News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Metal object in oil pan--how bad is this?

Started by pullshocks, February 24, 2008, 04:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullshocks

I was getting started on the starter clutch bolt project today.

After the oil drained out, I stuck my magnetic screw driver in the drain hole and out came this metal strip.  I can't get it all the way out.  Anybody know what it is?  Is this normal?

Compared to Fiat Doctor's '83 (the only other V I have heard), mine had more of a clattery engine sound.  I was hoping the starter clutch bolts would take care of it, but now I'm getting scared.

Walt_M.

That looks like an oil level strip, is yours still on the cap?
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

uh...we don't have oil level strips on our caps...

looks like it might be part of the wire retainer over the stator wires.  finish pulling the cover off & see what you can see.  don't stress yet
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Tiger

:o Whatever that is, its got to come out. Can you see the "other end" by using a flash light??

If you remove the left side cover, (to do the starter clutch fix), you may be able to remove it through the oil hole below the flywheel...(which you need to block, when you remove the flywheel to do the starter clutch fix).

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

pullshocks

I have looked at all the parts fiches and pictures in the Haynes manual, and don't see anything like it.  Thin like a feeler gauge, but pretty easy to bend.

It seems to have a hook or tab at the end that keeps it from rotating more than about 3/4 turn, or pulling out.

Rick G

Pull , I still have a Vision engine apart on the bench , I'll poke around in the rubble and see if I can find that thing , I can't remember seeing anythig like it before. I also have a second one to pull apart so i'll get busy and clean the bench off and  pull it apart too!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

i'll bet it's a feeler guage or something used durring a repair or initial assembly..  maybe some mysterious yamaha only tool worth millions... ;)

pullshocks

For those who have had the engine all the way apart, does the oil pan area form a somewhat protected basin, almost like a separate compartment or is the rotating crankshaft exposed?

Whatever it is, it has been there for a while, and judging by the lack of metal particles in my oil (at least metal attracted to a magnet), doesn't seem to be getting chewed up.....

pullshocks

Well I clamped the visegrips on it and gave a firm pull and it flexed enough to come out.  Here's what it looks like

inanecathode

Wtf is that?

Tongued washer bit? Looks almost like the holddown that holds the stator wires back on the case cover but, whats it doing in the sump :O
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Tiger

:) Whatever it may be, its good that you managed to remove it. I would like to see picture's of the inside of the left side cover, when you remove that to do the starter clutch fix...it may give us a clue to your "foreign body"... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

swat1

tensioner slipper part of ? cam chain guide part of ?
E.O.H                                                                                                            equal opportunity h8ter

pullshocks

Swat, I wondered about the cam chain guides too, but it doesn't look like the pictures. 

Tiger, I'll take some more pictures.  Maybe you can spot something I can't.  The stator wire brackets are all there, and they are made of much thicker metal anyway.

Looking at the manual some more, it looks like there is an oil baffle on the right side, and I wonder if it could be a piece of that, but what could cause it to break or shear off?   

There also looks to be a fairly thin metal piece that is bolted in with the oil pump

I think I'll pull the left cover off too...

Rick G

Swat, I checked my set of cases today and theres NO way that thing could get into the gear box  or crank shaft area, and very little chance of it dropping down from above , there's  a nearly fully enclosed oil sump down there with very  small access from above. I went over all the parts that came out when I disassembled the engine  and there's nothing like that in there.
Pull the cover  and check  the  retainer for the  stator and  ignition trigger coils. If thats not it,then its something that was dropped in there at the factory
We used to get  the odd tool in the crate , when assembling bikes in the 60'ts, sort of a souvenir.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

vadasz1

looks like part of the crankcase oil guide plate.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

pullshocks

I think I figured out what shape it was originally, and tried to bend it back.  The more I look at it and study the manual, I think it was a pice of the narrow leg that comes off the oil baffle shown on p 73 of the factory manual and page 81 of the Haynes manual.

Rick G could you take a look and tell me what you think.

I have no theory how it would get broken or sheared off.

Tanno

Was your V abducted by a UFO and this was implanted?  ;D
Industrial Technician by trade -- Curiosity by nature, tinkerer by choice.
"Handle every situation like a dog would. If you can't eat it or screw it; Piss on it and walk away!" -- Unknown

Lucky

maybe some Yamaha mechanic, after doing a 3rd stator under warrenty, decided he was going to put the bike out of it's misery once & for all..
silly wabbit!

Rick G

You bet, I'll take another look at the cases and report back later today.
Rick G

Kenny

Back in 89 when the airline I worked for bought 12 new A310 Airbus's . One of the guys was doing a required Boroscope  of one of the GE Cf80c2a2 engines and he spotted a complete roll of .032 inconel lock wire in one of the Combustion cans! This would have been in when the engine was assembled as it has no way of surviving the compressor blades / turbine blades! This work is  a dual signature item.
      Anyhow I would sure have a good look inside both sides for other bits and or where it came from, if it is a spare part you should be able to identify it from the same piece in the engine.
  Good luck   ;)
          Cheers Ken S. (from some where in the world) ???       
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92