News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

YICS repairs

Started by tben, December 26, 2007, 10:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tben

My bike has been running for a couple of days now but it would not return to idle after warming up. It just rev'd perpetually at 3-4k rpm. I removed my YICS and this solved the problem i.e. vacuum leak. My question now is how do I repair this thing? I have tried once. I cut it in half with a razor, filled the groove and any holes on the rim with JB weld, sanded both sides flat and smooth, coated both sides with Red RTV and put a gasket between them. It was sealed when I tested it before putting it on the bike. Now, it looks like the pressure from the engine has pushed a bunch of the RTV out of the seam. How can I keep this from happening again?
Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

tben

thanks Kwells,

I've read both of those, my only problem is the Red RTV not bonding to the repair so it got spit out by the pressure. I was just wondering how to fix this. I think I'll try "The Right Stuff" that Permatex makes.
Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

Tiger

:) You have to make sure both sides are clean...use a solvent like brake and part's cleaner...apply Red RTV, put the two pieces together and clamp together, or, lay on a flat surface and put a book on top...Leave for 24 hour's in a warm area to cure before installing on the Vision.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

tben

I used mineral spirits to clean it, not brake cleaner. maybe thats my problem. ???  Other than that I did just what you wrote.
-Joseph Addison

kwells

mineral spirits will actually ADD oil
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

I use RTV for very little. In engines its a liability . As far as the Yiks box is concerned, I use no gasket , I did on the  first couple , but decieded it wasen't necessary . I get them smooth on a piece of sandpaper, taped to piece of plate glass or masionite. sanding them in a figure 8  pattern. When I'm satisfied with the fit of the two halves togeather, I apply a thin coat of Yamabond / Hondabond / 3 bond , your choice there all the same . Reassemble the box and allow to dry over night.
Mine's been together for 5 years and has caused no trouble.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jasonm.

Yes YAMABOND 4. never heard of #3. Or use JB- qwik weld. Either way the box held together with the stock screws to help things seal.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Rick G

Jason , I wasn't refering to Yamabond as # 3 I was refering to 3bond brand of  sealer . I've heard that 3bond makes the stuff for Honda and Yamaha.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

Threebond 1104 is all I've ever been able to locate around here.  Honda & Yamaha dealers here don't carry their #4 product in stock, but can order it.  (If the EPA hasn't made them stop production / import yet).

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Glyn

Or you could use that time to fabricate a metal YICS chamber, like many have done on the site. No future cracking problems.

tben

Wouldn't that be nice, but it takes tools I don't have access to and skills I've never learned. ::)
-Joseph Addison

YellowJacket!

Speaking of YICS Fix, Lucky, your YICS is now sealed up tight.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

I've got 5 years & 10,000 miles on my repaired one (so far)!  If you really take your time to do it right, the repair should last a good, long time.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Rick G

I repaired mine in 2002 or 03  and its never given any further problem.
Rick G

Cdnlouie

I prefer to coat both halves (properly cleaned and squared off with sandpaper so surfaces mate well) with J.B. weld and then forget about it forever.  I have 20,000 kms. and 7 years on this repair, rock solid.  There is no need to ever want to take them apart again.  Coat the JB weld down into the inside with a light layer and then on the outside as well, smoothing it all off like the original (insurance).

Keep it as simple as possible and you improve your odds of success,

:( Please note: I may have spoken too soon.  Aug 08 discovered JB epoxy has burned through  :-X.  At least as good as the original, but not good enough!  So I would recommend one of the other techniques, this time I went to the gasket.

inanecathode

If you're using permatex, let it cure a long long time. It wont be squeezed out if it's cured. If its not it'll flow all over.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

tben

Funny this should be brought up today cause I was just about to do it myself. I have twice used permatex, Red then Black. Both times sanding very carefully and this last time cleaning everything with brake fluid. Both times my seal has failed between the chambers after about 30 min of running.
I want this to work! For both of those runnings the bike ran better than it did with the connections just plugged of at the engine.

Cdnlouie: JB weld is my next bet. Thanks for the tip

Inane: I let it cure for over 24 hours in my house at 70ish degrees. Could it possibly need more than that?
-Joseph Addison

inanecathode

That should be enough.
The reason it failed the second time is because you used brake fluid :P brake fluid is glycol = oil. Use brake kleen, xylene should fix you up good.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

tben

;D ;D ;D ;D. you caught my typo. I meant Brake Cleaner that sprays from a can and evaporates almost immediately. I may be new to this but I'm not that new. ;)
-Joseph Addison