News:

Main Menu

XZ400

Started by gregs656, December 08, 2007, 11:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

Gregs, its like any old bike , someone has gotten a lot of the"good" out of it . Your going to to have to put the "good" back in. when you do it will be very reliable.  Mine is and I ride on hiways that cross the Mojave desert , where cell phone service is spotty and civilization nonexsistant. Its never let me down!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

gregs656

having owned old bikes in far worse condition than mine, i think i should be able to cope ok!

I will do the carbs asap. That YICS box must have some decent chrome on it, its still mint after all these years. Shame the same can't be said more often!

kiwibum

I've just upgraded from my 400 to the 550, there is a real difference in power there, then my 400 might be getting a little tired. The 400 is great round town and short trips but I found it a little lacking for touring specially two up. I've just come back from a two week tour round the south Island of New Zealand, did 3600km (2200ml) on it loaded with two up and had a fantastic time, ran sweet the whole way, fork seals started leaking and have an oil leak bottom LHS crank case cover (probably where the cables come out). Not bad really since I only had the bike a week before we left, then I did spend the whole week, putting in my good stator, cleaning carbs etc to make sure all was well for the trip. I got a spare 550 with this one so I'm going to be selling my 400's (two road registered ones away, going to keep the spare ones) as I much prefer the power of the 550.  The 400 is quite a heavy bike for it's size, everyone that sees it thinks it's a 600 or bigger.

Those mileage figures are interesting. I averaged 41mpg (UK gallon) or 15km/lt for you metric guys. Then we were averaging 100km/h (60mph). I'm heading round the North Island now for 2000km and hope to get better mileage with more aerodynamic luggage (we wont have it sticking so far out the sides).

sorry got off topic a bit. 400 is a great bike, little heavy I think for the power, still a lot of fun to ride though. Has same problems as the 550.  Let me know if you have any specific questions on them, I have 4 sitting in my garage:-). Your 400 looks in great condition, wish mine looked as good.

gregs656

impressive, that's a lotta miles on a 400 - two up as well!

Hopefully my insurance company will get back to me today, as the bike is not currently on their database. If i have to take out another policy on it, i will more than likely keep it for the year.

i will keep your offer of help in mind 

gregs656

They have just got back to me, and i have given them the bikes details, should be able to sort it out sooner rather than later then.

kiwibum

Quote from: gregs656 on December 10, 2007, 05:10:39 AM
impressive, that's a lotta miles on a 400 - two up as well!

Sorry I've confused you, that was on the 550 I just got (not the 400). I've done about 6000km over the year on the 400. I was going to do the South Island trip on the 400 but luckily managed to find the 550 in time, I think it would have been hard work on the 400 two up with all our gear.

gregs656

Gotta agree with you on that one, i think you might have got bored.

I just insured the XZ, cost be 13 pounds to change my policy from the 125. that is f***ing impressive for my age, im very very impressed.

gregs656

first impressions, what an easy bike to ride!

second impressions why the hell wont it start. damn.

i'll update this in about a half hour, i have to eat, one thing; the suspension, is it air?

update - right, picture this, i arrive home after my half hour ride from picking it up, it's bubbling away nicely and i'm dead pleased with my purchase, decide to ride over to a friend of mine who also rides bikes (we got into it at the same time) turn the bike around (they're heavy, aint they!) and set off, promptly stalling it, oops.

I notice for the first time that the oil (pressure i presume) light is on, but i suspect this is a passive safety device, it's on with the ignition so you know it's working. it switches off once the bike starts. start her up again, she's abit hesitant, but i put this down to me. Off i go again, down the road in 2nd gear at 3k revs, thinking how annoying this will be to the neighbours at 8am . . . o well.

Get maybe half a mile down the road, pull up at a junction and it dies, first thought was the battery, but it's turning over fine. I wonder if i may have flooded it, but i'm not sure. Walk it home (really really heavy aint it ha) get into the garage and decide to check it over, open the seat and there is a wire from the fuse box that has worked it's way free of it's crimp, replace that.

Put the battery on charge and notice the pet cock is on prime . . . can someone enlighten me as to what this means? switch it to 'on' but still no joy.

Personally, i wonder if the carbs are just a little bunged up it's been stood for a little while, long enough for the jets to gunk up abit anyway. Are the carbs on these easy to dismantle?

Thanks for reading, i may have rambled a touch there . .

YellowJacket!

Carb cleaning..NOT a shot of spray can carb cleaner but a full disassembly and dunking, is a mandatory must do for these bikes.  If done properly, it is well worth the time and effort.  Carb bung is a common occurence on V's that have sat for a long time.

