Would you guys do a pre-emptive stator change before a long trip?

Started by kwells, December 27, 2007, 02:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you guys do a pre-emptive stator change before a long trip?

YES
1 (4%)
NO
14 (56%)
Would just have one on hand
10 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 25

kwells

Found an oil leak and will be cracking the case this winter...currently about 5300 miles
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

joevacc

I am getting more than 10,000 miles out my stators. Don't fix it if it's not broken.  It sure will be a good time to carefully inspect it all in there...  Clean all of the electrical connectors and coat them with a good anti oxidant.  Others will have more advice on what good and bad stators look like.

Ciao for now,
JV
-=[Joe Vacc]=-
"The most pathetic person in the world is someone who has sight, but has no vision."
Helen Keller

Extent

I put in for have one on hand, but really only if you actually believe that it's on the way out.  I've never gone so far as to have a spare, even when going on long trips.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Tiger

:) I would normally say no...However, if your going to open her up on the left side, clean and inspect, if your not 100% sure, install another one and keep the used one for an emergency ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Walt_M.

What Tiger said, BUT the only stator I would consider for replacement of a functioning one is the improved insulation OEM version. One of our Canadian members put nearly 80K Km on one of the improved models a few years ago and it was still going when his crankshaft went out. Hard to argue with success.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Night Vision

I would have one on hand and plan my route near those member pins on the map  ;) nice excuse to drop by and meet some members  :D

if you have three Visions.... you should already have a spare stator anyway... so when you open the case you can decide to replace or not...

you'll have a gut feeling how long the one in there will last by the looks of it..... black and puffy / insulation touching.... you'll know what to do. 
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

If you had my luck with stators, you wouldn't even ask the question!  However, like others said, see what it looks like & have a spare on hand just in case.  Always nice to have a spare stator on hand - especially if you have more than one road worthy V!   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

George R. Young

I never replaced one on the road, but I did start carrying a spare stator. I think if you lean the offending Vision up against a tree, you can change the stator with a rock and an impact driver without draining the oil.

And by the way, to monitor the stator output if you don't have a voltmeter, just toot the horn every now and then. I found that it was one of the first things to stop working when the charging system went south. The random tooting gets some weird looks from other drivers though.

supervision

You know that horn has to get full voltage, or it starts buzzing, instead of beeping.  That's my indacator too.
" border="0

supervision

If I take a long trip, I'll bring the pick-up with.  A spare stator along, I sure wouldn't mind changing it, to get back to traveling
" border="0

YellowJacket!

I would bring one along just in case.
Stator gremlins are going to strike whenever they want to, so a preemptive stator change will just result in a burnt up new stator.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

jasonm.

I bought mine with 12k on it. I believe mine has the original stator. And at ~28k miles, I would appear to be a lucky person. But I have had the cover off a few times for the shifter seal, etc. My stator is BLACK as tar and been that way since the 1st time the cover was off. I have 2 spares and won't change it till it goes bad. Mostly because there are other reasons for taking that cover off(balancer gears, etc) and I like to do things for obvious reasons...aka "must do".  I will need to change the starter clutch gear and rollers on mine. So when the stator does go bad I will do this as well.   I don't have a guage, but do have  an LED indicator on my dash I made that lights  up green at anything above 14 volts. Which is where these should be when running above 2000rpm. I glance at it after start up(should be on even at idle w/brakes off) and randomly when riding. If it goes out...I go home... fast.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Kenny

Fix the oil leak- have a quick look around,give the stator a big kiss & put the cover back on. ;)  Remember this machine is 25 plus years old & once you start second guessing you'll end up changing everything. Keep an eye on the Voltmeter & you have a good idea of the charging system's health.
   I don't take one with me, I believe I can get by ok if I have a failure by unplugging the headlight and driving in the daylight & topping the Battery up with a Solar charger or using a plug in unit on my overnight stays.
              Just my opinion , 2cents ect...
                      Cheers Ken S. :)

2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

kwells

will be adding a voltometer this winter so I'll have a heads up on what's going on.....

the oil leak will prob just get some yamabond
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Cdnlouie

FYI: I keep my spare stator boxed up and ready to mail, so when I leave on a long trip I leave the box with my neighbour who can ship it out "el-quicko" should the need arise. To be fair, I do the same for my other bike. I can always lay over long enough to get the spare stator and then I just forget about it.

Don't be disturbed if you find yourself laying awake at night with one eye open, its the one that watches the voltmeter.

Happy New Year Fellows!

louthepou

(Sing along)

If the stator's a chargin', there's no point in changin'...

(But I'd bring a multimetre along, maybe a spare stator if yours is just borderline charging, make sure all connections are perfectly clean, reposition the RR...)

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

tben

Three grand essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
-Joseph Addison

Tiger

Quote from: tben on January 04, 2008, 12:52:32 PM
Quote from: louthepou on January 04, 2008, 07:57:09 AM
reposition the RR...
Lou

Where do you put it?
;D I had to think about this responce :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D...However, we normally make/buy a bracket so that the R/R can be attached to the rear left foot rest bolt or the bolt that holds the inner fender to the frame. This helps keep the R/R cooled...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

louthepou

Quote from: tben on January 04, 2008, 12:52:32 PM
Quote from: louthepou on January 04, 2008, 07:57:09 AM
reposition the RR...
Lou

Where do you put it?

Here's where I put one of mine:

The bracket is bolted to the RR with two bolts, and its shape extends behind the large aluminum "part" to one frame bolt towards the front, and to the rear footpeg bolt to the rear. I mad that one from some sheet metal (not too thick, not too thin) with my grinder and painted it with Tremclad. Soldered wires so the RR would reack this place.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

QBS

Lou, that foot peg casting vibrates alot at speed.  Check for metal fatigue in your RR mounting bracketry often.