congrats, tho, you've won the war!   8)
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiffanator on November 12, 2007, 08:07:17 AM
........ Its sitting in the living room (its wonderful living alone) so its not exposed to the humidity outside. ........

N_V... holes in the filler neck? First I've heard of that. How many holes? Any special size or spacing or is it just enough to let the air through?

actually, humidity will help the por dry faster  ;)

I put two 1/16 in holes in the filler neck.... there's are cutouts/recesses at 12:00 and 6:00 (not the ones for the gas cap at 1:00 and 7:00, down lower in the filler neck....

I used a 4"? long 1/16 bit from Ace (that I can't find right now, so it looks like I'll need another) and a punch so that long skinny bit didn't walk too much.

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

Being an old sheetmetal mechanic, I used a scratch awl to punch a hole at  3 oclock, to stop boil overs during fill ups. 
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiffanator

N_V and Rick... thanks guys, didn't know anything about the holes, glad you told me so I didn't have to learn first hand.   :-\ I will put that on my list of things to do.
N_V... I thought that humidity was bad for the POR? Well... I'll go with what you guys say, you are the experts. The tank has been moved to the garage because it stunk up my house. I'm still trying to get rid of POR-15 smell. Its a nice humid morning for the tank too.  :)
Thanks
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

YellowJacket!

The good thing about the POR smell is that it counteracts the phosphoric acid smell.   Not as nice as the sweet acetone smell though.  ;D

David

Tiger

??? Sooooooo......Nearly a weeks gone by...how's the "new" tank coming along Tiff' ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!