Ready to POR, still rust in tank

Started by Tiffanator, November 10, 2007, 05:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiffanator

Hey Tiger, thanks for checking up. I let the tank sit all week curing. I'm about to put the airbox on, tank on, fill her up with some gas and see if we can't get this kitten to purr. If anyone is reading this though... I have 2 hoses that look like fuel line hoses that run from the back of the bike to up around the carb... where do they go? I also have a black hose that comes off the airbox, where does it go? There is one nipple on the carbs that I don't know what hose attaches to it, I figured it was one of the clearish fuel hoses, but neither will reach. Help?

Thanks
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Tiffanator

Got my answer on the hose coming off the airbox. Now the other two?
Tiffanator
First time restorer

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

ironb12s

Quote from: kwells on November 17, 2007, 12:30:17 PM
Tiff,
This may help...it's not mine ...just reposting
http://www.xz550.com/carbvac_page_files/vac_diagram.jpeg

I scoped that diagram, and it leaves just as many questions unanswered.   :(  WHAT fuel pump and fuel regulator?  Are we talking about the petcock?  Never mind, that is the ACCELERATOR pump.

There should be a 1/4"-5/16" line for fuel from the carbs to the petcock, and another 1/8"-3/16" line from a vacuum nipple on the carbs to the petcock.  That line may be split to supply vacuum to the YICS and other sundries, or that may be from the other vacuum nipple on the carbs.

Have'n ya punched the vents in the filler neck?
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Tiger

Quote from: Tiffanator on November 17, 2007, 12:07:44 PM
1 x  I have 2 hoses that look like fuel line hoses that run from the back of the bike to up around the carb... where do they go?

2 x I also have a black hose that comes off the airbox, where does it go?

3 x There is one nipple on the carbs that I don't know what hose attaches to it, I figured it was one of the clearish fuel hoses, but neither will reach. Help?

:) #1, I think, are the carb vent line's...They run down from the carbs toward the rear of the bike and exit out at the centre stand, (approx'), between the battery box & the C.D.I unit.
With the gas tank and air box removed...Look down at the carb's and you will find a vent at the rear top left corner of both carb's. attach a hose to each one.
These are normally "clear" hose, but may have been changed out by a previous owner...I changed mine ;)

:) #2 If this is a thin hose coming out of the top/front of the air box it attaches to a wee disc filter that is located on the right side of the carb, forward of the YIC's...

??? #3...Where on the carbs is it ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Tiffanator

I know the two hoses that go to the petcock. These aren't them. I've snapped a few pictures of what I'm talking about.
Tiger... that kinda makes sense... but don't those two vents go up into the airbox? Would the hoses have to be routed through the airbox for that to be the case?
Ok... pics.

You can see the whole setup in that pic. The hose that comes out of the top of the disc filter goes to the right hand side of the carb as seen in that pic. Thats how it was when i took the carbs off. I read in a post that the small hose from the top of the airbox attaches to the nipple on the carb as seen on the lower side of the front carb (right hand) as seen in the pic, its the black hose that runs off the screen. The two hoses in question are that clearish-orange hose at the bottom of the pic. It was attached to something with a pretty big outer diameter as seen in the next pic:

Here you can kinda get a feel of the diameter of the hose. There is another one this same size that isn't quite long enough to reach up to the carbs, it just makes it to the back of the rear carb. I took the airbox and carbs off so long ago that I don't remember where these were connected. I took lots of pics of the carbs... once they were off the bike.. duh. Note to self.
Ok.. third pic, closeup of the disc filter. Again this is how the disc filter was hooked up when the carbs came off... I think. Now I'm not so sure. I'll go look.

Again... the hose on the right hand side goes from the carb down to the disc filter... the hose to the lower left goes from the carb to the airbox.

Open for corrections. I'm going to go consult all my other pics to make sure thats how it was... I'm doubting myself now.
Thanks... SHE WILL CRANK TODAY! I hope.
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

kwells

those large diameter clear-ish hoses are drainage hoses....they go on the 'petcock side' of the carbs on the top...facing toward the rear

Founds a spare set put together already and snapped a pic

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiffanator

Thanks... that helps tons... I hooked everything up, put the tank on, hooked up the fuel lines, put some gas in the tank... cranked it over.. and... nothing. How do I get the bike to prime the carbs? They have no fuel in them and it seems like pumping the throttle is doing nothing. I pulled the tank off and hooked up a line and kinda a pony tank type deal with a funnel... it seems to be pulling a little bit of gas when I crank it over, but opening the throttle doesn't shoot a stream of fuel into the carb throat. I know.. I'm ignorant and should probably stop here.
Help.
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

kwells

unless you pulled the accelerator nozzles off and cleaned in there ...they are probably still clogged unfortunately

The squirt will only come out when the throttle is twisted and activates the accelerator pump
To prime the carbs....just turn the petcock to prime and wait a couple mins for it to trickle through

www.wellsmoto.com

Tiffanator

Thanks for all the fast help. You are a lifesaver. I did pull out the accellerator nozzles and cleaned them and blew air through them. I have tried once before to crank the bike and got them to spray, but the carbs weren't completely clean so I pulled them off and cleaned them again, and haven't gotten the nozzles to spray again. I have the petcock set to prime now so will just watch to see what happens.
Thanks so much.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Tiffanator

