News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

How I spent my day off!

Started by Sable, July 23, 2004, 12:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sable

Ok... having a day off is not a big deal, however,  having a day off to work on the V is!!
I decided to hit the electrical gremlins where it hurts...

They were a little tough at first, but I was able to beat them into submission with the generic Radio Shack electrical contact cleaner and a pair of vice grips  ;D....

And I was able to finnish off the day with a nice 20 mile ride on my newly faired V...
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

nvdranger

The bike looks great!! ?I especially like the small fairing and the paint. ?Hope I could get mine looking that way soon. ?
I plan on attacking the wiring as well, but I will hold off til this winter when I can leave it apart for days at a time w/o the rush to want to ride.  I'm gonna swap out my gauges, get a round headlight, and paint my handlebars all at the same time and that will be a perfect time to get all the wiring done.

LookNgood!

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

Superfly

Wow, great looking bike, I completely did my wiring system about 2 months ago, it is great now because everything works again!! It takes some time, but it is worth every minute!!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

I want to congradulate you guys on doing the electricals. it is one of the most tedious tasks there is (I think, anyway) but for a 20 plus year old bike, it really needs to be done.

I like the V with a round headlight, but personally I think the rectangular h/l matches the bikes angular lines better, but that's just me...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

nvdranger

its not so much the look i'm worried about or going for.  maybe theres something up with my headlight i have.  when I go around corners or curves at night the rectangle sometimes makes it hard to see "through/around" the corner, no matter how i adjust it.  it makes me nervous at night to outride my headlight, especially when i live off a highway with lots of friggen corn fields/open land with lots of dear around.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

h2olawyer

That is a good looking bike! ?8) ?A blue copy of mine - same fairing & engine guards.  I live in such a dry climate, I haven't had the electrical corrosion most of you have experienced. ?I took most of the connectors apart & did the CLR treatment last winter but I couldn't see any real difference. ?Things were clean & shiny before I started & stayed that way after I was done. ?It has lived a "sheltered" life in either a garage or storage shed and has only 7,200 miles. ?Surely, that has helped keep the rust & corrosion to a minimum.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Sable

My next day off is going to be polishing the engine case ;D

~Sable
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

GA_Wolf

H2O, Sable,
What make/ model faring is that?
I'm picking up Waapman's 82 for my wife and she'll probably want a faring.  Was thinking of a universal windscreen, but they usually are designed to bold to standard bars, not they type the "V" has.

Sable

This one is commonly referred to as the "shark" fairing... there is another 1/4 or "sport" fairing (I actually like the looks of the sport fairing better, but the sharkie is growing on me).
     Since I put the shark fairing on, I have actually been contemplating on repainting the whole bike again... this time a flat military green so I can paint the shark mouth and eyes on the fairing, kinda like an A-10 Thunderbolt II (Tankkiller) ;D

~Sable
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

Rick G

JC Whitney  has a plexy shield type of wind shield the will mount on a Vision very easily , in spite of the caution in there catalogue . If you are interested I'll  I'll get you the part number and describe how to mount it . I had one on my first vision.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

h2olawyer

Sable -

With that paint scheme, maybe you would have to change your forum handle to Warthog? ?Sounds like a great look to me. ?I'm glad it was brought back from the Flying Tigers era. ?Always thought that war paint looked mean.

As an aside, the restored B-17 (Nine - O - Nine) & B-24 (The Dragon & its Tail) were here on their almost annual visit last weekend. ?They travel around the country, making them available for self guided walk through tours and if you've got a spare $400, you can get a 1/2 hour flight on one. ?Way out of my budget but sounds like a great time!

P.S. to GA_Wolf - the fairing is a Yamaha model (not sure who actually made it but it was made in Canada) & was also offered for the 750 Virago of the same era.  I had the opportunity to order the full fairing when I bought my V but had pushed my credit as far as I wanted with just the bike.  In hindsight, I recognize my error.  I also got the engine guard & belt buckle at the same time.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

GA_Wolf

Thanks guys,
Rick if you could send me the part number...I think I know the one you are talking about`  but if you can send me the part number just to verify it.  Is it the sport faring style windshield AGL071013N (Clear) AGL071014T (Smoke)?  And any mounting hints would be great.  I know my wife will want a faring to cut windblast.