News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Custom exhaust maybe...

Started by Tiger, November 24, 2007, 05:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

I looked at Ron McCoy's pipe out in Co. it sounds a bit different than the Predator, it is the only one I have seen that exits on the left side of the bike. Which is not a bad thing just different.
    I also cannot see any problem with welding the " Y " pipe to items  # 3 & 4. The Predator has no joints in this area only clamps. You would probably need to tack weld the pipes while in position for correct alignment.
     I'm looking forward to seeing your set up this spring Tiger.
                                         Cheers Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

QBS

FYI: Predator states that all parts are available seperately. 

kwells

So Ron, any pre-production thoughts on your patented exhaust system?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Night Vision

Quote from: QBS on November 25, 2007, 08:14:18 PM
FYI: Predator states that all parts are available seperately. 

the predator Y pipe is not that great... you end up having to remove some of a crossover tube on the bottom of the frame, plus the xz550 is not listed on their site anymore
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Ron_McCoy

If you weld 3&4 to the Y pipe you may not be able to install the Y pipe.  I don't know this for sure, but in my experience it seems likely.  The way I did mine was to install the Y pipe without the #14 rings installed,
clamp the #15 collars to the flanges on # 3&4 with needle nose vice grips or small finger clamps, and tack them to the Y pipe.  Remove the Y pipe and weld out the # 15s.  Reassemble with the copper rings installed and your leaks will be gone and the Y pipe becomes a structural part of the exhaust system. This works with the stock exhaust as well as a custom exhaust. I've been running mine with this modification for over 20 yrs. It put an end to that rear cylinder exhaust leak that sounds like a really loose valve.

Tiger

:) I picked up a donor muffler today...its off of a Yamaha R6 8) The thing is in mint condition... :-\ well almost ;) Spent all of $25.00 :o It was the last of two part's the guy had left, after selling his ride... :( His loss my gain... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

jasonm.

Be nice to see that R6 pipe set up.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

mdskinner731

theres 2 kinds of loud exhaust on vehicles motorcycle four wheelers ect.. for example.. on my uncles 2003 kawasaki zx6r.. his aftermarket exhaust.. (dunno what it is) is loud and obnoxious.. and annoying..
then theres the nice low sounding loud rumble that makes your heart skip a beat just hearing it.. i like that!!!
kinda like tigers orange vision ;D
"he who has the most toys when they die, wins..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
if it moves and its not supposed to-duct tape
if it dont move and its supposed to- wd-40
Redneck Law

jasonm.

I don't think I saw anyone mention the name of the tunable baffles...Supertrapp is the name. They offer many universal options. Not cheap either. But they are stainless. The thing with this exhaust...the stock mufflers start out 2.5" o.d. I have been toying with cutting off the rotted mufflers on my spare and welding new pipe on. Then supetrapps on each side. I have a write up on it from years ago. But each supertrapp is ~ $150. So x2 is $300..ouch

Tiger

Quote from: mdskinner731 on December 02, 2007, 09:50:34 PM
...kinda like tigers orange vision ;D

:) Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrowl baby, growl... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Tiger

Night Vision

;D

jasonm.

NV. that is Supertrapp. I just would go with a universal unit. They make 3 types...3" disc, 4" disc short body~12" and 4" disc long body~16".   Supertrapps are truly tuneable.

inanecathode

Does anyone know for sure if the rear Y pipe will bolt to the front cylinder? I heard one yes already just making sure.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

You could do it, but plan on welding the whole thing together..
I sold the  exhaust system from the Vision racer to Blake , 4 or 5 years ago , it used a rear Y pipe to siamese the two ports in to one pipe. the angle was a bit wrong but it worked . The thing was so loud  that  it made MACs sound posativly quiet . I seem to remember he was shattering windows near his apartment! ;D I have pics of the system .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Night Vision

Quote from: Rick G on December 15, 2007, 12:35:34 AM

....... the angle was a bit wrong but it worked.....

that's what I saw when I held a Y up next to the front cylinder. the angle of the Y makes it extend quite far forward, not terribly far from the fender, and points straight down.

there wouldn't be a whole lot of ground clearance after an immeditate 90, and there would be a consideral gap before it got back to the engine case. eyeballing it, seems like it would be half way between the fender and the engine case and pretty low to the ground
;D

Rick G

I'd be pleased to post the pictures of the Vision racer, but I have no idea how to do it . I can ,how ever attach them to an email . Is anyone interested in posting them if I email them to you?
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Extent

I can host them for you, email is in my profile.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

supervision

" border="0