News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Rusteco

Started by Rick G, November 07, 2007, 01:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

During my visit to the XL350  forum that they have an alternative gas tank repair "coating"  Take a look at this ! We may have been on the wrong track all along .  www.rusteco.comwww.rusteco.com Well  I tried , who knows it may work!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Aelwulf

Long Beach eh?  Maybe I'll have to take a trip sometime soon with my two.  If it works as claimed all they should need after is a bit of JB Weld and the occasional gas treatment (would have to ask them if that affects their 'primer' coat). :D If I do before anyone else orders the 5-gallon drum (y'know ya want to ;) ) I'll let ya's know how it goes.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

gph

You might also check out The Rust Company http://www.theruststore.com/Evapo-Rust-C21.aspx[/b]. Thestuff is less expensive than Resteco. I am ordering 5 gallons as I worry about the muric acid route with a tank that has a good paint job. I'll let you know.

Aelwulf

Any word on the Rust Store one?  I found another thread in here that stated Rusteco didn't work too well as it left a residue although the site claims otherwise, but since I'll be down that way in a couple of weeks figured I'd bring a tank or two down and talk to 'em at least.

*thunk*
What was that?!

Rick G

After talking to those on another site , they swear by Rusteco . He was doing old Triumph tanks , that did not have a rusted through problem . It leaves a coating that prevents further rust , according to them.
He said that when he has a  pin hole, he tins the affected area and solders a piece of brass shim stock over the area. I'm not sure Rusteco is a viable alternative on tanks as rust hole prone and as thin as the Vision.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Cdnlouie

That is an interesting site Rick! It looks like that treatment would be great for a good tank that has a light degree of rust, restoring it and protecting it for the future.  It sounds like a good product, but certainly not cheap, a few buddies would need to get together to share the cost.

CDNL   

Aelwulf

Yeah, they say they don't fix holes but for a bit extrathey'll remove old liner along with the rust (or at least try to).  My 'backup' one hopefully just has the one leak so they could take care of it then I could JB Weld the hole.  My other one has two that I know of, but hopefully not big enough to make it matter.  Only getting the rust out will tell. :-\

*thunk*
What was that?!