News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

announcement

Started by admin, April 15, 2005, 10:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

just a heads up, over the coming month or two we will be moving to a new provider. due to too many constraints with our existing one and various other issues we've decided to move onward and upward.

What does this mean to you ?  

we will be getting more bandwidth, hopefully faster, more reliable service (although we've only had 2 short outages in the past year.)  some upgrades and possibly some more features.
I'd like to thank those of you who have helped support this site with donations, purchases and participation in the raffles we've had. we will likely be doing more during the coming months.
another thing that will be happening is some of the posts will be consolidated and archived. With more than 22,000 posts over tha past 4+ years the forum is getting a bit cluttered.
all of these upgrades will likely take some time and so I've budgeted the time factor in order to reduce any outages that may occur. One thing I will say is that when we do the final move we may be down for a day or 2 till the dns servers complete the update, when this is ready to happen I will post a
notice to that effect.
Again much thanks to everyone for their support, if you have any thoughts or requests for changes/improvements please don't hesitate to post them here.

thanks

"keep the shiny side up, the rubber side down"

-Ron

:)

louthepou

Ron, I'll never say it often enough - your work is really, really appreciated.

Louis

Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

ProfessorRex

Thanks Ron! let us know if we can help, fundraiser, buy t-shirts whatever.

-Rex
Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

Sable

Ron,

Just a couple of things...
     Where can we make donations? Do you have a paypal address we can use?
     Also, an idea that would be worth exploring would be the addition of a chat room for quick advise or tips, whatever the case may be. I do have a certain amount of web-space available with my comcast account which could be used for this, comcast gives out 25MB of space for each e-mail account, and I have two, so 50MB of space is available.
     Also, I know that this would be an immense amount of work, and it was talked about in the past was more of a breakdown of topics for the forrum. Like a board for carbs, another for electrical systems, another for cooling systems, etc.

Just food for thought..

~Sable
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

Lucky

I'm wondering about the Forum itself. will it remain in the same format? (if it ain't broke...)  will all the previous posts be available for a search? I've found my self searching as far as 2 & a half years back or more on occasion. the map? etc?

Do i get to keep my post count? ;D  ;D

thanks, --Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Extent

I wouldn't mind moving over to a phpBB forum, I have a serious dislike for flat file based apps, however the administrater well.... has to administrate the forum, so whatever they know best.  ROV isn't so large that I think it would pull a BeginnerBikes.com so I've really nothing to complain about..

I don't think we need to split off new sections, there isn't so much discussion on different topics that it would really warrent it, only thing I could possibly wish for would be a seperate general discussion forum for non-tech non-vision topics, just to encourage a little more off topic discussion  ;D

Maybe what we should do is get a couple people together and put together a FAQ/Forum archive or "best of ROVF" page/section/ebook-thing.  Run thru the old and archive posts and pull some of the most important or most interesting information and discussions and organize them for easier reading (outside of the forum)  I really think it would be great to be able to run thru all of the original stator issue discussions and the like.

I could make a section of my forum available to people who want to keep in touch during the change over, but 2 days really isn't too bad at all
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

h2olawyer

Ron -

Same concerns as Lucky.  Don't want to lose all the history of the board!  Some great stuff back there.

Looking forward to an updated look, though.

Thanks again for all you do to keep this board up & running!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

admin

ok, to answer some questions....
While I'm still researching all of the details, I expect to be either moving the board intact or starting fresh with a new one and keeping the old board read-only and searchable just as it is now.
I have just as much interest in keeping all of the information handy believe me, the site goes all the way back to 1998 so if a question or an answer exists about this bike it's here.

I've already started to break out another section or two to try and keep the technical stuff together and move the non-tech to it's own area. this will help speed up searches as well as save time when you are hunting down details. So guys, don't freak out if you see a post moved to another section as appropriate.
we've talked about this before and decided not to back then but we've grown significantly and I think an offtopic area makes sense. some things will be moved to the archive area, such as old swap shop stuff, eventually some of those will probably be deleted or consolidated.

as far as a particular board goes, there are literally dozens of packages out there, I'm evaluating 2 of them now for things like
performance, features and usability. several of them allow for importing our existing messages/members etc. so we may go that way if it's feasable.

Lastly, I'm looking for some more pictures and thinking about running another raffle or possibly a contest.
Like maybe for example wheelie pictures, the best wheelie picture gets a t-shirt and possibly incorporated into a new site design...        get your digital camera's out!

I should probably do a disclaimer on that one
 ;)

-Ron

louthepou

Picture of the best hight speed tank slapper?  ;D

I'm all for small fund raising initiatives.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

fiddlesticks

Hey Ron

Looking forward to seeing what youve got up your sleeves. Heres a thought to ponder. I dont know if you are sticking with the yabb format or looking for something else. Another forum I am a member of uses envision power board. Yes I did say enVISION he he. Anyway the envision boards are quick and run very well. I have know idea about these things or what they or the yabb format costs. Its just a thought.
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

MrMe

I work in the " feild " so any remote help ya need just ask i know the "issues" that can arise from such a task.
Brian

admin

update:
 well the new site is coming along fairly well, there is still much work to be done but I'm sure you all will appreciate the improvements. For those of you who would like to check on the progress of the new site or offer comments you are welcome to look around.
 http://www.ridersofvision.net

we are fast approaching the switchover date, I will be posting more information and all the links will be converted to point to the new location.  also, please do not post on the new board, new posts will be wiped out on the final conversion day.

on the lighter side, I still haven't seen anyone offer to post their vision antics pictures....   :o  
  I guess I'll have to get the ball rolling...

as usual all disclaimers apply, professional rider on a closed course, please do not try this at home etc.    
 ;)

-Ron

Rob_OS23

The new site looks awesome!

Venture

Lookin' good. Ron...

Lucky

Ron, your bot on the chat page, xzrider, is horny...
it kept asking me my sign, & "why do you want to do me so much"... lol

admin

c'mon now lucky you know you cant get a date with a chatroom bot... lol !!!  don't worry though, your secret is safe with me ha ha !!     ;D

I wll say that I had some fun setting that up, guess I need to get out more, I had never heard of a "chatbot" before.
in any case the stock dialog does leave something to be desired...
ahh the things that amuse small minds lol

I am looking forward to see how the performance of the chat is with 8 or 10 people in it, we should probably schedule a meeting to test it out.

-Ron

Lucky

i'm there now, just playing with the new site, snooping around.

I gotta hand it to you, I can barely edit mine, & it looks like it!

Lucky

I like the calender too, is it possable to add events to it such as dates to upcomming rides? to links to other groups rides (weblinks)

admin

QuoteI like the calender too, is it possable to add events to it such as dates to upcomming rides? to links to other groups rides (weblinks)

yep, it's possible.
check out the 17th of June.
http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?action=calendar

this is one of the features I really liked about this board, many of the things that had to be modified on other boards are built in.

-Ron

h2olawyer

The more I play around in the new site, the better it gets!  Great chat Sat. night.  Much of the tuning info was beyond me but I got a good education anyway!  Awaiting the change with much antici....................................................pation!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.