News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

starter clutch adventures

Started by tben, December 11, 2007, 05:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tben

So as I was struggling to get my V started I noticed that every 4th time or so that I would hit the start it would not engage. The motor would wind up but the engine did not turn over. I figured I'd better have a look inside at those starter clutch bolts everyone talks about. Good thing I did. Two of them are completely sheered off and the third is stretched and worn nearly to the breaking point. The clutch looks OK. There is a little damage but not enough to concern me and nothing that should cause a problem as long as there are solid bolts in place.
Where is a good place to look for 12.9 grade bolts? Thats what was in there so I don't want to downgrade as I fix this. I checked my local hardware store and they top out at 11.xx.

P.S. if this motivates you to do your own starter cluch then awsome. First though, read all the guides online (http://www.xz550.com/starterclutch.html), second be sure to place a rag underneath the flywheel as you pull it of (when it pops, springs and rollers go everywhere!) and third I rented a high quality Harmonic Balancer Puller from Shucks for $6 with an $80 refundable deposit. I had to pick up one more screw (90mm x 8x1.25) as they only provide 2 of the three you need, go figure, but it worked like a charm and since this is the one and only time I'll be doing this (fingers crossed) $6 was a hell of a deal.
Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

Tiger

:) I've done three starter clutch fixes, (on three seperate "V"s)... ;) I have got it down to under 2 hour's to complete...not a hard job as such. You just have to make sure that you have all you need ready...Tool's, gasket, Red thread locker, an old bath towel/folded sheet to put under the engine...stops parts rolling away into the dark corners of your work area :D :D ;), oil/oil filter, etc...NOTE: DO NOT FORGET to make a rough template of the left side cover, (cereal box, sheet cardboard, etc), punch out the bolt hole's and insert each bolt that you remove into the hole's...that way you return the right size bolt back to its right place ;)

The three metric hex socket cap screw's that you need should be available at Home Depot/Lowe's, etc... If not, try an industrial supplier...check under Fasteners-Industrial in your yellow page's.

:) Have fun... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

one difficulty doing the starter clutch bolts is the length of the bolts themselves...

you can easily get the same length that were in there..... but you want a 1 or 2 mm longer bolt...
they usually come in 5mm increments. This means you need to get longer than stock bolts, grind or hacksaw them down to length and then crosscut with a dremel so you can take a punch to the "X" and peen them out... don't forget to put a chaser nut on the bolts before cutting  to clean up the threads, and of course use the red glue.

When Don V was getting ready for the CO ride, I sent him a set that I had already made for my project bike..he was getting ripped off for metric bolts from wherever. Well he needed the metric bolts for the puller too.....

I think the bolts were right around $0.33ea plus the labor which was right around 3 beers.... hey, I took my time and did a nice job :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

Be sure to very carfully inspect the clutch housing for cracks and the rollers for flat spots.  Cracked housings will slip, for sure.

tben

I've no problem with cutting the bolts down, I have a dremel and a bench grinder.

QBS: My clutch housing is cracked at one of three holes around the side, and it slips about 1/16 of a turn around the piece that is bolted to the flywheel. Is this a problem?
Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

QBS

Bad news, yes.  Some have had success with welding their cracks.  Most have not.  Only other alternative is an uncracked replacement, which is what I would do in this situation.  I think clutch housings are still dealer available.  But I would try to find used.

If caught before 25k miles, loose starter clutches rarely have cracked housings.

Aelwulf

*sigh* Think another example of me doing things the hard way.  I ordered replacement stock ones for the clutch bolts, guessing might as well toss 'em if everyone's getting the non-stock?  I finally got a puller, bought the Craftsman one linked in one of the other threads.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

h2olawyer

The whole point of the fix is to install slightly longer than stock bolts.  The problem of them coming loose is caused by the originals being a couple threads too short to be adequately peened.

Sorry you ordered the OEM bolts -- at least you have an unmolested bolt to use as a model & cut the new ones you get from the hardware store @ 2 or 3 threads longer.  Hope they weren't too expensive!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Aelwulf

NAw, coupla bucks each.  I thought the problem was just them working out period, and peening was just a staple of the fix. :( Ah well, should help having an example when going down to NAPA or Fastenal as well.

*thunk*
What was that?!

tben

I'm having trouble finding a replacement gasket. Are they still available? If not, what do you guys do? I am considering finding gasket material and cutting  my own or using liquid gasket, I have some already but the shop guy I always talk to was hesitant about advising that because the liquid stuff can get into oil pathways and block the flow.
-Joseph Addison

67GTO

Can you post the size of the bolts you find and their hardness? Also where you found them?

(I need to do this job yet :))
" Like a dream he flies away, no more to be found,
banished like a Vision of the night."
                                                Job 20:8    NIV

Rick G

Tben,ysppart.com seem to have them for 7.45 . if not I'll make you one I ahve all the punches and the pattern to make it from. Stay away from gasket goop, it can end up in oil passage ways .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

pullshocks

I made my own from sheet gasket material from Schucks.  It sealed up just fine, but was a long and nerve wracking process to cut it out accurately, especially the bolt holes.  One slip of the knife and all your work is toast.  I have one of the cometic gaskets on hand and I can trace it onto the Schucks gasket material for you, but my advice is wait the extra week or 2 and order from YSPPART or Cometic.

Also, get a bunch of long m6 bolts, cut the heads off and screw them in to the block finger tight to hold the gasket in alignment and guide the side cover into place.  Once the cover is lined up, start swapping in the real bolts.

Walt_M.

I wonder how many besides me are saying, 'doh' and hitting themselves in the forehead over the long bolt idea? FWIW, I used red permatex gasket 4 yrs ago when I last had my side cover off. The idea is to use a very thin bead, use too much and it can block the oil passages.
Whale oil beef hooked!

tben

Thanks guys, I think I'll go to Schucks tomorrow and try my hand at gasket making.

Pullshocks: thanks for the tip with the screws, thats a great idea.

67GTO: as I keep going I'll post what I found works.

Rick G: what kind of punches do you use?
-Joseph Addison

don_vanecek

And don't get fooled like I did where I put the flywheel back on and it turned out the bolt was not screwed in all the way!  I still wonder what I did wrong-and it still scares me that the threads are damaged.  Just a refresher, I did the starter clutch this spring, that center bolt screwed on very tight-thought I had it on all the way-go to start the engine, terrible noise-take the side cover back off-did several more turns of the screw-turned very hard. I wonder if the threads were damaged by the sacrificial bolt??

Anyway, it has held up now for several thousand miles since then.

Aelwulf

I've caught several references to this sacrificial bolt, should we get four or is that something with the puller?

*thunk*
What was that?!

QBS

Pullshocks: Great tip.  Thanks.

don_vanecek

I believe (someone correct me if I have this wrong) but the sacrificail bolt is mainly to keep the puller from going down into your crank.

Tiger

Quote from: don_vanecek on December 12, 2007, 05:50:03 PM
I believe (someone correct me if I have this wrong) but the sacrificail bolt is mainly to keep the puller from going down into your crank.
:) Curlyrect Don... ;)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!