"External" Modifications Improve Monoshock Performance

Started by YellowJacket!, February 09, 2008, 10:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

I am well on my way to eeking out better performance from my monoshock this spring.  I hit an all time high of 205 lbs this past December.  My 38 waist pants were quite snug and I was feeling miserable.  And, the only lucky I got was a picture of Pete.
So, in January I resolved to improve myself in order for my bike to perform better and I am happy to report that after the 1 month weigh in, I have dropped from 205 down to 185!  Probably more like 180, since I had all my gear (pager, phone, stethescope, shoes, scrubs and lab coat on for the last weigh in).  I am now wearing loose fitting 36 waist jeans  ;D and by spring, I hope to drop to a more respectable 160-165 lb range (Ideal for my medium framed 5'7" body)  The good thing is I a m working out too, so I have replaced some of the fat with muscle. ;D
So, in essence, my 1982 monoshock should perform better when I start riding again. ;D

YJ

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

It's often been said that  the best way to gain horsepower & handling is to lose weight.  Whether that is on the bike or the rider, it makes a huge improvement.

Congrats on becoming a shadow of your former self!  I'm kind of doing the same thing but not as quickly.  At 6 feet, I have a bit more frame to handle the weight, but I found myself at 230 shortly before Christmas.  I'm down to 218 as of today.  Shooting for 190 by May.  I haven't been that light since before law school!  Overall goal is to hit 180 by the end of Summer, 2008.  I'd do it quicker, but I like my barley pop too much.   ::)

H2
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

you guys make me sick  :D :D

MY Visions have no problems handling a few extra lbs, lol
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Brian Moffet

And here I'm trying to lose weight because my knees don't like the extra pounds...  (in this corner, at 6 foot 1, weighing 200 pounds...)

Brian

YellowJacket!

The secret to my success was to cut back in stages the amount of food I eat and still enjoy the things I like. (Beer, Margaritas, chips and salsa).  For the first two weeks, I cut in half the normal portion that I usually eat.  After I adjusted to that, I cut that portion in half.  I drink more water and rather than an extra bowl of oatmeal or a biscuit between breakfast and lunch, I eat a protein bar.
In addition, Vicki and I bought an ellyptical for each other for Christmas.  Man, what a workout.  I now enjoy running up five flights of stairs to code blues in the hospital.  ;D
The hospital has also graciously provided us with a full workout gym with FREE membership.  It includes 5 bowflex's, 6 ellypticals and bikes, a few stationary gyms and a couple universal gyms.  No free weights or treadmills though. Now a major work perk.  ;D
Afterlooking at the picture of Lucky in his "BowFlex" body pic, I thought to myslef...Damn, I gotta do somthing.  ;D  I now keep a copy of that picture on my fridge, locker, dashboard (bike and car), and on the mirror in the bathroom (Vicki likes it too).....Just kidding Pete.  ;D  ;D  ;D

I just feel plain better.  Can't wait to ride.

David

Brian Moffet

Quote from: YellowJacket! on February 09, 2008, 08:28:29 PM
Afterlooking at the picture of Lucky in his "BowFlex" body pic, I thought to myslef...Damn, I gotta do somthing.  ;D 

You know, if I got a photo of your head in 1/4 profile like that, you too could have that body (or any other body you want (Petra Verkaik ??? ))

Brian

YellowJacket!

Rick G

I've dropped from 268  to 245.5. More salads , less carbs . As for exercise , I push away from the table sooner  ;D My XL 350 is helping too , it takes more out of me than the Vision ,  just picking it up after falling off LOL :D :D . I'm still 4 feet around,  but may pants are looser.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

I'm just happy my formerly tight fitting 40 inch waist pants are now loose!  A few more pounds & I'll need to buy some new clothes.   ;D

I've just been eating less of everything - about 1/2.  That was advice mom got from her MD years ago & she lost 50 pounds.  It took some time, but she has managed to keep the weight off ever since.  My only real issue is that I like real beer - not that light stuff.  Not willing to totally give that stuff up, so I'll just take a while longer to get rid of the weight.  My way is working, so I'll stick with it.  I do want to get out for a long walk every day, though.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

Rob
I say drink the potent beer...but 1/2 as many. Better than 2x as many of the weaker distant cousin known as light beer.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Brian Moffet

h2olawyer

How true.   ;D

I have two types of beer I drink -- quality beer, normally either a microbrew or a homebrew and quantity beer which is almost always Coors Banquet.

H2O

Rick G

As for me , I don't dring that much beer . But, when I do It will be either, Molson, Carling or Fosters.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Night Vision

I used to partake in some Carling Black Lable with the father-in-law... don't see it around here anymore...

I did "find" some Carling at a place near Toronto.... yum.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

YellowJacket!

teetering on 179/180!  Better handling is just around the corner!  ;D

YJ

Lucky

Well, at least now if you out ride me i have a weight advantage & can kick your ass  ;D ;D :o ::)
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

LOL..   Itching for a ride in a bad sort of way.  Have a pillion that wants to go.  but thats another story that I'll leave you hangin.  Suffice it to say its not who you think.  :o

YJ

YellowJacket!

YEEEEEHHHHHHAAAAAA!!!

I haven't weighed in a couple days and decided to give it a shot today.  I usually weigh in in the morning before breakfast to get what people refer to as the most stable weight of the day for what it matters but todays weight was a mid day weight after a big breakfast and lunch.  The new weight.......

170!!!!! thats One hundred seventy!!! for those that are keeping track, thats 36lbs less than when I started!!!  so, I decided to try something else and dug down to the bottom of my jeans drawer and pulled out a well worn pair of Lee's and slid right into them and snapped the button.   The size......34!!!  I was a tight 38 when I started, my 36's slide right off and now I can button up my 34's with breathing room.  Thats over 4" off my waist!  (can you all tell I'm a bit excited?)  I haven't work 34's in over 15 years.  My goal of 165 is now well in sight with my "ideal" body weight being between 160 and 165.  I may shoot for 160 to give me a a little buffer.  So, since starting in January, I have averaged a healthy 12lb per month weight loss.  YJ handles much much better now.  ;D

David

jasonm.

FYI, the 82 pogo shock is junk compared to an '83 adj. damping shock. Find an '83 cheap enough and you won't care as much about extra pounds.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

YellowJacket!

been looking for one for a looonnnnggg time.  Pretty darn near unobtainium.  Would sure like to have one though if anyone has an extra. ;D

David