Previous topic - Next topic

admin

heh heh, my vision seems to run fine on only 550cc of RAM.   ;D
making sure you have enough RAM to run vista-cruiser is important
though, but where Jim said xp was perfectly fine, I don't think thats
whats been giving him problems.

Hopefully he's got it fixed up by now, external devices, especially usb
one's can draw a lot of power. for example, there is a certain brand of cable
modem that uses a usb connector that I've run into problems with.
Even usb mice can give you grief, I had a user with a dead pc,
it wouldn't start, tested a few things and finally it was the mouse that
was causing it.
So if your stock power supply is marginal, ( as most stockers are)
any additional load might give you problems.

high performance power supplies are finally available from vendors
for this very reason.

lastly, couchflyer, I love that tagline.
Life really is too short to not be Italian   :o

-Ron

jasonm.

Too bad you could not wait till they got the bugs out of Vista. Experts use one word...'resource hog' when it's running. "XP professional" is a known as a 'good system'. Plus I don't think 333 is fast enough for Vista.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Brian Moffet

Yup, I've been very happy with XP Pro on my 2.x ghz machine, now that it has 2 gig of memory in it.

It also runs Linux, but mostly I'm on XP Pro.

Brian

jasonm.

I have XP pro on one of my PCs. Works without a hitch.  I learned a while back. On many things..."newer is not always better".
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Tanno

Quote from: jasonm. on November 25, 2007, 12:21:06 PM
Too bad you could not wait till they got the bugs out of Vista. Experts use one word...'resource hog' when it's running. "XP professional" is a known as a 'good system'. Plus I don't think 333 is fast enough for Vista.

At the bare minimum, a machine needs at least an 800 MHz processor, 512 MB of memory and a graphics card that can run DirectX 9 graphics. Computers optimized for premium performance on the OS can be 32-bit or 64-bit, but they will require a 1 GHz processor, 1 GB of main memory, 128 MB of memory and a graphics card that supports Vista's new graphics interface, called Windows Aero. 

This laptop I'm on is 1.7ghz w/ 2gb ram...it's okay with Vista.
My desktop is 2.4ghz w/ 4gb ram and it's running XP Pro.

Vista came w/ my laptop and I like it....although there are many annoyances, there are no problems. Every program it doesn't recognise, it asks if it should run. I haven't yet found a way to turn that off, but I'm working on that one.
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

haunter

my 1.86 with 2 gb of ram screamed on vista

now its 2.33 and 4 gb of ram

of course, there are 2 cores running at that speed :D

but really, the 2 gb of ram was enough, i just had the itch, the cash, and it was on sale

How is this problem going coil?
82 with fairing, rejetted, 83 turbo seca fork and brakes coming whenver I acquire the rest of the parts, and she stops breaking long enough to be in the garage for an upgrade instead of a repair.

Coil Coyle

Ok,
      Thanks for all of the help. I am getting used to the lack of drop downs from FILE etc. I finally figured out how to rename a sheet in Excel.

With the computer set up to start on power up I'm not having any trouble getting it booted, I just unplug it and then it boots right up when I plug it in.

My free AVG 7.5 now wants $54.99 to buy AVG 8.0. Should I buy it or is there another hot new free Anti Viral software?

Gratefully,
;)
Coil

macroars

I want my breakdowns to be in my garage, and not at my desk. Hence are Mac better - better - better - better!

Just to add a little bit religion to the discussion...

For I am a confessing Mac-ist.
MacRoarS

You are right about me being wrong.
You are wrong about you being right.
                                     House MD

vadasz1

Coil..........go visit the AVG website (www.free.grisoft.com) and get the new free 8.0 version.  Make sure that you completely uninstall the 7.5 version then install the 8.0 version.

Also there are other free virus scanners if you do a Google search you'll find them.

You can also try a couple of magazine sites I use:

www.maximumpc.com   &   www.computerpoweruser.com

These are great sites and magazines to get as well.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

YellowJacket!

Yup, there is an 8.0 free version. just have to look for it.  I have been running it a couple weeks and am pleased with it.  The nice thing is that it also has antispyware integrated into it as well.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

pat sullivan

Anybody know if the ver. 8 of AVG runs with the 64 bit version of vista?

Pat S.

Coil Coyle

Thanks, uninstalling the old one changed the response of their site.
:)

Pat, As it installs there is a dialog where you choose 32 or 64 bit Vista.

You guys are great!
;)
Coil

kiawrench

gee whiz,, i guess i should maybe upgrade now,,, learned a lot on vista, xp , usb and what not,,,, maybe it IS time to retire my windows 3.1.1 !!!!!
     (yes Yellow jacket, i do have a operating laptop still using win 3.1.1,,, old ibm butterfly keyboard puppy,,, really screams at 133 mhz!!)
    trust me , fathers day gift from kids is a quantum leap ,, but no i do not use that 99.9999999874 percent of time   - got a sweet used alienware area 51 as result of a repo action,,, guy needed money to get his car back,,, 1 yr old, runs anything i ask it to and then pats it foot looking for more tasks to perform , lmao )

oh, i too prefer to use and rec. AVG,, fast simple , easy to get and best of all, it catches a lot more stuff than norton ever did
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Tanno

There wasn't a 3.1.1 version..... it was 3.11.

Quiz: What is the difference between Win 3.1 and Win 3.11?
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

vadasz1

Windows for Workgroups 3.11 was network capable. While 3.1 wasn't.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Tanno

Vadasz1 get the prize! .... an Atta-Boy.

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Tanno on June 12, 2008, 07:17:58 AM
There wasn't a 3.1.1 version..... it was 3.11.

Quiz: What is the difference between Win 3.1 and Win 3.11?

I thought 3.11 had a slightly brighter BLUE SCREEN of DEATH

;D
Coil

Brian Moffet

That's because it turned your monitor up when you weren't looking...

Tanno

Win 3.x didn't have any BSOD's. They had an error window titled "General Protection Fault".

GPF's were worse than most BSOD's in that, you had no choice but to shut down and restart.