Taps.......Thanks

Started by Back_in_the_Saddle, July 26, 2004, 12:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back_in_the_Saddle

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Well, it's official, this baby is dead. As often happens with illness, you get better just before you go. Although I got it to run, once it ran, it was diagnosed by a competent mechanic that the valves are shot. I know about the knocking fixes, they have been done. I think we've done everything we can do. I just want to make sure she's an organ donor.

See parts forum.

I want to sincerely thank everyone on the forum for their assistance with this project. I truly hate to give it up but this is the final shot for me. You guys were awesome and made me feel confident about tearing into this thing. We did get it to run. What a feeling! Lucky, H20, and anyone else who contributed, I truly thank you for your help, quick wit, and the time I know it takes to reply to all these questions. I have to say Lucky, I thought you were an old fart, grey hair, not much to do. Your picture shocked the hell out me. You truly are devoted and I think that the people on this forum understand that your time devoted is precious, even if you were an old fart.

Thanks again all. Big time.

Superfly

Dont give up!!! Check the message on the Swap Shop!!!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

nvdranger

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!  Say it ain't so B.I.T.S. :'(  You've come to far to give up now, dont let the frustration take over.  If you can afford it/have the time take the motor from SuperFly.  If not, its been real nice to have someone in my situation (non running v and wanting to follow tizod wtih his new bike lol) just behind me pushing me along to get this damn thing figured out.  
Good luck wherever you future takes you and let us know  when you get another bike.  

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

Lucky

I have heads you can have for the price of shipping. their missing the shims, but otherwise complete.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

nvdranger

see b.i.t.s. no reason to give up now ;) heads from lucky plus more learning ;D speaking of which i need to check my valves b/c with 22K i know they've never been touched.

Ken
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

h2olawyer

B.I.T.S.-

I agree with the others - don't scrap it if you don't absolutely have to.  Especially one as nice looking as yours!  Take Lucky or Superfly up on their offer and get her on the road again!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

Anyway, As long as i've been here, i've NEVER, EVER heard of a Vision having top end problems. Rod bearings, Yes, but top end, No.

Besides, I seriously doubt that you will ever find a mechanic anywhere even remotely as familiar with these bike as we are!!

also, I didn't want to admit it, but if it will save a Vision... I've had a noise in my engine all season that I can't diagnose.  it's toward the middle of one of the cylinders as best as I can determine, but doesn't sound like a wrist pin or piston slap.  Performance on the bike is better than ever, & oil pressure is very good, so unless I grenade the engine, i'm no0t touching it. Even if I do grenade it, I allways know I can find one here if i need to.

Don't get a second opinion, They don't know the bike. these valve trains are noisy & whiny. Rick G describes it as: "A Hoover with a head cold" so poss what your hearing is normal.

Reconsider & keep going!! you'll never find another bike like the Vision.

Rah! Rah! Rah! mode off.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

wolfman

Speaking as one who has rebuilt more than his fair share of engines from single cylinder aircooled bikes to V-8 automobiles, a V twin with bad valves would be very unlikely to run at all more or less poorly. ?As Lucky has said, few know (myself included) these particular bikes as well as those on this forum. ?Before scrapping her, some cheap and easy diagnositic work and at the very LEAST a second opinion is called for. ?I believe a "competant mechanic" also told you the engine was toast and would never run not too long ago...

nvdranger

Where is B.I.T.S. at?  Hopefully he hasn't got rid of it yet b/c that would be bad.  
Wolf what cheap and easy diagnostic work are you referring to?  I will be tearing into my valves soon since I dont believe they have ever been touch.  I would like to find out if I should do it now or if it can hold off til winter.  Not being familar with valve problems I dont know what to look for.

Thanks
Ken

wolfman

Well in his case start with the easy basics. ?A dry and wet compression check. ?If the compresion numbers dry are ok, no need to run the wet test, if they are low dry and the wet test does not make things improve, he's got valve or headgasket issues, if a wet test shows higher numbers, it's piston rings and the valves are fine. ?If compression checks out, the valves ARE sealing/seating fine. ?Then it is just a matter of pulling the valve covers and checking the cold clearances. ?If they are at spec (or can be shimmed back to spec) he has basically confirmed at that point without spending a dime (provided he can find someone to loan him a compresion tester) that there are no valve issues. ?Of note: You DO NOT need any "special tool" to CHECK the valve clearances on your "V" IF the clearances are out and you need to remove the shims to get the numbers and/or replace them, THEN you WILL need the "special tool" to compress the lifters and remove the shims.

h2olawyer

But - if you are checking the valve clearances & they are out of spec, you will wish you had the tool so you can change the shims rather than either waiting to find a tool or doing that job twice!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Back_in_the_Saddle

Wow!

You guys are truly awesome.
Your offers for assistance amaze me.  Your encouragement as well. I want to thank you all again.

Here's my deal. When I picked up the Vision, it was meant to be a project, and believe me, it was. And you guys made it possible and fun. Since that time, not to air my dirty laundry but my finances have gone to sh*t. I had to sell my beautiful red F150, and pick up something else. In addition, I can no longer keep the Vision as the cash it will provide will help me more than having the project. My project now is keeping my head above water.
Things should be much better in October but as it stands, I can't keep the vision. I've actually picked up another bike, a 2001 Kawasaki street bike. I drive to different locations daily for a living so I need something reliable. The Vision is currently far from that. I may have misquoted the "mechanic" about the valves. There is a terrible knocking and the engine is louder than living under the far end of a carrier runway. I did the starter clutch and the shaft nuts so it wasn't that. I believe there is something majorly wrong, and coupled with my current situation, I'm done.

So, thank you all for your help, time, laughs, and general good stuff. I anticipate that in the beginning of next year, I'll be able to get back into a project. Since I have a fair amount of experince with the Vision, and my desire to ride one remains intact, I hope to be back here with some more questions and hopefully, a running Vision.

Thanks again, good luck to you all and your families.

h2olawyer

B.I.T.S. -

Sorry to hear it's final - for now.  At least this one hasn't soured you on Visions or us!  ;D  Hopefully you'll keep tabs on what's happening here and can pick up a Vision when your wallet is a bit healthier.  Too bad - from what I could see in your photo, it is a good looking bike.  Really like the paint scheme.  I know you will get more for it in parts, but we all hate to see another one off the roads.  :(

What Kaw did you get?  I used to have a 1980 KDX175 that I liked a ton.  Off road only but it carried me through some great terrain, creeks, rivers and all over NW Colorado.  Taught me to ride sanely.  All it took was being stupid once - catching air off water bars on a fun forest road and saw the 90 degree turn below as I flew into the boulder field.   ::)  No major injuries, just a few bumps, bruises & a very scratched up helmet.  The bike wasn't hurt at all!  Sure was a tough machine.  Had to sell it  :( to get my V  :) but that was back in '84.

Hope to hear from you here again

nvdranger

well most of us understand the money situation, i've been spending my tuition $$ on this project and class starts in a few weeks...ooops :P, hey but i can save $$ in gas til winter starts.  hopefully you can get everything straightened and we can see you back around.  good luck.

Ken

Coil Coyle

Camtool Part Number: 35-3470
Brand: K&L
Name: VALVE SHIM TOOL:YAM XZ550

http://www.klsupply.com to find a dealer