News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Is mine an 83?

Started by worldrider555, December 25, 2007, 05:44:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

worldrider555

Hi all, I bought my vision a few months ago and was just reading on wikipedia that only the 83's have air adjustable suspension.  From what I understand my vision is an 82 but it has the air adjustments, but it does not have a dual disk setup in the front brakes.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

h2olawyer

Air adjustable forks is a pretty easy aftermarket upgrade.  It is possible that a previous owner added some air valves to the forks.  The single disc front maakes it more likely an 82.  Look at the tag on the steering neck.  There will be a month & year of manufacture.  Made in 81 & early 82, it's an 82.

Other clues that it is an 83:

140 MPH speedo
Fuel gauge
Black & Gold color scheme with gold wheels
Full fairing
Rear shock adjustable for both damping & rebound (not air)
Short handlebar risers
Rider pegs located a bit farther rearward with shorter brake pedal & longer shifter linkage

There are more differences, but those are the main outward, easy to spot items.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

couple more 83's have:
black swing arm
black fork lowers
black stripes on footpeg bracket
smooth tail section, not stippled
toe extention on the center stand
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:) The '83 also has a different gas cap, a larger petcock, most of the wiring is housed in a rubber bag out-side of the headlight bucket, upgraded carb's... :-\

A picture of your Vision would help us indentify her for you... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)                   
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!