OH.. and NO LEAKS FROM THE GAS TANK!!! WOOOOO! I'm happy... very happy. Lets hope it stays that way. No leaks from the petcock either.  ;D ;D ;D
Tiffanator
First time restorer

ironb12s

Yep, let the carbs prime, the bowls need to fill and the pump needs to as well.  Sorry to post the obvious about the petcock, just making sure.  When you see fuel squirt from the accelerator jets, it should be ready to fire.  ;)

KW, man, how a pic is worth a thousand words, and the memories it brought back!    ;D

h2olawyer

Tiff -I hear a drum roll & we're collectively holding our breath.  You appear to be on the homestretch getting her running!   8)

Quote from: ironb12s on November 17, 2007, 12:43:42 PM
Quote from: kwells on November 17, 2007, 12:30:17 PM
Tiff,
This may help...it's not mine ...just reposting
http://www.xz550.com/carbvac_page_files/vac_diagram.jpeg

I scoped that diagram, and it leaves just as many questions unanswered.   :(  WHAT fuel pump and fuel regulator?  Are we talking about the petcock?  Never mind, that is the ACCELERATOR pump.

The Vision has & fuel pump / regulator located between the carbs.  If you had yours close or had worked on it recently, maybe you would remember this fact.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiffanator

Thanks guys... ok... something funny has to be going on. When I tried to crank the bike last time, before I cleaned the carbs a second time... I hooked up a funnel and hose and the fuel flowed freely down into the carbs til I dumped out the side. Now... I hook everything up the same way... and its just sitting there. The fuel is not flowing into the carbs. When I cleaned them the second time I did not mess with the fuel pump and regulator at all, only split the carbs and dunked each one. Now.. all of a sudden, its acting like something got clogged in the process. I have checked for kinks in the hoses and find nothing. I'm baffled.
Any ideas? Anyone experienced this?
Thanks
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

ironb12s

I'd pull all of the supply hosing and blow them out to see if they are plugged with something.  Who knows, maybe something in the petcock broke loose, or a bit of debris from the tank (NO, THAT CAN'T BE IT) or something is now in the path of the fuel.  That black hose going between the carbs on the right, no, rather the left side, the T tube, is the main supply bar, no?  Check it for a block, shoot carb cleaner into the fuel ports.  At last resort, check the bowl by loosening their drains.

DAMMIT, Girl, you are SO close!

ironb12s

Quote from: h2olawyer on November 17, 2007, 03:19:43 PM
The Vision has & fuel pump / regulator located between the carbs.  If you had yours close or had worked on it recently, maybe you would remember this fact.

H2O

Yep, KW's pic brought it all back, it's been at least 10 years since I have looked at my V's carbs at length...

Tiffanator

Ok, I pulled off the supply hose and fuel went everywhere... but when I hook them up... nothing. So apparently both lines are clogged going into the carb. I tried to blow air into them, but the fittings I bought for the air blaster on my air gun aren't compatible with the fittings on the hose... so it won't work. I'm just probably going to have to pull the carbs off again and blast them out with air when I get the right fitting. Then maybe it will work. I sloshed a little fuel down the carb throats and the bike fired and rolled over a few times before it ran out of fuel. So it will fire, it just needs the fuel to do it.
Soon... very soon.
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

YellowJacket!

Tiff,
I know its obvious but make sure the fuel supply line coming from the petcock to the carb is not kinked.

I'm holding my breath.

Good Luck!

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

ironb12s

IIRC, the tops of these carbs can be removed, above the venturis?  You can pull those and check the passages fuel is supposed to enter the bowls from.  Pulling the carbs isn't a big deal, as you already know, with the tank, seat and airbox out of the way.  I think a cleaning of the fuel inlets is in order, not necessarily another "dip".  While off, remove the bowls and check the inlet needles for movement.

Is there fuel getting thru the pump that is between the carbs?  On the T tube?  Take care of whatever is blocking the inlet, all should be cured.  As I stated previously, leave the bowl drains loose or off to ensure that fuel is getting to them...and I would test all of this off of the bike, if I could - with your pony tank as you described it.

Tiffanator

Dave... I chased the fuel all the way to the T shaped line going directly from the fuel pump into the carbs... it shot fuel all over me so I'm getting a good stream to there, it just won't flow into the carbs. I tried to blow some air into the passages but was trying to hold the air gun fitting on the hose and air was blowing in every direction out of the fitting and it was an awkward angle so I just gave up. I will go to Lowe's and get the right fitting and try again, that's so annoying. I think the male end of the fitting is longer than the female end so it won't lock in place, so it just shoots air everywhere.
ironb12s... easy to get out? I hate those things. I'll see if I can find a way to just pull the tops and blow air through the passages to clear them up. Maybe some crud came loose on the second dunk and clogged them up.. but I thought I made sure all of those were clear. Never hurts to just run another check though.
I'm going to get it. I'm too close now.
Tiffanator
First time restorer