News:

Main Menu

Ready to POR, still rust in tank

Started by Tiffanator, November 10, 2007, 05:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) Tiff'...A complete, ready to plug into your "V", unit will be heading your way in tomorrow's mail. I removed the "burp bolt", cleaned the thread's and put a dab of anti-seize on it...(prior to re-installing it, finger tight!!)...I'll also include a couple of usefull "extra's".......Merry Christmas :D :D :D :D :D... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

QBS

Tiger, you are a very good man.  I hope to meet you one day.  All the best.

inanecathode

I'm much much happier with how any vehicle i've had runs after tuning 'on the fly'
For example, an accelerator pump adjustment. How do you know when you have it right without riding it?
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Tiger

Quote from: QBS on November 20, 2007, 10:27:19 PM
Tiger, you are a very good man.  I hope to meet you one day.  All the best.

:-[ Thanks Q, but like everyone here, I help out where I can. Love to meet up with you someday buddy 8) Best wishes to you and your's 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Tiger

:) Parts on the way to you, via air mail...duck when you see the plane flyin' low over your place ;D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiffanator

Thanks so much Tiger, you rock. Its funny... I have planes fly LOW over my place all the time. At first it kinda freaked me out, but according to google earth my house is near the approach path to the landing strip at the military base. Yay. So anyway... if I hear one pass over I'll run out and look for my package!
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

Tiffanator

I figured instead of starting a new thread about my progress I would just keep this one going. Since I'm waiting for the parts to arrive from Tiger I can't do much toward getting the carbs synched cause I can't run the bike... So I decided to start sanding some stuff down. Oh man, what a mess. You may have read earlier in this thread that I tried to remove the paint from the plastics using a paint stripper only to find it was a plastic stripper as well. I set out to do a little correcting and get the remaining paint off. Here's a pic of a side panel with before and after sides of a good sanding with 80 grit to remove the paint and smooth the rough edges. I really hope you can tell which is which.

The shiny spots on the sanded side are gouges in the plastic that I will have to fill in with body filler and sand smooth. You can see the nice shiny Star Silver beneath where the Vision logo was.
Next up was the front fender. No paint stripper was used on it... only 80 grit sandpaper. I started sanding and noticed a nice pattern emerging... racing stripe anyone?

The blue is paint and the white/yellow is the bare plastic. The shape of the fender does lend itself well to a potential racing stripe paint job.
Last up was the tank. The paint has already been stripped, I just had to sand down the epoxy putty. I started with hand sanding, figured out very quickly that wasn't going to work, used the random orbital sander, no dice, so moved to the dremel with a sanding bit, oh yeah... made quick work of the putty. I sanded it down close to the bare metal and finished off with a hand sander. I don't have the whole tank done yet cause... with my luck... I hit a few spots that the putty didn't set close up against the tank, and they started leaking... but very... very tiny amounts. A little more putty and they were fixed. It did however look like an indoor snowstorm...

Dust everywhere. And Dave.. before you die of an asthma attack... this photo is for you...

I did use breathing protection the whole time I was sanding. The eye protection helped some... but since they weren't goggles I still did get a little dust in my eyes.. but nothing like what would have happened without anything.

So that's what I've been up to. Didn't do a whole lot over Thanksgiving cause I was too stuffed full of turkey and dressing to get off the couch.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

YellowJacket!

LOL...  Fell out of my chair when I saw the last picture Tiff.  The whole while I was reading, I was thinking "I hope she is wearing a respirator".  ;D

You made my day!  It was the break I needed form my massive "final paper due in three days with out a clue" binge that I have been on today.

Take Care,

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

These posts are so entertaining!  Thanks, Tiff!!!

David - Those three day paper binges can be done in a day - research included.  Been there, done that (successfully) several times.  Remember - Never put off until tomorrow what can be done next week!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Tiffanator

Glad I could give you guys a giggle. Dave... you can do it.. I once wrote a 22 page paper in a span of about 3 days. Not fun, not fun at all. I did many 4-5 page papers in a few hours.. those aren't fun either.
Yes, wore the respirator.. didn't fancy odd colored boogers for days.
Next question... is there a special hose that has to be used for the vent lines off the carb and fuel tank or will any plastic hose of that size work? I'm going to replace them but need to know if the stuff from Lowe's will work or if I need to order special stuff. Although it would be in my typical style to put the wrong stuff on there and end up with a melty goo pile under the bike after a few days.   :D
Tiffanator
First time restorer

louthepou

Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Lucky

the hoses were originaly clear, & i'm sure you can still but the proper ones, but neither of my bikes have them.  no one has ever given me a good reason for them, but someone once mentioned them being added to the design by "safety nazi's".

i suppose they may, perhaps, cut down on the evap of fuel in the bowls durring down time, avoiding the need to prime the carbs...dunno...

someone once told me all good body work is done naked....   8) :o ;)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

inanecathode

Two words, surplus gasmask.
It's what i use for painting, sanding, fiberglass work, etc. It's both eye protection and vapor protection. Plus they're only 20-30 bucks or so at an army surplus store. If its good enough for nerve gas it's good enough for sanding residue :D

Night Vision

just get regular clear vinyl hose at HD or wherever... it'll turn yellow in awhile (just the the OEM ones  :D ) guess that means they are doing their job and venting noxious fuel vapors towards the people behind ya  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

Quote from: h2olawyer on November 27, 2007, 02:20:45 PM
These posts are so entertaining!  Thanks, Tiff!!!