Prime is a setting to fill the carb bowls with gas.  It bypasses the vacuum valve that opens the petcock when it is set on run and the bike is running.  Your normal petcock setting should be on run. 
if your bike runs good for a bit then stalls, it may be as simple as the vent hole in the gas cap being plugged.  Next time it happpens, loosen the gas cap and let some air in then prime the carbs.  If the bike starts, you need to clean your gas cap.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

gregs656

so to start these bikes i need to be on prime?

i did like, half an hours ride at ~60mph with it on prime, seems like a long way for the wrong setting.

inanecathode

half choke, two twists of the throttle. That'll start it in any weather :)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

Use Prime if the bike has been sitting a day or two since the last time it ran.  Turn to Prime for 30 seconds, turn to Run & start the bike.  Run requires vacuum for the petcock to let the fuel flow.  Not a problem once the  bike is running - unless your vacuum hose leaks or is disconnected.

I've run a ways with the petcock set to Prime.  Not a big deal.  However, if you park with it set to Prime, you may find a crankcase full of gasoline if your needle / seat don't fully seal.

H2O

If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

gregs656

i still think it's the carbs then, it's turning ovver fine and you can hear it wants to start but probably not getting enough juice.

I think i will take them out and clean them tonight, it will be obvious if that is the problem.

Hopefully it wont take too long and i'll be able to use it tomorrow

XZv2

Clean these special carbs very thoroughly, Gregs. See the carb posts in this forum and see Lucky's site xz550.com: topic carb repair info, in that screen: carb cleaning). Best to dip the carbs.
The American riders use Berrymans , I use German stuff called WEMA (see my website topic WEMA carb cleaner). If they are 100% clean, add an in-line fuel filter, and synchronise the carbs.
In the RidersofVision website are instructions how to build your own tool.
However, I enjoy every time I use my synchronising tool I ordered years ago in the UK (see http://www.carbtune.com/index.html, use the tool for two-cylinder bikes). It is such a perfect tool, it works so nice and controllable, and, it gave such a big improvement in running, sweetness, starting, performance of every XZ engine. Highly recommended.
XZv2

Tiger

:) gregs...Set the system to PRIME for 20/30 second's, reset to prime.

Pull the gas tank and air box off...Now, with the aid of a flash light, look into the carb's and give the throttle a couple of twists...There is a brass nozzle on the top of each carb...are you getting gas flow into the carb(s) from these two ???

NO...Pull and clean the carb's completely...Strip 'n dip.

YES...as DaveTN posted, it could be that you have a gas cap problem. The gas cap has a cork gasket that degrades after all these year's and plug's the air vent. strip and clean...or get another cap, like I did ;)

Let the forum know what happen's...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

gregs656

ok, it runs. What it doesn't do is idle once warm.

Once warm, it will idle until i rev it let it go and it will just drop right down to 0 revs and stall. now, looking in my haynes im told there is no pilot adjustment on these bikes  :o so what am i to do?

by the way, who ever suggested the half choke and twist the throttle twice you were right!

XZv2

Gregs, only the US version of the XZ500 had the pilot screws capped off. Still below they are there.
Your 400 also has a pilot adjustment: see my website, topic: the pilot screw. The carbs of the 1982 Euro XZ550 and the XZ400 are the same, but the 400 has different jets.
Pilot Screw (PS) 3-1/2 +/- ½ turns out is the adjustment for the XZ400 (see my website, topic XZ400 for all 400 carb data).
Be careful when turning the srews in, only screw them in lightly, otherwise you may damage them, and from that point 3-4 full turns out.
XZv2

gregs656

o that's good news.

Question is, is that the problem? it's easy enough to test, i suppose.

Night Vision

Quote from: gregs656 on December 13, 2007, 12:44:32 PM

Once warm, it will idle until i rev it let it go and it will just drop right down to 0 revs and stall......so what am i to do?

there is a thumb screw (near the end of the throttle cable) to set the idle speed. you may just have to screw it in to increse your idle speed

Quote from: inanecathode on December 13, 2007, 03:04:03 AM

guess that makes two of you  ;) ... every V seems to have it's own starting routine.... and,  it may change throughout the seasons.... 1/2 choke x 2 twists =  nada 4 me
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

Quote from: Night Vision on December 13, 2007, 06:24:07 PM
Quote from: gregs656 on December 13, 2007, 12:44:32 PM

Once warm, it will idle until i rev it let it go and it will just drop right down to 0 revs and stall......so what am i to do?

there is a thumb screw (near the end of the throttle cable) to set the idle speed. you may just have to screw it in to increse your idle speed

Quote from: inanecathode on December 13, 2007, 03:04:03 AM

guess that makes two of you  ;) ... every V seems to have it's own starting routine.... and,  it may change throughout the seasons.... 1/2 choke x 2 twists =  nada 4 me

Well if your idle jet is plugged the idle speed adjustment wont help, just make it run funky ie really slow return to idle (dieing of course)
I'd just pull em off and dip them anyway, doesnt take too long, plus you'll feel the better for it knowing your circuits are probably clean.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.