Carb stuff, still, again, EDITED

Started by Back_in_the_Saddle, July 17, 2004, 02:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sable

Should the voltage at the battery be 14.5 at idle? I ran the fault finding chart from electrex and at idle I was at 13.8 and at 2,500 rpm & 5,000 rpm I was at 14.3... According to the chart, my charging system is working fine... After I cleaned all of the connections I checked it and got the same numbers...should I be worried?

~ Sable
1982 Yamaha Vision
1982 Motobecane 50V
1975 Kawasaki H-1
1972 Rokon Trailbreaker

Lucky

13.5-13.8 at idle

when you bleed the cooling system, do it on the center stand and have someone push down on the back of the bike & block the engine up so the ft wheel is off the ground (per the Yamaha TSB)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

h2olawyer

I've always observed 14 - 14.7 V @ idle.  Both with the original stator (while it was working) and with the new one from Rick's.  I also changed to a new (but original type) R/R.  The volts immediately after starting are around 13.8 but within a few seconds are back up to 14+ @ idle.  I keep a Battery Tender Jr. connected whenever I'm not riding or working on it so that may be why I have a higher reading.  Voltage readings between 13.5 & 14.9 are OK.

When my stator fried, it would never charge above 13.3 volts at any RPM.  The higher the engine speed, the lower the voltage.  I don't think you have anything to worry about, Sable.  At least no more than the rest of us who wonder when the next stator will fail.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.