News:

Main Menu

Can the fuel pump, pump oil?

Started by Glyn, November 15, 2007, 03:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glyn

Just thinking about earlier posts about running a stream of oil over the stator using a separate small pump circuit. I wondered could the current diaphram pump be used to pump oil instead of petrol? Or would the oil be too thick/hot for the mechanism. It appears that with a pretty full gas tank it is not really needed to supply the carbs.

Walt_M.

It seems to be a little weak for one thing and I don't know how it would handle hot oil. Also, not having the fuel pump would put more of a limit on fuel range than I would like. My 2 cents.
Whale oil beef hooked!

ironb12s

I think the solution to the baked R/R and stator will be in the R/R redesign that Tanno and SrFrank are working on.

You were thinking about adding another vacuum operated diaphragm pump like is in the petcock to supply a stream of oil over the stator?  It's worth some thought if the R/R redesign doesn't pan out...the current one only controls flow of fuel under a gravity fed system, so the application to oil might be a reach.
SOC-UK 19744*MIG 821*IBA 9200*AMA 580210
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Book: "She don't look like much."
KayLee: "'Ah-uh, she'll fool ya."

Lucky

I've got a few years on a used stator & R/R with the oil cooler i designed & built, so far, so good....
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

I still want to try directing air from the  oil filler into the stator cavity , I just need to figure out how to get it out , with out throwing oil all  ove the place.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

hmmm how about RAM AIR right into the stator cavity.  I've been thinking about a supercharger that instead of provides HP, gives the stator a good cooling.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Glyn

I think introducing air into the cavity may be a little risky this may introduce water vapour, even if the air was filtered for dust etc. Lucky's oil cooler is far the best mod so far. The problem seems to be the statort doesn't get sufficient "cooled" oil on it. It needs to have a couple of squirters aimed at it. There seems to be a few small 12v bilge emptying type emptying pumps on E bay.  Sold at marine shops I think. Quite cheap and could be just connected to a handlebar switch, or even an ignition circuit. The inlet would be via the filler hole so the amount of tubing etc would be minimal. May be alot of hastle for little gain however! I've still got to weld the alloy fins I've constructed to the stator case. I was going to wait until the stator blew again. But with an oil cooler now fitted that may be a long time.