News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Custom exhaust maybe...

Started by Tiger, November 24, 2007, 05:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) I'm thinking that, just maybe, over the winter period...trying to fashion a 2 into 1 system for one of my Vision's... :-\

I could use: The MAC front pipe, the rear "Y", have another piece fashioned from the "Y" to the end the front pipe, use another "Y" to bleed into a slip on...R6 stock, Kerker, etc... 8)

What say you, those smarter than I... :-\

Any reason(s) why it would/wouldn't work... :-\

Your thoughts and idea's please... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

I've been playing mental gymnastics with about the same idea.  Haven't found a why not yet.  Something about great minds . . .

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

I think as long as you end the system with...forget the name...the plates you add or subtract to change backpressure.  you'd be fine, it'd be more $$, but if your going to do it right...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

louthepou

That's "baffles", Dave. :)

(unless it's made from glueing together bagels, so a baffle made from bagels would be a baffel).

(what have I been drinking)

Tiger, I've been thinking about that stuff for quite a while too. I guess what's stopping me is that, to do a good, proper job, a pipe bender (the type that's not too expensive when on sale at Princess Auto) would be key I believe. I do have the MIG welder, so now I'm just one tool away from being ready to try.

I think that starting from good quality, right gauge pipe is also better than playing around with too-thin off the shelf repair parts from the auto parts store (like what you find in the bins at Canadian Tire on this side of the border).

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

QBS

Contact Ron McCoy.  Have seen his custom system and it's on the same level as the Preditor system in every way except price.

Extent

I've been thinking about a custom exhaust as well.  Planning on putting it together with donuts and u-bends as needed, not as smooth as bent tubing, but hopefully a little easier to put together.

My biggest question mark is what to do about mounting it up to the head (well that and choosing runner lengths), my fallback is to just chop up the stock system for as much as possible.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

h2olawyer

Quote from: Lucky on November 24, 2007, 06:21:20 PM
I think as long as you end the system with...forget the name...the plates you add or subtract to change backpressure.  you'd be fine, it'd be more $$, but if your going to do it right...

Sounds like a Supertrapp silencer.  That's what I was considering using & even though it would drive up the cost, doing it as a dual system, kind of like the MACs but with a silencer on each side, eliminating the necessity of removing the lower MAC can when servicing the rear wheel / tire.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

A visionary in Mn , DT, built such an exhaust system  it worked and looked great!  he used the front pipe from the MAC exhaust . When he sold the bike the new owner didn't want the MACs so he gave then to me  , I'm still running them. I've thought about a custom system , but I've got so many things going I never get to it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

XZv2

Tiger, I have a left-side-only silencer system on my present XZ with sidecar (converted standard parts, eh Dutch imitation of standard parts) and I am making an only-left-side system for my future XZ with sidecar.
I do not understand why all aftermarket single-silencer-systems are at the right side. It is so much easier to remove your rear wheel if your silencer is at the left side. Your axle goes out right and you have more room to wriggle out the wheel if there 's no silencer.....
I did not find any disadvantage of the left side set-up. I would like such a system for my non-sidecar XZ also.

If you make a complete system from scratch, I advise a left side silencer or complete left side system. My two eurocents.....
XZv2

arfa vmax

my standard system looks in good nick an the p/o has had the down pipes made from stainless steel.I was thinking about making a single rear pipe system using the stainless pipes but so the original system could be refitted for the mot test as they are getting a bit keen on none standard pipes over here.I used to make most of my replacement systems up with exhaust sections from my local car breakers.Its amazing how many people fit new exhausts then scrap the car.

Tiger

:) I think the after market system's go up the right side to give the "V" a symetrical balance...given that the drive unit is on the left side. However, I think XZv2 idea is a sensible one. Mounting an exhaust on the left side makes it easier to: Remove the rear wheel, adjust the rear brake, check the brake stabiliser bar fastener's, etc... 8)

arfa vmax your a man after my own heart ;) I used to love the old wrecker's yard's back in the U.K. I got many a good bargain from them, especially exhaust system's...car and bike ;D :D :D :D

Like your thinking 'Pou...Princess auto for a pipe bender...Hmmmmm, "Hey Honey I think you can buy me a pipe bender for Christmas" ;D ;D :D :D :D :D :D.... 8)

Thanks for the input everyone...keep it coming 8) I think we may see several custom exhaust's next spring, eh!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
p.s. Does anyone have picture's of their custom system that they can post ??? ??? ???

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Brian_Matthewson

I've also been thinking about a custom 2 into 1 exhaust, starting with the Mac front pipe.
Take a look at Superfly's V in the gallery, about 5 rows down, it uses a Supertrapp and he says he loves it. He found the "Y" pipe in a scrapyard.
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.

jasonm.

One thing not to forget is the weight on the rear "Y pipe". That Y pipe only has 2 copper rings and compression clamps. It is not the strongest design. In the stock design, most of the weight is supported by the passanger peg brackets and the stiff front pipes meeting in the middle. As long as it is no heavier than a MAC rear pipe you will be fine.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Extent

I thought a bit about the right v. left thing myself, I think there was a little more room for the plumbing if it was on the right, but I'm going to try for a highmout right side exhaust myself for mostly vanity reasons.  It doesn't hide any of the "cool" side of the swingarm and it helps to hide some of the spindly right side.  It shows off the exhaust better when parked, since it leans left, and heat can dissipate up and away from the bike, rather than into the tail plastics.  It'll help counterbalance the shaft weight.  And most importantly I always seem to fall on my left side :D

I want to try and get rid of the stock Y pipe configuration and replace it all with slipjointed springs.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

louthepou

Ok, anyone would see a problem with welding the Y pipe to the parts that receive it exiting the cylinder head? These two thingies are bolted on the head, and they look like normal steel... unless I'm missing something, that sounds like a potential plan?

I think I'm talking about parts 3 and 4 on this picture.

Tiger

:) 'Pou, that would give you a, sort of, front head exhaust set up...one more less leakable joint area ::) That would also eliminate Jasonm's concern... ;)
Depending on the "other end" set-up, would you be able to get the newly welded "Y" pipe up and in, from underneath the "V"... or ???

8).......TIGER....... 8)

louthepou

Nope, indeed. That would have to be done with the engine out of the frame, with the new "upgraded" Y (should I start refferning to is as "Super Y"?) then bolted on, and then slide the engine back in the frame.

But once it's done, no more bleeding finger joints trying to slip the clamps and the copper washers on...

Lou

Tiger

Quote from: louthepou on November 25, 2007, 05:54:53 PM
But once it's done, no more bleeding finger joints trying to slip the clamps and the copper washers on...
Lou

8)...BONUS... 8)

Night Vision

Quote from: Tiger on November 25, 2007, 05:50:53 PM
......would you be able to get the newly welded "Y" pipe up and in, from underneath the "V"... or ???

Quote from: louthepou on November 25, 2007, 05:54:53 PM
Nope, indeed. That would have to be done with the engine out of the frame, with the new "upgraded" Y (should I start refferning to is as "Super Y"?) then bolted on, and then slide the engine back in the frame.

you should be able to put the Super Y in without dropping engine... basically, your Super Y is the same setup as the predator:

http://www.ridersofvision.net/Links/Predator/predator.html

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano