News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Carb stuff, still, again, EDITED

Started by Back_in_the_Saddle, July 17, 2004, 02:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back_in_the_Saddle

Soooooooooo, I put in the kit. no gas is being shot into the carbs. Now I'm wondering what the hell I  :-X up. There's gas in the bowls. I replaced each piece one by one on one carb at a time. I dropped the ball in then the weight, then the nozzle back on.

Oh, so, there appears to be a jet on the bottom of the nozzles that shoot directly into the carb, I was unable to get these to come off. I have feeling thats it so my question, finally, is do those come off, and how. soaked 'em but it doesn't seem to help.

Humber

I never touch acceleration nozzles... they are precious, fregile etc and difficult to mess with....

I always spray carb spray inside and it worked for me on 4 carbs, including the last 83 on thate I am gonna use now -  was severely clogged....
nie ma podpis?w

Walt_M.

They will come off but you do have to be CAREFUL. You can use a fine wire, Lucky sez a strand of picture wire will do, to clear the nozzles. Spray carb cleaner in to see if you have a good stream out.
Whale oil beef hooked!

scootertramp

be the carb and treat it as if it is an eggshell..
the carbs work on vacume so running a line from a small test can that hangs on your handle bar will help tropuble shoot some. test tank while it's off the bike for even full gas flow at the desired setting.. then rune ALL the tubeing including.filter..check .
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

Lucky

no those are not jets & they don't come off.  use a single strand of picture hanging wire to clean them out.

Probably the check valve under the accel pump diaphram is clogged.  if you pull the diaphram & housing off you will see a small hole, should be a shiny 'thing' behind it. it's a ball with a spring behind it. you can use a stiff sewing needle to move the ball around a bit & then up & down, soaking it in spray cleaner as you go.

if you look in the bowl above this check ball you'll see a brass plug, this is how it's installed, but I wouldn't drill it & pull it unless YOUR 1000% POSITIVE you can't get it unclogged.  if you do pull this plug, you'll have to figure out a way to seal it well.  i've never had to pull one yet.

good luck
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Back_in_the_Saddle

Ok, ready to kill something. Thanks all for the advice. I remember reading that Tizod had the same issue. I reread the post about the same time Lucky posted about the check ball. I did that and no luck yet.

This may be a dumb question, BUT, does the gas that is spraying from the nozzle come from the bowl or directly from the line. I'm trying to understand this because i'm rather tired of putting the carb on and off. In other words, if I have gas in the bowl, can I move the accelerator doohicky to see if the nozzle is spraying or do I have to reinstall the carb each time, hoses and all to check. A frickin carb rebuild shouldn't take all day. I'm goin crazy.

Lucky

if you fill the rear bowl on the bench (sure you can use water) you can test it.I've done it plenty of times. the hose going to the front carb fitting must be hooked up & needs to fit tight on the fitting.

if you pump the lever several times & nothing comes out, pull the hose off the front carb & see if you have fluid.  then pump it some more while pinching the very end of the hose & see if you can make enough pressure to make it squirt out the hose. if not, plug that hose where it would go into the front fitting & pump some more, it should squirt into the rear carb. if it does squirt, then the front (& rear probably) nozzle is still clogged.

if you still don't get fluid out the rear nozzle, eiter the diaphram is bad (not likely since it's new but anything is possable) or the passageways in the rear carb are clogged.

but the check ball does move & there is spring tension on it right?

Rick G

If your going to bench test them with water , I'd run some alcohol through them before you try to run them. Turn them upside down and dump every thing out befor you reinstall them.l
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Back_in_the_Saddle

Alright, pulled the carb off again. I bet you I could take that carb off and disassemble it quicker than a marine on an M-1. Anywho, fiddled around with that "supposed" ball Lucky is talking about. I still haven't seen it. I think I saw the spring. So i jiggled the dam thing and sprayed it a bunch, put it back, no luck. Pulled it again, spent more time spraying and stickin it with a pin, then it sprayed. Woohoo! Put it on the bike, started up, died, tried to start it again, no go. Sprayed some starter fluid in the carb from the side, it tried to start. I pulled the tank and air box, no dam spray. I suppose its still that accelerator ball doohickey but it seems to be getting stuck.

Any suggestions? I want to fill that chamber with chem dip but I don't know how to seal it. I think it will eat thru the duct tape I'm thinkin about. Help!

nvdranger

just to double check..you have cleaned all the passageways (w/picture wire or welder tip clearners maybe) correct??  The passageways were my problem the first 2 or 3 time I toar my carbs apart.  Pulling the carbs on and off is very frustrating, we all know that - I've done it probably 8 or 10 times or more in the 6 months I've been tryin to get mine going.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

tryder

Those of you with lots of experience putting your carbs back together might be able to help me hook mine up correctly, need info on fuel line connections. More details in my other post...Thanks....

