News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Other Interests

Started by Aelwulf, January 03, 2008, 01:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aelwulf

Some of the folks over on another board were evil and got my curiosity up about the Triumph site.  Now along with the '07 Kawi Mean Streak SE I now have these in my wannabe barn:

2008 Triumph America (black & one of the reds)

2008 Triumph Daytona 675 Special Edition

2008 Triumph Scrambler

All the Triumphs are chain-driven but ah well. lol I don't actually have experience with chain bikes to not like 'em, it's just everyone I've known who has one tends to complain about chain grease/lube/whatever all over things.  The first and last also aren't likely to win any muscle competitions at but 800+ccs they should do plenty well enough. :) They'd be something different, and the Scrambler looks about like a dual sport of sorts.

Ah, such fun to be out riding...
*thunk*
What was that?!

'82 Yamaha Vision XZ550RJ
'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Mean Streak Special Edition (VN1600B)

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

YellowJacket!

I want a Meanie BAAAADDD.  ;D

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Kevin

Rick G

The Bonniville America dosn't do much for me ,  BUT the Scrambler  or the Bonniville Thruxton  only await  my  2nd ship comming in (the first one obviously has sunk) 
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

louthepou

Thruxton: I loooooove that bike. I wish I could sue Triumph for stealing my Vision's design though.

;D

Re. chain drive: The only advantages for it are: lighter un-suspended weight (so better, quicker reaction from the rear shock), and easier to change the final drive ratio. Those become only significant on the race track... So having a chain on a street bike...  ???

My humble opinion...  ;)

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

inanecathode

Servicability as well. A catastrophic failure with a chain is easily fixable. Finding a driveshaft whilst on the road is an adventure of its own i'd imagine :o
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

Triumph makes some great rides.  The Speed Triple looks pretty cool, the Thruxton is awesome, but the Scrambler is really growing on me.

As for repairs of catastrophic chain failure, it depends on how much other damage the slung chain does.   ::)  At least the shaft drive on the Vs is not a problem area.  They seem to be nearly bulletproof.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

inanecathode

They sure are, i dont think i've read of one drive shaft failure.

Rick G

If you keep oil in the rear gear box , your not going to have a "shaft failure"

If you don't maintain your chain and sprockets, or use them far beyond the service linits , catastrophic is far to mild a term to use . When a chain wads up in the countershaft sprocket cavity , usually, the engine is stove in  and there can be gear box damage. Oil shoots all over the place! Occasionally the chain will try to remove the leg of the rider , on the way by, or at least open it up and cause a massive infection.

In my younger years,  I was involved in repair of several CB750 Hondas, which had suffered a "catastrophiic " chain failure. Aside from a complete engine tear down , the services of a expert welder and a machine shop are needed, to return them to service.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kwells

I got about 24k out of my Sprint chain....I've had it for the last 13k and have kept wax on it.  Cleaned occasionally with kerosene completely but otherwise just used and abused.  Will be replacing this winter tho.  The last track day finished her off.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

I'm using Artic Cat chain lube , on the XL350. Its  a graphite lube . Its compatable with O ring chains and dosen't attract sand or dirt . Years ago I used  a foaming , spray chain  lube  (can recall the name)  removed the chain every week and  washed it in the gunk tank  , to get the sand out.
Rick G

kwells

Quoteremoved the chain every week and  washed it in the gunk tank

now that's devotion

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

Kwells , we all did that , we would work on our dirt bikes every monday . The shop was open,  but it was the wrench's day off . so we would go out to the desert every sunday and thrash our bikes and spend monday getting them ready  for the next week. Chains were not as good as now and  until Dryslide came along (which was similar to Artic Cats lube )  we had to use gooy stuff which mixed with the sand and made laping compound. We sold a LOT of chains and sprockets. ;D
Rick G

louthepou

That's my point. Driveshaft: change the oil once a year - ride it forever.

Plus, there's a conical gear of some sort in there which looks a lot better than a sprocket, purely from an aestetical point of view.

(what the heck's wrong with me)

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Tiger

Quote from: louthepou on January 06, 2008, 07:17:00 AM

(what the heck's wrong with me)
Lou

:o CABIN FEVER :o ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

inanecathode

That and the shaft/final drive assembly weighs a freaking tonne

Rick G

Sure,their heavier than  a chain  and sprockets, but figure the cost of a good o ring chain and sprockets  over the years  and  look how much you have saved !  A shaft is a  given on any road bike I buy ,I don't wan't any chains or belts.On a dirt bike you just have to live with it.
Rick G

Night Vision

Quote from: inanecathode on January 06, 2008, 11:19:12 PM
That and the shaft/final drive assembly weighs a freaking tonne

only half of it weighs a tonne, the other half of the tonne acts as half of the swingarm....

what's up with the weight phobia? since you aren't packin 20 extra pounds like most of us, you should already have a weight advantage  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Kenny

;D  Yup & while your doin your "chain chores"   I'll be on my fourth beer or so...
                         Cheers!! Ken S. ;D 
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92