David - Those three day paper binges can be done in a day - research included.  Been there, done that (successfully) several times.  Remember - Never put off until tomorrow what can be done next week!

H2O

Quote from: Tiffanator on November 27, 2007, 03:19:56 PM
Glad I could give you guys a giggle. Dave... you can do it.. I once wrote a 22 page paper in a span of about 3 days. Not fun, not fun at all. I did many 4-5 page papers in a few hours.. those aren't fun either.
Yes, wore the respirator.. didn't fancy odd colored boogers for days.
Next question... is there a special hose that has to be used for the vent lines off the carb and fuel tank or will any plastic hose of that size work? I'm going to replace them but need to know if the stuff from Lowe's will work or if I need to order special stuff. Although it would be in my typical style to put the wrong stuff on there and end up with a melty goo pile under the bike after a few days.   :D

DONE!!  In record time!  (11:30am to 7:30pm)

14 page paper (not including cover sheet and 2 pages of citations) AND.... 14 slide PowerPoint presentation!

Now, if y'all will scuse me, I have a rather large margarita to drink in celebration.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Rick G

Theres alot to be said for eye and breathing protection while sanding and painting .  In 1976 I worked for a tractor  dealer ,(this was before OSHA really got going) one of my duties  was  to sand and paint  used tractor. I  had goggles to protect my glasses, but no breathing protection other than a shop rag wrapped around my face . After finishing the construction yellow paint job , I discovered that the inside of my nose was painted yellow and very sticky (if you like that part wait for what comes next )   so I wound toilet paper around the erasor  on a pencil and dunked it in paint thinner and used it as a giant Qtip to get the paint out of my nose. Everyone in the shop kept asking  if I wanted a cigerette!! it was a week before I could smell any thing but thinner. The final straw was when  a 6 ft. tyre iron slipped and hit me between the eyes  and parted my glasses , knocking me out in the process . When I came to , I turned in my time and packed up my tools. Didn't seem like I'd survive there long!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

Paint thinner on an eraser, hard to beat that rick :o

As long as i dont have an open flame i can work in my 10ftx12ft shed with an open can of carb dip and carb cleaner spray all over for as long as i want as long as my mask straps are tight :)
Dont smell a single thing other than fresh air (and a smidge of what i think is teargas residue on the inside of the mask :P)

Tiffanator

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips.
Tiger... got my parts.. THANKS! That was fast... and I knew exactly what they were when I opened the mailbox and saw a big red maple leaf.
Lucky... I alreaday have some clear vinyl hose, so I'll stick them on there for good measure.
N_V... thanks, I'll do that. Maybe the noxious fumes will let people behind me know that there's a bike in front of them... see... safety measure.
Inane... hmm... didn't think of that. I was watching a TV show and they had the full face gas mask looking respirators and I was thinking I need one. May make a trip to the army surplus store around here.
Dave... GOOD JOB! You go man... now you need to proofread and edit your paper several times, then have other people do it too, then re-write it making the corrections. Or do like me and just turn it in without ever reading it.  ;D
Rick... toilet paper and paint thinner? Geez man, thats hard core. Bet sitting down to eat just wasn't the same for a while after that. Good way to diet... take a big whiff of a nice hot pepperoni pizza and get a nose full of paint thinner, not very appetizing.
Thanks all... going to put the parts Tiger sent me on tonight and get back to work synching the carbs.
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer

OregonTom

As a newbie Vision owner, I have really enjoyed this post Tiff. But most of all, good on ya for taking on this project and bringing it back to life. Very impressive tenacity.

Tom
1982 Yamaha Vision
1978 Yamaha 750 Special
2000 Yamaha TTR225
2002 Ducati ST4s
2000 Harley Dyna Sport

Tiffanator

Hi Tom, I hope I haven't scared you too much with the problems I've been having with my Vision, its really not that bad, I just do everything the hard way.

Ok guys, another quick question. I'm looking at ordering new bearings for the front wheel... in another post Tiger stated that the bearing ID was #6302ZZ... at Dennis Kirk they have #6302-2RS. They are the same size, one is shielded, one is sealed. Neither Dennis Kirk nor JC Whitney have the 6302ZZ bearing. What is the difference? Do I HAVE to use the ZZ or can I use the 2RS? Not a big deal really, I was just ordering a fuel filter from Dennis Kirk and wanted to get the bearings while I was at it instead of having to purchase and pay to ship from another place.
Thanks
Tiff.
Tiffanator
First time restorer