Back_in_the_Saddle

Soooo Confuuuuused.
So, I jiggle the accelerator pump ball doohickey, of which I've never seen the ball mind you, the spring only. I fill up the bowls, and it sprays. I put it on the bike, it fires up, revs high and loud, then dies. I try to start it again and no go. I check the spray, gone.
Rinse, repeat.
Same result, no spray. I think the bowls are not refilling. What is the deal here? the assumption is that something is clogged from the tank to the bowls. Could someone give me the complete and total morons breakdown of how it gets from tank to bowl. Could it be the acclerator pump itself.
I was following behind Tizod about a week with issues, he bought a new bike. I'll tell ya, I'm close. AAAAAHHHHHHHHH! It's a matter of pride at this point.

Lucky

fill the tank, a tank with a low fuel level will not properly prime the carbs.

set the petcock on "prime" you will see gas moving in the fuel filter for a few seconds. (you DID install an inline filter right? have you pulled the petcock to be sure the screen isn't clogged?)

now switch the petcock to "ON". (petcock only flows fuel freely in prime). On "on" or "res" the engine must be running to provide vacuume to the petcock, but there is plenty in the bowls to start the bike.

fuel goes to the fuel pump (big round thing, right side of carbs) which helps draw fuel thru petcock, & fills the bowls

You now have the carbs properly primed & ready to go.

If your bike runs at a very high rpm right away, either the idle screw is set too high, carbs are way out of synq, or you got a big vacuume leak.
Fully choked the bike should idle around 17-2K cold
--Lucky

Back_in_the_Saddle

Quick question regarding all the jets in the carb. When I reinstalled them, I screwed them down, not tight, but down to the end. Should these be all the way down or turned out a bit? if, so, how far out?

also, I appear to have some washers in the kit that I am unsure of where they go. I didn't pull any washers off. I have a midsize one and a tiny one, both metal. Suggestions?

And yes Lucky I have an inline filter. The gas is flowing through it on prime but doesn't seem to be making it to the bowls. Gas level is low so I'm gonna fill the tank today and see if I can't get this baby goin.

Lucky

if it's a really tiny washer (will sit on the tip of a pen) then it goes on the pilot screws, inbetween the spring & o-ring.  you'll have to match up the midsized one, but it probably goes on the pilot jet plug under the bottom of the carb (slotted screw)

Jets have to be screwed down, tight but don't Gorilla them.

The pilot screws NEVER get screwed tight, you'll ruin them. the should be set where the old ones were to start (2.5-4.5 turns out from lightl seated)

Have you checked the fuel pump for cloggs?

--Lucky

Back_in_the_Saddle

It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,

the reason no fuel was shooting was because the petcock vacuum hose was pinched. Nice.  The battery needs to be charged so a few more thing to do,

BUT,

It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,It started and ran, it started and ran,

h2olawyer

All work and no play makes B.I.T.S. a dull boy!  

Or is it :

No TV and No Beer make Homer something something . . ..

Anyway, FANTASTIC!  I can almost see the grin from here!

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

nvdranger

those damn details always get you.  glad to hear the v is up and running.  

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

Back_in_the_Saddle

Okay, so it starts and runs.

I went ahead and adjusted the idle, gonna mess with the jets next.

So, I throw on the helmet, put it in gear, roll out to the street, start to move forward and it cuts off. Battery is bad so, anyway, also, ran super hot. I've changed the coolant and so on. any suggestions as to what might make it stop running. I've put it in gear while sittin and it seems ok. Now, this is first few times this thing has sat and run in at least 5 years.

h2olawyer

B.I.T.S. -

The engine dying could be caused by the bad battery.  Your TCI requires good voltage to keep the coils firing.  Get it started & check the voltage @ the battery terminals.  You should be seeing about 14.5 V @ idle.  A bad battery could be taking a fair mount of voltage away.  The new battery will help you diagnose charging system problems.

The overheating is most likely from air in the cooling system.  There is a bleed bolt on the hose that runs along the frame, under the tank.  You may need to bleed the air off at least once - mine needed two times to get the air out of the system.  The procedure is in both the Haynes & factory manuals.

Now that it's running, the real work can begin!  ::)  At least now, you should be able to see noticeable changes as you get things done.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.