Translation for Newbie needed

Started by dchakrab, April 23, 2005, 06:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchakrab

Ok, so based mostly on what I've read and been told in this forum, I sealed the deal yesterday and got a vision. It's sitting in my parking lot, waiting to be taxed, titled, and plated.

Here are the owner's notes:

He said to change the fluids on the bike...said I might change the spark plugs too, but they didn't seem to be a problem.

He didn't adjust the cam chains or valves, since he didn't have a manual. He said there's a slight rumbling sound at idle, possibly from a loose cam chain, which I should adjust...but some bikes need this done with the engine running, and some with it stopped with the piston in a certain position, etc.

He also said about the valves: "If they are the
shim-under-bucket design, you'll want to let a shop do
it or get some help from someone who's done it before."

He also said he cleaned the carbs, but they're overflowing slightly, which may just be a matter of adjusting the floats.

...So...what does all of this mean? I'm new to bike maintenance, and will be buying my first set of tools this weekend sometime, on the cheap. What do I need to pick up, and how do I begin this particular project? Will the manuals (I'll order one today) have all the information I need in them?

I'm generally great at taking stuff apart and fixing it, as long as it's computer-related, but never worked on a bike before. All advice and comments appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

kiawrench

the service manuals will explain the process step by step, and valve adjust isnt really that hard to do . a bit detailed, but a fun afternoon with tools and some math skills.
  as for "rumble "at idle, that may be something a bit different.
  check the member map, see who is your nearest vision rider, most have either done valves, or know the process, and if it is anything deeper, most have dealt with that too.

If you ,at any time, do not feel that you can do the service, do not start the work. Find a local bike shop and ask them if they can help out with a yamaha vision.

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

QBS

RE:Rumbling at idle:Does the sound disappear above 2500RPM?  Leave the valves alone for now.  They go many Ks' on miles between adjustments.  Cam chain adjustment is automatic and very trouble free.

Get a Haynes manual ASAP.

Does it leak fuel from the carbs with the engine off with the petcock in the run position?  If so, your petcock is leaking internally.  No rebuild kit is currently known.  Install after market in line fuel cut off valves.  Also your carb needle valves are either worn or burdened with trash.

If the carbs only leak when the petcock is in the prime position, then you only have the problem of needle valves as described above.  No inline cut valves needed.

Absolutely install inline fuel fillters ASAP if there are none installed now.  A good running V is a thing of joy.  Cheers.

Lucky

Slight correction QBS:
>>No rebuild kit is currently known.<<
Sirrus (on Ebay) has them for the 82's, but not the 83's.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

dchakrab

Thanks...checking member map now.

I've never worked on a bike before, so I have no idea what I can or can't handle on my own...it's going to be a learning process for me.  I'm fairly confident I can learn what I need to, given the existence of this forum and the helpfulness and friendliness of its members...and faith in my own ability to tinker.

I'm also ordering the manuals on CD today, so I'll hopefully be ready to tackle this thing next week.

-Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

Rob_OS23

You shouldn't pay for those manuals, they are available for free on Lucky's site www.xz550.com
That guy on ebay is just ripping people off.

Lucky

Actually Rob, I charge a little bit to cover the diks, packaging, postage & recoup the cost of some decent software to make the copies with. the rest goes to gas & tires...

--Lucky

QBS

Lucky: Right you are regarding petcock rebuild kit availability.  However, as stated in Daves' first post regarding his purchase contemplation, the V in question was described as an '83, for which (to my knowledge) there are currently known sources of petcock rebuild kits.  I wish it weren't so.  Cheers.

Lucky

ok, a couple of newbies here & i get confused, lol

dchakrab

QuoteYou shouldn't pay for those manuals, they are available for free on Lucky's site www.xz550.com
That guy on ebay is just ripping people off.

Indeed, Lucky's site is the place I was ordering them from. What he charges is absolutely minimal, and I can always print off a copy if I don't want to take the laptop out. I was told to budget $30 for a manual, so I'm definitely happy with the arrangement :)

-Dave.

Coil Coyle

Camtool Part Number: 35-3470
Brand: K&L
Name: VALVE SHIM TOOL:YAM XZ550

http://www.klsupply.com to find a dealer