News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

82 vs. 83 fork internals

Started by pullshocks, December 11, 2007, 12:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullshocks

OK, aside from the different brake mounts and the air caps, how different are the 2 forks?

Reason I ask is that at the motorcycle show I stopped at the Race Tech suspension booth.  I jokingly asked if they had any applications for the XZ550.  Much to my surprise, the guy was familiar with the bike and suggested I send the fork down for him to look at.   He said he would not charge me to look at it.  If there was something he could do to improve it, he'd let me know the cost, if not, he'd ship it back.

Being paranoid, I don't really want to let the 83 out of my site, but I do have an 82 I could send down and it wouldn't be the end of the world if it disappeared.

So, fork experts, is there any difference in the fork internals?

h2olawyer

The only internal difference I can think of is the stock spring.  My 82s looked just like the ones that came in the 83 forks I bought, but the Haynes manual has different lengths specified for determining when they should be replaced.  The threads on the 83 upper fork tubes start deeper down inside the tube as well.  83 air caps will work on 82 forks tubes, but 82 caps won't go on the 83's.

The damper rod & all the important internals are the same.  At least I used the internals from my 82 forks in the 83 lowers because I knew they were low mileage.  Everything fit with no rattles.

I would think any improvements made to an 82 fork internals should work fine on an 83 as well.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Extent

I think I remember from a while a go someone mentioned that Race Tech would be able to fit one of their cartridge emulators to our forks if someone would send in a set for them to prototype on.

As h2o says, nothing they'd be changing is different between the two years.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

QBS

pullshocks

OK, I will let you know what I find out.  It may be a while.

h2olawyer

Many of us are done riding for a few months, now anyway.  I've got 8 inches of snow in my yard at the moment & the side streets are still snowpacked.  Not supposed to see the 40s (F) again until Sunday.

Every time I go out to move snow around, I am sure happy I have the Toro 2 stage!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

Foot and a half! I win!
H2o you could probably ski in my driveway if you wanted to XD
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

kiwibum

FYI
The Yamaha RZ350 racetech cartridge fits the XZ forks (same diameter). I have a set I bought from Racetech last year, just haven't got round to fitting them due to studying and riding. The additional mods I want to do that the forks need but racetech guys probably wont do for you is:
- bore out the top of the fork stanchion (hope I spell that correct) and press in a longer bushing (original is only 1/2 inch wide),
- turn a recess in the bottom of the fork tube to take a nylon bush (this is what the RZ350's have).
This gives the fork far better support top and bottom of the sliders. I think with these mods, along with the racetech cartidges and a fork brace the XZ forks would be quite satisfactory for most riding. Now I've got a mill I'm going to look into doing these mods for my bikes with the aim to testing what the improvement in ride is and doing it for others if it turns out worth while. There is a pre 82' post classics class here in New Zealand now which I aim to test all modes on when I set up a bike for racing. All plans on hold for a year though since I've got a job (in Panama) and can make real money again:-).

Nice an sunny here, far too much UV, get burnt in less that 15 minutes!

VisionMeister

Supervision did a mod to install race tech gold valves on his. They were for a xs 650, but since the tubes are the same size they worked on the Vision.
Maybe he could elaborate the details.

supervision

Emulators go on top of the damper rods before the spring goes in.  They need to fit the diameter of the rod pretty well so that as little as possible leakage takes place. It is the spring pressing down that keeps the emulator in place. The emulator controls the oil flow of the compression damping.  The rods have to first be drilled to give enough free flowing oil on the compression stroke, so the emulators can be in control.   
            This picture shows one persons way of adapting the emulator to the damper. Also he chose to mill a long slot for his oil supply to the emulator.

" border="0

kwells

Supervision,
Did you use the Vision Fork Tubes or ones from another bike?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

supervision

Kevin, I used Vision forks totally, just drilled and adapted as needed.  That picture is not of my fork parts, just a picture, to make it easier to get the idea of what's involved.   The brass piece, with the spring, on the left, is all their is to the kit.  Their are some ports with a round spring steel washer that is held closed by the long bolt and coil spring.  As the fork compresses, the washer deflects and lets oil go past. By tightening the coil spring pressure, you increase compression damping.   Stock, the fork dampens, by pushing oil through a hole, and that hole is only ideal for one speed of fork travel.  This system allows, a small bleed at a low speed of fork travel, then can increase, oil flow, if a fast fork movement happens.  Modern forks do this, ours don't.  These work best with straight wound springs, not progressive. 
" border="0

kwells

are u running the stock springs...or an aftermarket increased spring rate?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

kiwibum

The racetech valves are very easy to fit, I have test fitted the one I have (for RZ350) and it's the perfect size no adapter required as shown in the photo (additional brass cylinder). Just need to drill the holes larger in the damping rod as NV says. Only reason I didn't fit them is I am selling the bike with the forks I had apart (XZ400, replaced leaking seals) and want to put them the 550 I'm now riding.

inanecathode

Which holes exactly do you have to enlargen?

How much are the emulators?

supervision

I forget exactly the size and #, but it is necessary to do the correct area of the damper so you don't affect the rebound.  seems like they say six holes about 3/16.   retail 150     see the slot the person did in the picture, that would work fine, too.  the idea is, you need to be able to flow alot of oil to the emulator with no restriction.
" border="0

Extent

Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.

inanecathode

So basically you enlargen the holes to flow oil into the emulator instead of letting the damping rod dampen, you let the emulator do it?

Cdnlouie

Supervision, it would be very nice to have some specific info on the right valve emulator for the Vision.  That would be a terrific upgrade and not very difficult at all.

Good job on that one,

CDNL

Extent

Quote from: inanecathode on January 11, 2008, 12:49:47 AM
So basically you enlargen the holes to flow oil into the emulator instead of letting the damping rod dampen, you let the emulator do it?

exactly